Steam, Warband and 5x5 CD Keys Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

The Shadow

Recruit
Update as of 1/21/2011

Daegoth said:
Hello everyone,

As some of you know, during a certain period of time, Steam provided you 5x5 keys instead of 4x4 keys. People who bought their game during that time, received those 5x5 keys. The disadvantage of those keys is that with those, you won't be able to install and play the game without Steam. In order to provide a solution, we allowed people who has those faulty keys to receive a 4x4 key from our web site. All you need to do is to register your serial key to Taleworlds site and it will automatically provide you a 4x4 key.

UPDATE: Sorry for the wrong explanation. You have to visit the link below in order to convert your 5x5 serial key to a 4x4 one:

http://www.taleworlds.com/main.aspx?dir=convertserial.aspx

If you have any questions or problems regarding this, please feel free to pm me.

What Happened:
Ok, so if you are one of the few unlucky people that got a 5x5 CD key from Steam, hopefully this will throw some light on the subject.

What happened I don't know for sure.  Most likely, during the sale that many people bought M&B Warband during, Steam ran out of keys, and generated their own.  M&B Warband required a key for activation at the time, and the Steam generated key did not work.  TaleWorlds released a patch for the Steam version only, which removed the activation.

What to do:
So if you own the Steam version, you no longer need to activate M&B Warband.  Note: If you own the retail version, I have no idea whether or not you still need to activate.  However, if you do own the retail version, you most likely will get a 4x4 key, which is valid.

Many people are complaining, saying they deserve a 4x4 key.  This is false.  Your game will run fine without the key, if you bought it from Steam.  You can play with non-Steam players, nothing in the game will be affected.  You own a completely valid, full version of this fantastic game.

I want my key!  I deserve a key!  Games come with keys!
No where in the description does it say you will get a key, so no, you are not entitled to a key.  There is no legal action you can take, I'm sorry.  You do have a proof of purchase, in your Steam account. 

Steam uses this method for many games.  In fact, very few games from Steam do not need a serial key, because a serial key is only used as a DRM, which Steam itself takes the place of.  There is nothing special you get with a key.

Bottom Line Is:
-You don't need a key.
-You weren't promised a key.
-Your game will work fine without a key.

I sincerely hope that this will put some closure on the key topic.  It's possible the developers will distribute 4x4 keys to people that have 5x5 keys, but it may be impossible to tell who has a 5x5 key, so don't place any bets on it. 

As of 1/21/11, TaleWorlds released a fix for the 5x5 Steam Keys.

The Icons:
I'm afraid you'll have to sacrifice these.  All they do really is store your serial key anyway, which you don't need to do with the Steam version, but still, I do recognize the fact that it's aesthetically pleasing.  Perhaps the devs will make the site accept 5x5 keys.  Maybe it already does.  I have no way of testing it out.

As for on Paradox Interactive, try sending a PM to the community manager Kallocain, she's pretty helpful, and will most likely be able to help you register it on their forums. 

Now go enjoy your game!  :grin:

I like this, but still doesn't help my cause, I bought it AT A REAL LIFE STORE, Not online, and its like download steam? and im like erm i guess your not really giving me another choice, so i did then its like key code, Well my key isnt even 5x5 its 5x5x5x5x4  Sooo yeah :/

This was a common problem.

When printing, apparently the label just wasn't long enough, and one digit didn't make it on.  You can try re-adding it to Steam, by copy and pasting all the digits you currently have, and then just adding a random extra one, through process of elimination. 

So like xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx1 and if that doesn't work, replace the one with a 2, and so on. 

Oh, and real life?  Serves you right.  :razz: 

Because of certain people trolling, I've locked this topic.  If you have any further questions on this issue, or you want help sorting it out, I'd be more than happy to try and help, so feel free to PM me, or just start a new thread, as others know far more than I.  :wink:

Please don't PM me hate mail.​

i don't know if i am doing this wrong but when i put my serial key in that i got from Avangate i get this error:
Invalid serial code syntax
i have a 4x4 code i bought it the day it came out

I have a 4x4 key and I keep getting kicked from every game I am either banned form servers or kicked from them after I actually join them. What Can I do?

jcan215 said:
I have a 4x4 key and I keep getting kicked from every game I am either banned form servers or kicked from them after I actually join them. What Can I do?
Same here ;(

Would it be possible to get 5x5 key when you already have 4x4 key just for steam achievements? :>

no, that's impossible. You can add the game to Steam as a non-Steam game, but you don't get achievements then.

I have the same problem like you, I hope there will be a solution, sooner or later...

Maybe it is impossible, i read somewhere tough that you can ask taleworlds for such key, i send them email but so far they did respond. This was 3 days ago...

I have a CD Key that is MBWB-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

I bought the game yesterday on steam and every time I try to join a server, it just says I'm entering an invalid serial key. Please help, it's being very annoying.

Zidouj said:

I bought the game yesterday on steam and every time I try to join a server, it just says I'm entering an invalid serial key. Please help, it's being very annoying.
this is happening to me as well i purchased the game yesterday and it doesn't work...

Bstor said:
Zidouj said:

this is happening to me as well i purchased the game yesterday and it doesn't work...

Yeah, I emailed the support team, Hopefully they will respond to me soon :/

Also having issues with a key I purchased off of steam this weekend, the key I have for NW works, but my Native M&B key doesn't work when I try to log into MP servers... e-mailed taleworlds and opened a steam ticket(yesterday) and still no response.

Go to your steam page for Mount and Blade, go to the right side, and there should be a button that says "Serial Key" if not, right click on the name in the right hand game list and there should be an option to view the key.

Back
Top Bottom