Statement Regarding Plans For MP Vol.4

Users who are viewing this thread

That patch was disappointing for MP, once again. At this point they're just trying to fix the mistakes made in the last patch, leaving them little to no time to actually add content or refine the features that are already semi-balanced. Two maps for captain and some balance just won't cut it at this point imo.

That patch was disappointing for MP, once again. At this point they're just trying to fix the mistakes made in the last patch, leaving them little to no time to actually add content or refine the features that are already semi-balanced. Two maps for captain and some balance just won't cut it at this point imo.

Have the new maps arrive? There was also alot of other things that was going to re-balance captain mode. Cant see anyhing related to captain in the patchnotes.

Just wanted to drop in and say melee with 1h and 1h/shield combat is in a pretty good spot. Been playing some 20hish past 3 weeks and I feel it. Block delay time is a good spot too. Pretty fun. Only thing is sometimes when I press the button to shove someone with my shield, sometimes it doesn't do it, but It makes me wait like 2 or another second. Would be informative for something to tell me when I can do it, and when its on cooldown.

Good job TW, keep up the good work!

They added like 120+ new perks to singleplayer and of course **** tons of other things. I swear there are only like 3 people working on multiplayer, that can be the only reason its taking so long

I tried enjoying some Siege last night, but the gameplay was still clunky and sluggish, and the class system was annoying.

The floatiness of the movement makes you feel like you're a giant balloon bobbing around.

Thank for your feedback Jon. I have heard those terms being used, "clunky and sluggish". I do not share the same feeling. I feel the controls "crisp". I am not trolling, but trying to share with you how it feels for me current combat. I do agree with you that the movement of the character feels a bit "floaty". Maybe if the mass of someone walking would be closer to the mass of going in a horse, it would feel less floaty, but they did that already with 1.5.0 I do think it needs more momentum, like when you straf left or right, it should be slower, or when the character turns, specially heavy inf.

1.5.0 was a step in the right direction, but I fear those terms you used now are used to want "faster" combat gameplay, no delay whatsoever on blocking or feinting, etc, i.e. going back to warband spamfest and unrealistic jerking combat meta.

I tried enjoying some Siege last night, but the gameplay was still clunky and sluggish, and the class system was annoying.

The floatiness of the movement makes you feel like you're a giant balloon bobbing around.
Personally I like the combat itself, minus a couple issues, but the movement is absolutely ridiculous and seems to be the contributing factor to why 2handers can spam so many attacks before you get the initiative (which I've seen described on the forums as clunky).

Thank for your feedback Jon. I have heard those terms being used, "clunky and sluggish". I do not share the same feeling. I feel the controls "crisp". I am not trolling, but trying to share with you how it feels for me current combat.

Why do you come onto every thread and insist that BL's combat is fine? Seems a bit exhausting.

Thank for your feedback Jon. I have heard those terms being used, "clunky and sluggish". I do not share the same feeling. I feel the controls "crisp". I am not trolling, but trying to share with you how it feels for me current combat. I do agree with you that the movement of the character feels a bit "floaty". Maybe if the mass of someone walking would be closer to the mass of going in a horse, it would feel less floaty, but they did that already with 1.5.0 I do think it needs more momentum, like when you straf left or right, it should be slower, or when the character turns, specially heavy inf.

1.5.0 was a step in the right direction, but I fear those terms you used now are used to want "faster" combat gameplay, no delay whatsoever on blocking or feinting, etc, i.e. going back to warband spamfest and unrealistic jerking combat meta.
The sluggishness I describe is about the movement, especially jumping. Given how terrible and unrealistic it looks, I'm assuming it's a limitation of the physics engine they might have developed (if they're not reusing Havok Physics), but I'm not sure. I hope they can improve it, or reintegrate whatever they used for Warband, because it's really bad.

In terms of combat animations and stuff, Bannerlord MP has already been full of shock infantry spinning around and doing unrealistic/unconvincing manoeuvres. It was dubbed "ballerina shock infantry" by players during the beta even. If your gripes are with realism, I'd suggest M&B multiplayer will never actually be realistic-looking, so long as it has free-form combat with directional attacking. People will always find weird ways to play effectively. Even new players or "roleplayers" like Metafa find themselves jumping around like a frog unrealistically.

You can't tell me this looks realistic:

I'm all for adding more animations to make things look more presentable, just so long as it's visually reliable and it doesn't interfere badly with the mechanics of the game.

This thread covers what I think about the responsiveness of combat:

They reduced block delay in the 1.5 patch, but if there's still responsiveness issues, especially in attack animations, then that's a deal-breaker really. It's not a commendable combat system. Either it's a mad experiment gone wrong (like a Frankenstein's monster of a game) or it's a strange attempt to dumb it down (or possibly both).

If you're having trouble against left spam in Warband, watch this video on how to counter it:

Or try using outrange like this:

Or try using kicks. Or try chambering. Or work with a teammate to bring them down.

Also, if someone keeps feint-spamming, punish them by attacking quickly when they start doing it, rather than blocking.

Or, if you can't be bothered with any of that, just play against some bad players in Siege. In Bannerlord too, there's bad players in Siege and TDM. And if MM gets better with a bigger playerbase, then that can match you with players of a similar level.

The sluggishness I describe is about the movement, especially jumping. Given how terrible and unrealistic it looks, I'm assuming it's a limitation of the physics engine they might have developed (if they're not reusing Havok Physics), but I'm not sure. I hope they can improve it, or reintegrate whatever they used for Warband, because it's really bad.

In terms of combat animations and stuff, Bannerlord MP has already been full of shock infantry spinning around and doing unrealistic/unconvincing manoeuvres. It was dubbed "ballerina shock infantry" by players during the beta even. If your gripes are with realism, I'd suggest M&B multiplayer will never actually be realistic-looking, so long as it has free-form combat with directional attacking. People will always find weird ways to play effectively. Even new players or "roleplayers" like Metafa find themselves jumping around like a frog unrealistically.

I'm all for adding more animations to make things look more presentable, just so long as it's visually reliable and it doesn't interfere badly with the mechanics of the game.

They reduced block delay in the 1.5 patch, but if there's still responsiveness issues, especially in attack animations, then that's a deal-breaker really. It's not a commendable combat system. Either it's a mad experiment gone wrong (like a Frankenstein's monster of a game) or it's a strange attempt to dumb it down (or possibly both).

If you're having trouble against left spam in Warband, watch this video on how to counter it:

Or try using kicks. Or try chambering. Or work with a teammate to bring them down.

Also, if someone keeps feint-spamming, punish them by attacking quickly when they start doing it, rather than blocking.

Or, if you can't be bothered with any of that, just play against some bad players in Siege. In Bannerlord too, there's bad players in Siege and TDM. And if MM gets better with a bigger playerbase, then that can match you with players of a similar level.

Call me crazy but even that Bannerlord clip looks better than Warband ever did. Looks alot less flicky and spammy. Sure it's still some but as you already stated it will never go away totally with the combat system Taleworlds are using.

If they could just remove useless functions like Crushtrough and such we are in a pretty good place (combat). Needs more balance but it looks quite good actually.

I mean look at that second video you sent and look at 00:20, a total flickfest, the weapon is way to fast from nothing to attack position so it looks kinda stupid.

@jon01
Just wanted to say the block delay is not a problem anymore, you can pretty much block everything, there is of course feints which are hard to block. I am fine with movement, but if it can be sharper and more precise I am all up for it.

@Mushbeast
The main reason shock is dancing around jumping and spinning comes mostly down to their higher movement speed, it's higher then all other classes movement speed.

Why do you come onto every thread and insist that BL's combat is fine? Seems a bit exhausting.

Because that is my opinion. I understand that it is a bit exhausting, and will decrease a bit in the future. Thanks for letting me know Canton, but it is equally exhausting hearing people say "Combat is ****", "Warband combat gameplay is perfect", "TW killed bannerlord", etc etc. As long as people keep trashing TW for what I believe is good work, I will keep up opinionating on how good they did.

Now, keep in mind that there are some issues that TW have failed to do to make MP numbers and environment as it should be, and I also have pointed that out and agree with others, but I believe it will come in time. Others are not that patient.

Thank you for those excellent tips, suggestions and videos. I agree with you the end result. I agree also with Moton. Already the combat presented in BL looks MUCH better than Warband combat gameplay. I would have to spend some more time reading the link you provided me to opinionate on it. I saw it, and I think that delay should stay on the game. It contributes to make attack swings slower than in BL. I rather combat bit slower than faster.

As the BL video you presented demonstrated, the movement of the players definitely looks "floaty". They strafe, move left or right, etc without any real life momentum i.e. you wont just go left 5 feet and then go right 5 feet and repeat, but go left 5 feet, stop, rotate your body, and then go right 5 feet, or if you strafe, it is much slower because of the complex footwork while looking at the same direction while staffing.

@jon01
Just wanted to say the block delay is not a problem anymore, you can pretty much block everything, there is of course feints which are hard to block. I am fine with movement, but if it can be sharper and more precise I am all up for it.
There is still a minor block delay when you try to block in the middle of an attack animation. Get rid of that and it's good.

Back
Top Bottom