Statement Regarding Plans For MP

Users who are viewing this thread

THIS!
Combat is the tracks this train is going on, we should set it perfectly straight before we even think about adding a new fancy wagon with a bar-restaurant.
Damn that was beautiful, appreciate the communication (finally) but I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that fundamentals of the game need improvement and it needs to take priority over stuff such as "we are also planning social improvements to address in-game trolling and similar problems." which could've been solved with custom servers and game administrators

I really don't want to install that battleye malware, will it be forced on captain mode? that's the only mode i play.

Hi MP devs, thanks very much for taking the time to outline what you guys are working, it is very much appreciated. I want to echo the same sentiment from other users in this thread talking about combat inconsistencies and combat mechanics being worse off than that of warband. I hope that this is something that will be prioritised instead of balancing particular weapons or classes over one another.

If I answer for the parts I am involved:
- Stability: Apart from game server related crashes, recently we had major issues with one of our providers. We are currently improving our system to handle these kinds of issues better. Also we are moving relevant services to another service provider. This will happen one part at a time and some has already been moved. Moving whole system will probably take around 1 month maybe 6 weeks. We are moving them slowly so each part is tested and monitored one at a time.
- Anti-cheat: With the next patch, anti-cheat implementation will be completed. Custom servers will also have anti-cheat and detected player will be kicked from game instead of what we did until now, logging their actions. Of course there can be improvements and bug fixes depending on the need.
- Player Reporting System: 1-2 weeks, depending on our patch schedule and tests. Detailed logging will be introduced at the same time.
- Analytics: This is used since the beta and gets updates as our designers need.
- Recently Played Players and Friends: 1-3 weeks, depending on our patch schedule and tests.
- Clans: This is gonna be implemented part by part. I am personally expecting first update regarding clans to be released this month but again depends on patch schedule and tests. Also we may want to add more features to it before releasing.

Thanks for the nice comment here. Appreciate it. Since you mentioned server providers, are there any news regarding OCE server providers for matchmaking? I know that this will be very low on your priority list but at the moment dedicated OCE players cannot play the newly developed modes skirmish or captain mode without tolerating 200+ ping on East Asian servers. Is there any progress or update on this issue? Thanks again.

Servers? Couldnt care less about balance atm just give us some damn servers for all modes, plenty of threads asking for them.

Are custom moddable dedicated servers in the works?
I am pretty confident about dedicated servers coming out not sooner than the end of EA.

To be honest, I am glad you guys finally decided to come out and give us a basic list of things you are currently working on, though these are not the issues or stuff that we think is crucial, I still think this is a step in the right direction. I don't really have an interest in the game until the combat gets reworked *fingers crossed*, but Ranked Matchmaking sounds nice - I am not sure how well it's going to work though since there aren't that many people playing Skirmish anymore.

Do you think it would be possible to implement a clan feature allowing clans or groups to matchmake together and have a scrim? It would probably take up some servers but would help tremendously since we don't have custom servers right now. I think it could also be a nice feature for your clan system.

All in all, great that you decided to tell us a part of your "vision." Bad we do not see any combat issues addressed, though it's not strictly a multiplayer area and would probably have to be discussed by the design teams of both - SP and MP.

Clan system I've been talking about for awhile.. good to see it being added.

Echoing the above but combat needs the most help and should be highest on the priority list.

Are custom moddable dedicated servers in the works?

If by that you mean game servers on player owned servers, they would benefit most of the updates on the server side as they will share a lot of the code. And they should be quite moddable but will be limited by engine side to some degree. Unfortunately I am not familiar enough to tell to what degree it will be limited.

Thanks for the nice comment here. Appreciate it. Since you mentioned server providers, are there any news regarding OCE server providers for matchmaking? I know that this will be very low on your priority list but at the moment dedicated OCE players cannot play the newly developed modes skirmish or captain mode without tolerating 200+ ping on East Asian servers. Is there any progress or update on this issue? Thanks again.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know it until it is decided. The issue with servers on OCE is that our main provider doesn't provide servers close enough so we had to rent servers from another provider. Our server infrastructure allows increasing number of servers by demand so we can always have a server ready for players but we cannot currently do that on OCE servers since the same tools are not available. If we wanted to allow matchmaking on those servers, it would get quite slow on peak times. I don't know what is the plan regarding that, I am sorry.

Edit: Seeing some comments I wanted to clarify something. There are different teams working on different parts of the game, it is not a one big MP team. So one team, like mine, working on social stuff and lobby server related stuff doesn't mean that these features have higher priority.

Finally someone giving us a better insight in the current plans. This sounds really promising! exactly the features I secretly wished for, but didn't dare to ask for :grin: My faith in TW is back again!

Seeing some comments I wanted to clarify something. There are different teams working on different parts of the game, it is not a one big MP team. So one team, like mine, working on social stuff and lobby server related stuff doesn't mean that these features have higher priority.
Oh, dont you worry, relax, i believe most of us know who those we are waiting for are, to say "hi" on that matter (combat) :fruity:

tenor.gif

If by that you mean game servers on player owned servers, they would benefit most of the updates on the server side as they will share a lot of the code. And they should be quite moddable but will be limited by engine side to some degree. Unfortunately I am not familiar enough to tell to what degree it will be limited.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know it until it is decided. The issue with servers on OCE is that our main provider doesn't provide servers close enough so we had to rent servers from another provider. Our server infrastructure allows increasing number of servers by demand so we can always have a server ready for players but we cannot currently do that on OCE servers since the same tools are not available. If we wanted to allow matchmaking on those servers, it would get quite slow on peak times. I don't know what is the plan regarding that, I am sorry.

Edit: Seeing some comments I wanted to clarify something. There are different teams working on different parts of the game, it is not a one big MP team. So one team, like mine, working on social stuff and lobby server related stuff doesn't mean that these features have higher priority.
What dev or group of devs is in charge of the combat mechanics, I don’t think it needs to be said that a lot of people would love to hear from them on future plans or if they are fine with it as is and consider it final (I would hope not to be honest) people can be civil on occasion. People are scare right now that you aren’t addressing combat questions and that that means you are not working on it.

Are there plans to add custom player banners and player alias? these are hugely important for the sociability of multiplayer in regards to clans and recognizing your friends and rivals.

Are there plans to support people setting up custom lobbies? For example just inviting 10 friends into a lobby and being able to choose gamemode to play just between us.

As far as I know, the answer is no. But it is not that it has been discussed and decided against. We have some big changes to lobby planned and that we are working on. Until those get close to being completed, new ones wouldn't be planned. That being said, we tried to allow that kind of stuff on the serverside so if time comes and we are asked to do it, it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your response illuminating the current situation with servers in OCE. I would be lying to say that I wasn't disappointed, but I guess it is the way things are currently. Is there any possibility that one of our siege servers could be changed to captain or skirmish mode to appear on the custom server list? I know that we have to be patient but it is just frustrating that we are only confined to Siege or TDM for the moment. Thanks for all the hard work you guys are putting in and thanks again for responding. Have a great day.

Are there plans to add custom player banners and player alias? these are hugely important for the sociability of multiplayer in regards to clans and recognizing your friends and rivals.

I would humbly suggest waiting for clan features. There can be features related to that.

Back
Top Bottom