Statement regarding Plans for Singleplayer and Engine III

Users who are viewing this thread

Currently, that is not planned. Part of the challenge is that f.e. the armors in the game are a single piece whereas crafting requires individual pieces that can be mixed and matched.
I would like to suggest to at least give the player an option to involve oneself into armor "crafting", killing two birds with one stone by letting the player craft only already existing armor in its original state (provided one has the right skill and materials) - at the same time providing some alleviation for the issue of much missing high tier armors in towns, and an option for the player to get them without using gamey exploits (marrying for armor) or cheat mode.

Without a diplomacy system the game will be extensively boring once you attain a kingdom. 0 immersion. Warband mods are much better aside from graphics etc.

I would like to suggest to at least give the player an option to involve oneself into armor "crafting", killing two birds with one stone by letting the player craft only already existing armor in its original state (provided one has the right skill and materials) - at the same time providing some alleviation for the issue of much missing high tier armors in towns, and an option for the player to get them without using gamey exploits (marrying for armor) or cheat engine.
Yeah wait why not just keep it simple like every other games crafting? You know that feeling when someone says something so painfully obvious you haven't thought of, I got it.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Warriors of Calradia,

It is time to share another update on some of our current singleplayer and engine related priorities with you.

Just like before, stability and performance will continue to be a top priority for us. Beyond that, you will find some of our other goals listed below. Please note that this includes both broad and specific, as well as, shorter and longer term priorities.

Campaign
  • Kingdom & Politics
    • Improvements to Kingdom Decisions
    • Improvements to Rebellions & Kingdomless Clans
    • Abdication
I am hoping Kingdoms & Politics falls into the "broad" category, one thing I think many on the forums would like to see are expansion of Rebellions into a Civil War / Separatism mechanic, as well as adding non-aggression pacts at the very least for a light "alliance" feature.

Is there any plans to expand minor factions to being, major? It would be great if they could form their own kingdoms, right now the only reason to interact with them is to farm renown by killing them or hiring them as mercenaries. The lore elements are there and I think there can be a very cool creative direction if civil wars / rebellion expansion / AI kingdom creation is added. Something like the Hidden Hand, for an example, creating their own kingdom after helping a Rebellion.

It is a tad bit immersion-breaking that some of things in the world are left up to player influence. I know it may be a bit too early to speak on any of these points, but I do hope it is at least taken up for consideration. I am not at all downplaying the amount of dev cycles which will need to be poured into AI balancing and the logic behind AI kingdom formation / civil war to prevent it from spiraling into every kingdom entering one and essentially "doubling" the amount of main factions.

As an aside, are there any plans for siege pathfinding under the Scenes items? Another reoccuring point of frustration is mostly around siege ladders. It would be cool to also introduce other siege engines, such as mobile catapults or different ammo types for the ballista/scorpions, and maybe some good ole' "greek fire"

I have not been playing M&B very long, nor a member of the forums, to have developed much cynicism (not throwing shade at anyone here, I get it) - but I do appreciate the willingness to post generalized roadmaps and product themes even though you'll catch a virtual beating.

Cool post

Good to see new scenes for castles, villages and such are on the list. Is a unique scene for every location/settlement still planned down the road?

Personally I feel like Kingdom management and Lord interaction in general at the moment falls pretty short of what it should it be. Only really meaningful decisions to make War / Peace and who to grant a new fief to, out of 2-3 options.
Diplomacy is an exciting part of ruling a Kingdom and I don't see why it should remain so shallow.

Would it be reasonable for us to hope for expanded dialogue with NPC Lords and such to make the player's relation with them actually meaningful? (As opposed to them just being another party for wars) Things like talking/inviting them to feasts (Also feasts :grin:) Talking about politics (adding a layer of depth in the kingdom which could add to potential infighting if the rebellions are expanded on and actually made into civil wars too) Being able to duel them to settle a dispute, Etc

Tying into this I think NPCs recognising the player for who they are goes a long way. Like in Warband, civilians and guards in scenes recognising the player as the Lord of the fief, or a Lord of the realm if in a neighbouring fief. Your honour rating and reknown would reflect who you were by people treating you as such, don't really get that feel in Bannerlord.
- I know there's all the character traits and such but they don't really have any impact.

I may be out of the loop here but I don't get what sandbox (mode?) is supposed to do? Is there any difference with Sandbox and just playing normally but ignoring the main quest / starting family members?

:party:

If abdication is there, at least for the player, I still hope they are preparing succession wars under the hood. Power transition is very much flawless in Bannerlord. Only the ruling clan gets to have the power when the king dies, and there is no competition at all. They went all Japan with this mechanic.

Only the ruling clan gets to have the power when the king dies
i do agree that power transition is flawless but there is a vote when a monarch dies. idk the conditions to be on the list but any clan can get there.

they need to individualize relations and have the runner up leave the faction and become a claimant if he has a personality trait that suits the role.

Seriously why do you always have to be so vague about everything TW? It's so frustrating...
What's going on with EA and how far are we actually from calling it "completed"?

And what's going on with with all these cut features you're being silent about?
For instance the Gang mechanics which you showed 4 years ago and since then we haven't heard anything.

So new music for taverns, which is nice.
Any plans for more music in hideout ambushes?
There is also no music at all in character creation, just dead silence.

If this ends up being it, I don't think I'll be buying BL until it goes below the AUD$30 mark.
Yeah, seems that's pretty much it. Anything else we have to wait for mods and hope for the best.

I would be happy to forward any well composed feedback you may have in mind to the relevant people.

Alright fine, if you insist :smile:. I tried to keep most of this to strictly feedback instead of suggestions (since I'm not a game designer lol).

Foot troops lacking 'weight' and ambiance.
  • Troop movement feels really spastic with their micro adjustments. (troops constantly sprinting back and forth a few meters)
  • It's nearly silent when you have hundreds of troops charging forward. Just sounds like some clothes rustling. Would love a heavier sound akin to how Horses sound.
Vassals / clans lacking an Identity in the sandbox.
  • When playing I feel no attachment / distinction between any of the lords or clans as they all seem to act the same.
  • When playing I want more opportunities to learn about a lord's trait's an political preferences through interacting with them.
The player doesn't have many ways to interact with many of the systems in the sandbox.
  • As the player, I feel like I lack the tools to pull off interesting plans that I make up.
    • Ex: I have a settlement that borders an enemy town. I'm worried about my settlement being raided. I decide to sneak into town, and sow some disloyalty. The town eventually rebels, and is less of a threat to my settlement.
Siege battles feel very 'on rails'
  • As the player, I feel like I have very little agency during a siege battle. The troops automatically just attack and I have no way of saying, "Let's go through this cracked wall" or "We need to abandon the main door, to the ladders!".

Also.. Attack specific enemy formation command for battles.

The previous engine statement was released in october. At this rate we may get the finished version of this in the summer and the game still lacks basic immersion features. The dialogue is barren and the reasons to visit scenes and interact with the characters are non-existent. I look forward to the day when the game will actually include the features modders implemented in a single month within the EA's release, if it even comes. Right now it is sadly just a menu simulator with combat on the side

What about Party Screen Improvements?
Party screen is a mess when player has 200-500 troops... There is no way to sort troops, or subdivide etc. beyond the 1-8 grouping system..

PLEASE. Make it better. -> 1 click upgrades, recruit all prisoners etc.

Adding new scenes and improving existing ones.
  • Towns, Castles & Villages
  • Hideouts
  • Field Battles
Are hideouts in the "adding new scenes" column or the "improving existing ones" column (or both)?

New ambient sounds for settlement menus.
That'll be a nice touch.

i do agree that power transition is flawless but there is a vote when a monarch dies. idk the conditions to be on the list but any clan can get there.
There are a bunch of different factors that are weighed for a clan to get on the ruler election ballot, but the relative amount of wealth a clan has is by far the most important, and tends to drown out all the other factors unless the top clans are close in wealth. If the monarch's clan gets on the ballot based on that set of factors, then they have some other bonuses that make it likely that they'll win. If not, then the crown more or less goes to the wealthiest clan.

Siege AI & Formation Improvements
I am not sure if there were a similar discussions but.. Are you guys planning on introducing "pike wall" or similar formation ? It is such a pitty to watch heavy infantry with their pikes on the back, holding swords and shields against heavy cav charging...

Back
Top Bottom