Statement regarding Plans for Singleplayer and Engine III

Users who are viewing this thread

I mean if anyone is wondering about their imagination remember they called an empire just "The empire"

I mean if anyone is wondering about their imagination remember they called an empire just "The empire"
"Empire" is okay, but Northern/Southern/Western Empire are lazy placeholder names that somehow made it into the released game.
For example, when Constantinople was taken by the Latins and the Byzantine Empire fragmented into factions, they were called the Empire of Nicaea, the Despotate of Epirus and the Empire of Trebizond. The people who founded them didn't think of their geographical position relative to something else. Imagine the Trebizond diplomats explaining to some Asian nomads "we are the eastern empire lol" "east of what?" "east of the western empire lmao".

"Empire" is okay, but Northern/Southern/Western Empire are lazy placeholder names that somehow made it into the released game.
For example, when Constantinople was taken by the Latins and the Byzantine Empire fragmented into factions, they were called the Empire of Nicaea, the Despotate of Epirus and the Empire of Trebizond. The people who founded them didn't think of their geographical position relative to something else. Imagine the Trebizond diplomats explaining to some Asian nomads "we are the eastern empire lol" "east of what?" "east of the western empire lmao".

As the question of what these three realms called themselves and how they were called by other contemporary nations, as well as later historiographers, is still not sufficent to discredit that the "northern" or such names are unfortunate, I must agree with you.

It would be better to title them "Domain of Lucon" or "Realm of Lucon" (and other leaders) for example, as such were the names of post-roman proto-states in Gaul in the 5th century (for example, the Kingdom of Soissons reffered to itself as Regnum Romanorum, but in historiography you could encounter it named the Realm of Syagrius, or Domain instead of Realm.) Aside from the Realm of Syagrius, the domain of the last Roman emperor Julius Nepos is sometimes reffered to as "the Realm of Nepos", as it stretched from Tarsatica further south along the Dalmatian coast.

A better analogy would be to compare it with the Roman crisis of the third century. We have no West, East and Central Rome. But we do have Gallic, Palmyrene and Roman empires, as well as other, smaller, domains.

So if there are in the future for example independent clans in Bannerlord, it would be best to name them "Realm of *First Name of founder*", as it was case in historiography.

It's normal for any pretender empires to call themselves formally The One True and Only Empire and such. But what really matters is how the rest of the world called them. I think that they would be more likely called by the geographic region they roughly occupy or some big city there like in the Byzantine examples, and less likely to be called by a person (because the person eventually dies or is overthrown, but the state remains).

It's normal for any pretender empires to call themselves formally The One True and Only Empire and such. But what really matters is how the rest of the world called them. I think that they would be more likely called by the geographic region they roughly occupy or some big city there like in the Byzantine examples, and less likely to be called by a person (because the person eventually dies or is overthrown, but the state remains).
Eponymous system of naming empires was very alive and well in antiquity and even the middle ages. Seleucid Empire after Seleucus, Ptolemaic Kingdom after Ptolemy, various Greek polities too, and even Roman Empire after Romulus. For the Middle Ages you need to look no further than Lotharingia after Lothair or Osman Empire after Osman(I don't know why you say Ottoman in English), and some Slavic and German examples. If we're speaking for an independent clan.

But the point stands too for your arguement, why remain an Empire of Nicea after returning to Constantinople. I think we're both looking for a dynamic name changing system in this game and we're not going to find one.

Last edited:
History is full of geographic or tribal names of states too and to a greater measure. And since the BL Empire is based on the Byzantines, I'd say it's best for the Bannerlord designers to look at historical Byzantine faction names and parrot those.
Edit: I would admit that Rhagaea Onlyfans Empire sounds appropriate too.

Last edited:
Look at the quests, they're mmo repetitive crap
If we get prison breaks and political quests back I'll be reasonably happy with the quests on offer. It doesn't have to be Witcher.
The only characters that have "character" is Raeghea but only because everyone is horny by her character model lmao
I think Caladog, Raganvad and Derthert have noticeable personality: Caladog is a loveable jerk, Raganvad is an *******, and Derthert is a tired pessimist. But yeah the other faction leaders don't have much to note in their personality other than their stance on politics.
The companions same ****, repetitive stories to "random people" that don't affect your experience at all
The auto-generated companions and their one paragraph stories aren't my cup of tea either. I preferred Warband's companions who had more fleshed out, slightly more two-dimensional backstories full of personality, you cared about reading their story more because they weren't as clearly the product of some algorithm. There are a bunch of proper companions with interesting-sounding backstories sitting unused in Bannerlord's game files at the moment, it's very strange that they haven't been used.

Also, I know you developers are sick and tired of us, but please include these two (easy) features in the roadmap:

• Slow motion kills (because its awesome)
  • When you die during the battle, you can play as one of your companions until he dies or battle ends (I mean, who enjoys waiting for the battle to end because you died with an arrow to the eye in the first minute?)
Easy bonus points for these from the community.

Last edited:
Slow motion kills (because its awesome)
I don't think this is a good idea for this game. At least for the Native gameplay. It can cause problem with huge battles. (This feels like a more mod thing for me)
However, maybe a highlight replay of your actions during battles or tournament can be a good addition. (But I don't they will add to the game)
When you die during the battle, you can play as one of your companions until he dies or battle ends (I mean, who enjoys waiting for the battle to end because you died with an arrow to the eye in the first minute?)
I personally do not want it, but not against it. Could be good options in battles. On the other hand, it can make you feel less connected with your character in terms of preserving the health. Kamikaze attacks from your character (Sounds fun though :smile:

I don't think this is a good idea for this game. At least for the Native gameplay. It can cause problem with huge battles. (This feels like a more mod thing for me)
However, maybe a highlight replay of your actions during battles or tournament can be a good addition. (But I don't they will add to the game)

I personally do not want it, but not against it. Could be good options in battles. On the other hand, it can make you feel less connected with your character in terms of preserving the health. Kamikaze attacks from your character (Sounds fun though :smile:
  1. I am using a dismemberment mod right now with slow motion kill cams, no problems in large battles, looks very cinematic. Mod has been downloaded 250 000 times, a lot of people want this option.
  2. Also available via a mod (RTS camera), its super fun to play out the battle with your clan mates rather than wait it to end as a spectator. What's the point of your family if you cant play with them in the battle. Trust me.
Anyway, both options can be configurable.

1. I am using a dismemberment mod right now with slow motion kill cams, no problems in large battles, looks very cinematic. Mod has been downloaded 250 000 times, a lot of people want this option.
  2. Also available via a mod (RTS camera), its super fun to play out the battle with your clan mates rather than wait it to end as a spectator. What's the point of your family if you cant play with them in the battle. Trust me.
I understand, but I think these are more of a mod thing rather than a native one. In my opinion these are good thing as mods, but I don't need them for Native. These are, for me, too specific.

I understand, but I think these are more of a mod thing rather than a native one. In my opinion these are good thing as mods, but I don't need them for Native. These are, for me, too specific.
That's why we can't have nice things around here. Good ideas are getting s**t on by other fans and in the end developers just ignore that.

why bannerlord leveling system is not enjoyable? in bannerlord quest got no point and so hard maybe impossible to level up 2273 days in the game and I died 20 level character in warband quests has a good point u got XP in warband i got max 3-or 2 for example training 10 leadership 10 in bannerlord i got no max perks :sad: hop devs do samting abaut leveling system in my op its not good and not enjoyable like warband did :smile:

I do wish dismemberment was a native feature, medieval combat (well, all combat really) is brutal and that adds to it. The RTS camera is something I can live without.

I hope the closer we get to GA, that the Devs decide to take up some of the mods, they have done so in the past with minor QOL things like the settlement notifications. @Duh_TaleWorlds do you think you can relate any feelings from TW towards forking mods into the main codebase - is that something that is taken on only in special cases or will it be done again some more?

Thinks like diplomacy, dismemberment, messaging, etc. are all handled by mods and I think a lot of players would feel these should be forked more readily to be part of the Native experience. I do not enjoy modding my games to be honest as to not deal with dependency issues.

In my view where I see you guys running into major issues is with turning on death for AI vs AI simulations and what will happen to the population of the game in the first 18 years without new born babies repopulating the world (right now there is very few children at the start of the game to help during that first 18 yrs).
That assumes that the (hero) death rate for auto resolution will be high. I don't think that that will necessarily be the case. Personally, I find it more likely that the current mission side numbers will be reduced.

Sorry if i looked like i was trolling but i just told him what i thought ironman mode was going to be. If its misleading, i'll delete them.
My mistake then, sorry. At its core I understand Ironman mode as a single save file. Other effects are, of course, possible, but, if it was something like "any battle death is a game over", I would personally prefer those as separate options.

Hey, good morning, Duh

On this do you rebellions could be developed more deeply in something like civil war mechanic? I remember that on WB you could do that by helping Isolla of Suno on Swadian Throne. So, you guys consider a Rebellion feature development when asking about deep features such as civil war?
We currently don't have plans to utilize the rebellion feature for such a purpose. IMO, for now, we have to iron out the kinks and make sure it works reasonably well within the sandbox dynamics.

Duh, could you please tell us what this feature actually is. I still don't understand how this will work.
When a walled settlement is besieged and the defenders feel that their relative strength allows it, they may choose to sally out and break the siege. Currently, this leads to a field battle - this point references a dedicated sally out mission.

What's order of battle system? Is it how the AI will carry out a battle vs player?
It refers to what currently happens prior to entering the mission when you are in an army - the designation of various captains to formations. This will see improvement, though, I think it will need some additional work before more is shared.

I hope the closer we get to GA, that the Devs decide to take up some of the mods, they have done so in the past with minor QOL things like the settlement notifications. @Duh_TaleWorlds do you think you can relate any feelings from TW towards forking mods into the main codebase - is that something that is taken on only in special cases or will it be done again some more?
Mods are examined and taken into account much like player suggestion and feedback. Naturally, that doesn't mean everything is included, but, to give an example, I raised the popularity of the enhanced CC mod in the discussion on body weight and build sliders.

Back
Top Bottom