Open [STEAM] Warband says its running, but will not properly start (to play)

Users who are viewing this thread

I've had this problem for the last year. I have done very single suggested fix I have found through the forums here and on reddit. M&B Warband will not launch through Steam or through TaleWorlds direct download. It will says its running on Steam (and/or on Task Manager as well) but will never popup to allow me to play. I have put over 100 hours into the game and find it frustrating I can not play it, especially for the past year (on and off).

Thank you for such a quick reply. I am trying to follow along but I have a few issues, I have it downloaded on a another drive and even though I have gone to C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming the Warband folder is empty. I have seen many users in these forums reference "Ride Chomp" but I have no folders with such a name. My file directory for my steam warband download looks like this: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MountBlade Warband

yet I do not have a profiles.dat , unless it is in another sub folder?

Thank you for such a quick reply. I am trying to follow along but I have a few issues, I have it downloaded on a another drive and even though I have gone to C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming the Warband folder is empty. I have seen many users in these forums reference "Ride Chomp" but I have no folders with such a name. My file directory for my steam warband download looks like this: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MountBlade Warband

yet I do not have a profiles.dat , unless it is in another sub folder?
What is your operating system? Toggle the option to see hidden files and then check again that directory. If there still are no files, then the culprit must be somewhere else.

What is your operating system? Toggle the option to see hidden files and then check again that directory. If there still are no files, then the culprit must be somewhere else.
Windows 10. I have hidden files enabled and there is definitely no folder of that name :/ I have 0 mods downloaded so I'm not sure what it is.

Your issue sounds similar to mine, so I will copy and paste from another forum post what worked for me.

BLUF: I believe this problem is caused by OneDrive and the solution lies in making sure the savegame and user profile data is saved on the local device.

Details: I've finally cracked this code (for me, anyway). I had this exact same issue, and found someone who recommended to re-install Windows 11. I did, and it worked, but only for a short time before it went back to the same exact issues - no window, no program, just hung in the launching sequence. Then I tried finagling with my savegame files and user profile data, deleting both, and lo and behold it worked again, just in time for it not to work again.

It occurred to me later in a flash that the only difference was me turning onedrive off and on. Essentially, the savegame and profiles were being saved in the cloud, but when I shut off onedrive and removed it from my startup sequence, then the data was trapped in the cloud while still having a semi-valid filepath. Thusly, MB would launch but then get stuck when there was no data to pull from.

I right-clicked the files/data and chose to save to local machine and it's worked flawlessly since then.

I really hope this easy solution helps the community! I've seen a huge rash of these problems which had the same exacty symptoms as mine, but with no real solution.

Your issue sounds similar to mine, so I will copy and paste from another forum post what worked for me.

BLUF: I believe this problem is caused by OneDrive and the solution lies in making sure the savegame and user profile data is saved on the local device.

Details: I've finally cracked this code (for me, anyway). I had this exact same issue, and found someone who recommended to re-install Windows 11. I did, and it worked, but only for a short time before it went back to the same exact issues - no window, no program, just hung in the launching sequence. Then I tried finagling with my savegame files and user profile data, deleting both, and lo and behold it worked again, just in time for it not to work again.

It occurred to me later in a flash that the only difference was me turning onedrive off and on. Essentially, the savegame and profiles were being saved in the cloud, but when I shut off onedrive and removed it from my startup sequence, then the data was trapped in the cloud while still having a semi-valid filepath. Thusly, MB would launch but then get stuck when there was no data to pull from.

I right-clicked the files/data and chose to save to local machine and it's worked flawlessly since then.

I really hope this easy solution helps the community! I've seen a huge rash of these problems which had the same exacty symptoms as mine, but with no real solution.
That sounds exactly like the problem I am having. Could you help me? What do you mean saving the files to the local machine, how did you do that.

Hey Bigdabill7, I can help you.

To summarize, OneDrive (when you activate it) default saves files to the cloud. That means even the save game files in the "My Games" folder. For me, I almost always disable OneDrive because it is an extra drain on resources I don't need, but when I do that then it cuts off my access to the cloud. You see, the annoying thing is that once OneDrive has auto-saved your data to the cloud, then you need to be connected to the cloud to access it because it pulls it off your machine to save space.
My solution is this:
1. Make sure that OneDrive is on, first of all, and that your files are indeed accessible.
2. Right click on the save game files, and any other files you want to access while offline or not connected, and choose to "save to the machine." I don't remember if that is the exact terminology, but it is something like that.
3. Enjoy Mount and Blade again!

I scratched my head for months trying to figure it out, but I finally had a flash of insight one day when it magically worked (I was stoked), I turned off OneDrive, and then it went back to not working, much to my puzzled disappointment.

Here are a couple links which might help you understand more:

I hope this helps for you!

Back
Top Bottom