Statement Regarding Plans For MP Vol.4

Users who are viewing this thread

I think it's counter productive to have to hold MP patches back until SP is ready, and vice versa, especially without beta servers to test stuff. Then again, I understand that SP players get angry at an MP-focused patch, and MP players at the single player ones. Funnily enough, it starts to happen between different game modes aswell. We're really our own worst enemies sometimes lol.

hqdefault.jpg

See you when it makes sense to play MP!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

I think it's counter productive to have to hold MP patches back until SP is ready, and vice versa, especially without beta servers to test stuff. Then again, I understand that SP players get angry at an MP-focused patch, and MP players at the single player ones. Funnily enough, it starts to happen between different game modes aswell. We're really our own worst enemies sometimes lol.
If i don't remember wrong, they said that some of the multiplayer code are linked to the single player one, so even if they made an "only" multiplayer patch it will also affect the singleplayer part, with the chance to create bugs there.
However i would also like if they put up the server for the beta branch to try the changes we see on the patchnotes and give our impressions before it went live.

I think you're right, especially in terms of the core combat, though surely they can pump out some balance changes with weapons and just completely exclude them from SP if they wanted. I'm not entirely sure though as single player doesn't have pike bracing afaik, and multiplayer doesn't have hooked spears. A couple cheeky changes here and there without altering the entire experience would be nice too.

If i don't remember wrong, they said that some of the multiplayer code are linked to the single player one, so even if they made an "only" multiplayer patch it will also affect the singleplayer part, with the chance to create bugs there.
However i would also like if they put up the server for the beta branch to try the changes we see on the patchnotes and give our impressions before it went live.
Thats probably true but because we have no way of testing it, the feedback on what is good and what isnt takes even longer. We probably wont be seing any substansial update to multiplayer this year, because of how slow this process is. Skirmish already barerly has people playing at peak hours, usually its the same 20 or so people, or full stacks.
I dont know if skillbased matchmaking is enabled, but if it is, its failed. Almost every match I've played lately was 3-0 or 0-3. Sometimes the start looks fairly balanced but then people who think they wont win just leave the game and it gets filled with randoms.

Multiplayer is in serious trouble, more effort has to be put in or it'll die out completely by the end of the year.

Multiplayer is in serious trouble, more effort has to be put in or it'll die out completely by the end of the year.

Yes I think so too.
I think we need more events like the gamescom-event. The planning and rewards weren't that great but at least there was a little more buzz in MP.
Right now all I can think of that would help would be SP rewards you can unlock in MP.

We should really be grateful for @The_Cardboard_Box and the Call to Arms team for having fun events for the more casual players right now.

Last edited:
The changes are not on live yet, they are still on beta where there is no multiplayer. (wait for the next patch, when beta becomes the live build)
Ah, my bad.
Well im looking forward to it, hope i won't have to come back here :smile:

Right now all I can think of that would help would be SP rewards you can unlock in MP.
And, maybe, also multiplayer awards that can be won in multiplayer. Like please let us grind for non gameplay affecting gear.
More customisation pleaseeeeee. Like - 2 armor -1 weight, 2 more cut 1 less speed... u know. Like that whole armory page is there just for basic info, not even the whole deal.
Now this recommendations i give knowing that i have 0 idea where you plan to take skirmish, and multiplayer in general.
There are so many different ways the official multiplayer can evolve, but what to expect?

Is there any way we can get some idea what to actually expect. Like will there be mechanics simmilar to cRPG and Mercs. or is multiplayer soely going to focus on "competative" gameplay.
Because, you see, if i can have my custom gear and have great many reasons to grind for exp and gold( just like in crpg and mercs) then i'd rather have cw-s there.

Also battle mode?!

I reckon it's time for the dev's to host some more events with the community, potentially on the beta servers as a test bed. It's dawned on me that we're likely looking at minimum of another month of two before the next proper MP update will hit the main branch, and it'd be good to squash some of the big bugs or issues before it gets to the general public's hands. Even a PTE under a NDA could work, too, as there's a lot of people really passionate to see the game improve and show the developers the exploits and tricks they've discovered.

If that's completely off the cards, I'd love to see a Talesworld only competition where the developers face off against each other in all of the modes, so we can truly see their vision in play, and maybe learn some playstyles that we've never even considered -- and possibly show them some playstyles that they may not have. Just an idea, but I think these are the sort of things we as a community are really wishing for in order to feel like we're part of the development process.

The developers actually considered at multiple points to join the BEAST-Tournaments hosted by the community. Until now they didn't, they maybe do it for the next time?
We'd love to have you in that tournament TaleWorlds!

The problem, i'd say, isn't that the code needs seperation. All gameplay mechanics could be microtweaked. For example singleplayer could have a vougle that can crush trough - but mp version would have a voulge with same stats but with a crushtrough stat reduced ( is that how it even works ?)

And the bigger,fundamental, problem right now with MP is that skirmish and captain mode are using exacly the same kind of units, whose stats are shared.
That is broken.
Example:
In captain you take a cheaper unit, that is objectivly worse, but you get MORE units.
In skirmish you take that same unit and thats it. You get only that cheaper unit for same gold proportions as in captain.
This makes some units great for skirmish but garbage in captain and vice versa. ( I remember in captain i'd take a rabble unit, and if i get close enough to ANY inf. unit they're done for. But in MP rabble is one of the worse units by far.).
So if you buff an unit that is weak in captain but strong in skirmish- now it's even stronger in skirmish.
So then you try to please skirmish players and you're back to ground zero.

SEPEARE IT PLEASE!!!

I believe it's the intention at this point, and it seems like they're having to make some massive fundamental changes for the next patch which may be why it's taking so long. It really should have been done pre-EA release but at the end of the day, here we are.

I hope this EA period has at least been a learning experience for TW and they take some valuable notes about what to improve on in the future.

I believe it's the intention at this point, and it seems like they're having to make some massive fundamental changes for the next patch which may be why it's taking so long. It really should have been done pre-EA release but at the end of the day, here we are.

I hope this EA period has at least been a learning experience for TW and they take some valuable notes about what to improve on in the future.
I dont think so, they have their hands full with the announced features, the multiplayer team is small.

I mean stuff like weapon-specific behaviour and getting the AI to properly use weapons and what-not. They're having to do a lot of works to the foundation of the game by the looks of it, which I could imagine would be a lot of work at this point in development. This will likely change a lot about how the game feels and plays.

As well as that though, I do remember a bunch of other stuff they've been working on for quite a while now such as customization, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's held off until full release.

Back
Top Bottom