Statement Regarding Plans For MP Vol.3

Users who are viewing this thread

I didn't like how players could block your attacks (manually) while kicking. There were ways to avoid the kicks, but it still felt cheesy the degree to which players (especially archers) got away with spamming kicks and blocking at the same time. Not to mention it looked unrealistic, if that's a problem for anyone. Reducing (to some extent) the window to block while kicking would have made kicks less abusable, yet they still could have been used to punish the most straightforward of footwork.

In Bannerlord, it looks like the same issue exists, but now you can also kick offensively with longer reach, so almost everyone is kicking, and the ability to jump over kicks has been taken away.

I didn't like how players could block your attacks (manually) while kicking. There were ways to avoid the kicks, but it still felt cheesy the degree to which players (especially archers) got away with spamming kicks and blocking at the same time. Not to mention it looked unrealistic, if that's a problem for anyone. Reducing (to some extent) the window to block while kicking would have made kicks less abusable, yet they still could have been used to punish the most straightforward of footwork.

In Bannerlord, it looks like the same issue exists, but now you can also kick offensively with longer reach, so almost everyone is kicking, and the ability to jump over kicks has been taken away.
I disagree. Kicking was a good way to punish people for being too aggressive.

Is there actually any evidence of disparity going on with respect to kicks being OP? I hardly get hit by them and hardly hit them myself.

Is there actually any evidence of disparity going on with respect to kicks being OP? I hardly get hit by them and hardly hit them myself.

Sadly, we don't have TW's stats on how often kicking leads to a successful hit for conclusive evidence, but clan wars are becoming increasingly dominanted by aggressive kicking.

The reduced cooldown for successfully landing a kick is a good example. In a 2v1 the first successful kick landed leads to a stun-lock combination which is unavoidable once the first kick lands.

686be798dd3cc04a1aaeb3db703b2380.jpg

I disagree. Kicking was a good way to punish people for being too aggressive.
Not being able to block while kicking (or reducing it) wouldn't stop you from being able to kick players aggressively coming towards you. All of those kicks Menethil did in the videos above would still be possible; I don't think he blocked an attack while in the middle of a kick. So, you'd still be able to kick someone if they're coming close to you. It's just you wouldn't be able to stand on one leg while kicking and blocking attacks at the same time like a juggler.

Look at how annoying it is to fight someone who's kicking and blocking all the time:

The two times I got kicked, I came in too close and left myself vulnerable to it (although he still had to block while he was kicking for it to land). Other times I was keeping my distance while attacking, just because of how much he was kicking, yet it was really frustrating how he was able to block at the same time, as if it didn't matter he was kicking. And at least there it was an isolated 1v1 fight on a public server. If it was in a match, there's a lot of pressure to kill an archer quickly before enemy cavalry comes to help, so it can be all the more annoying. If you try and outrange them, they just leap away and fire off another shot. If you circle around them, they can still stun you by kicking towards the side in anticipation, and still block because they'd be faced in the right direction. Sometimes it's possible to go round to their back while they're kicking and land a hit, but it's not always reliable, since they often magically snap around and block the attack somehow. You can jump over their kick, but that's a gamble, they can still block (without a shield, unless their ping is high), and if they haven't kicked they'll probably leap in the other direction and fire off another shot, constantly kiting. Archers are meant to have lower proficiency in melee as a trade-off for not being infantry, yet the ability to spam kicks while blocking can make it moot. I'm pretty sure duelists have complained about "Turkish kicks" in duel tournaments too. It's not fun to fight against.

I tested it in Bannerlord's Custom Battle, and it seems like it's just as easy to block manually while at any point of kicking.

Remove the general block delay and apply it to kicks instead.

Not being able to block while kicking (or reducing it) wouldn't stop you from being able to kick players aggressively coming towards you. All of those kicks Menethil did in the videos above would still be possible; I don't think he blocked an attack while in the middle of a kick. So, you'd still be able to kick someone if they're coming close to you. It's just you wouldn't be able to stand on one leg while kicking and blocking attacks at the same time like a juggler.

Look at how annoying it is to fight someone who's kicking and blocking all the time:

The two times I got kicked, I came in too close and left myself vulnerable to it (although he still had to block while he was kicking for it to land). Other times I was keeping my distance while attacking, just because of how much he was kicking, yet it was really frustrating how he was able to block at the same time, as if it didn't matter he was kicking. And at least there it was an isolated 1v1 fight on a public server. If it was in a match, there's a lot of pressure to kill an archer quickly before enemy cavalry comes to help, so it can be all the more annoying. If you try and outrange them, they just leap away and fire off another shot. If you circle around them, they can still stun you by kicking towards the side in anticipation, and still block because they'd be faced in the right direction. Sometimes it's possible to go round to their back while they're kicking and land a hit, but it's not always reliable, since they often magically snap around and block the attack somehow. You can jump over their kick, but that's a gamble, they can still block (without a shield, unless their ping is high), and if they haven't kicked they'll probably leap in the other direction and fire off another shot, constantly kiting. Archers are meant to have lower proficiency in melee as a trade-off for not being infantry, yet the ability to spam kicks while blocking can make it moot. I'm pretty sure duelists have complained about "Turkish kicks" in duel tournaments too. It's not fun to fight against.

I tested it in Bannerlord's Custom Battle, and it seems like it's just as easy to block manually while at any point of kicking.

Remove the general block delay and apply it to kicks instead.

Omg I was watching the video and was thinking: "Why does the guy kicking has my face" and then I noticed it was me.

Why would you corpsekick me!!!

PS: For my defense, kicking while blocking is the only way to compete when you have 100 ping.

Omg I was watching the video and was thinking: "Why does the guy kicking has my face" and then I noticed it was me.

Why would you corpsekick me!!!

PS: For my defense, kicking while blocking is the only way to compete when you have 100 ping.
I usually corpse kick people if they tried to kick me (and failed). It feels like waving back. But I was also annoyed by your playstyle.

The patch is good to go.
We are just waiting for the issues in the current beta to get resolved so it can go to live and we can send the new patch to beta.
So a Friday release or "soon."

Edit: Wasn't this the reason that beta and alpha servers were announced, so patches didn't get bottlenecked? What ever happened to that?

So a Friday release or "soon."

Edit: Wasn't this the reason that beta and alpha servers were announced, so patches didn't get bottlenecked? What ever happened to that?

The patch on current Beta branch will go to Live. It is the one with issues. Next Beta isn't delaying the release.

Back
Top Bottom