State of the Game?

Users who are viewing this thread

December

Recruit
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could give me their quick opinions about the current state of Bannerlord? I’ve not bought it yet, but read a lot about it in the beginning months of it’s ea release to see how it was progressing.

The major issues I remember reading about were poor combat ai, steamrolling issues, and constant wars. How have these been addressed if at all? What major issues are people concerned with right now? Have mods been able to fix any of this?

images

- AI is decent overall but not good in tournaments and sieges.
- Snowballing is much better than before but still present. Devs are working on it and probably will totally fixed it soon (weeks or maybe some few months).
- Constant wars are still present.

The game is pretty enjoyable in its current state but there are still a lot of issues. The biggest current issue IMO is that late game is boring.

The game is pretty enjoyable in its current state but there are still a lot of issues. The biggest current issue IMO is that late game is boring.
Entertainment should never be boring, otherwise it sucks entirely, missing it's point of even existing.
TDLR: The game is in a really bad shape, yet. Soon™ remains the rule of thumb for Bannerlord, and that could take anywhere from a few months to 5 years with them, we never really know. (I've just downloaded the latest beta a few days ago, and I'm already bored without even managing to reach mid game)

- AI is decent overall but not good in tournaments and sieges.
This, though some would argue how good they are in field battles. Sieges are still very bad (AI cannot climb ladders and siege towers to save their lives). Field battles are really enjoyable as far as I'm concerned.

- Snowballing is much better than before but still present. Devs are working on it and probably will totally fixed it soon (weeks or maybe some few months).
This. Snowballing happens, just not nearly as fast.

- Constant wars are still present.
This. Though in the late game now there are extended periods of peace.
The game is pretty enjoyable in its current state
Though obviously purely subjective I would agree with this. It really depends on how much you like this kind of game and how much imagination you have because... The game feels more empty than many fans (myself included) would personally like.

but there are still a lot of issues.
giphy.gif

Early Access :smile:

Good base, but many details needs to be polish. Also some "must have" features are not implemented yet.

I will say that it is enjoyable but sometimes frustating.

I find the game enjoyable. But there are times I do need to step away from it because there are so many partially implemented or unimplemented mechanics that need to be addressed. It can make the game frustrating.

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could give me their quick opinions about the current state of Bannerlord? I’ve not bought it yet, but read a lot about it in the beginning months of it’s ea release to see how it was progressing.

The major issues I remember reading about were poor combat ai, steamrolling issues, and constant wars. How have these been addressed if at all? What major issues are people concerned with right now? Have mods been able to fix any of this?
The game is alot better than when EA launched... its not complete yet though, so if that bothers you I would just wait until full launch. Games have some issues still and some features are not yet fully implemented, but if you are only comparing to how it was at release, its a far better more complete game than back then, but still a ways to go.

no, I've said it must be "not boring"

Yeah you're right but I cant interely agree on that either. I mean I play alot of Counter Strike and some games you lose big time like 16-10 and that's boring as hell but I still consider the game fun.

But I get your point that things like end game is really important and without it the game is kind of ruined.

Yeah you're right but I cant interely agree on that either. I mean I play alot of Counter Strike and some games you lose big time like 16-10 and that's boring as hell but I still consider the game fun.

But I get your point that things like end game is really important and without it the game is kind of ruined.
no, the engagement is enjoyable, I've been a pro CS player for less than a year, got some good semi-pro footing for many years, now THAT can be really boring (3h training daily), playing it just to kill time is never boring because the thrill of trying is the core of the experience itself, losing is simply frustrating. Do not mix boredom with frustration. Also, MP games are not really a good comparison subject with SP games because the experience is basically upon the interaction with other people, not as much with the Game Design itself.

Now, BL is fine if we look at it as a project improving upon WB, but as a game, judged solely, it's ultimately boring due to multiple adding factors, from character progression, to incomplete perks narrowing playstyle, balance issues, oddities in AI behavior, lack of content, and ultimately, empty end-game stage. WB had issues with late-game too, but most of us would use mods to address that, BL shouldn't because TW had years to learn from their mistake, and learn possible solutions from what modders came up with.

So far BL is a skeleton of the game it's supposed to be, and that makes it really boring, which begs the thing I've been criticizing their patches since day one:
This stage of the game is meant for testing, and they are insistently creating balancing changes that make everything much slower and exacerbate the grinding necessary to reach certain stages of the game, making it pointlessly boring. Considering most of said changes will have to go or be remade once the game reaches it's late beta stages, I think that is the most questionable decision TW has made so far concerning BL, and it pisses me off.

BL can be extremely enjoyable if you slap-in a good chunk of mods to it, to me the quintessential ones to make it more pleasurable are those that increase XP rate, kill softcaps, sometimes kill hardcaps and keeps soft caps, etc. If the progression is made smoother the game becomes a more pleasant journey, as it is it sucks, and if you want to simply create a character to test builds or (before the perks website) test perks (if they were working) it was/is a bore of a chore that made me pluck-out my eyes. The bread and butter of BL due to the missing chunks ends up being mid-late game, anything before or after that sucks, and even than, the best part of it still feels like a bore from time to time.

As I've said, the game is in a bad shape, has been since it was released, until the fix the core mechanics and finish implementing core features, it'll remain like that, luckly there are the modding tools now, which can basically mean that someone will "fix" it, but it also means that you'll either need to stick to specific patches and avoid updates like the plague, meaning missing out on other core mechanics that were not added when the mod was last updated.

Hopefully you get my point, you do not have to agree with me, but the guy asked for opinions, and I've simply pointed out that entertainment, when boring, is 100% a failure. Entertainment, to be successful, cannot be boring. I have a plethora of examples of games I've played that fail hard into certain aspects, but still to not hit the boring spot, same with films, music. On the other hand, everything that is boring is generally just binned and nobody even remembers those.

Last edited:
Well, when I said that late game is boring, I was actually referring that late game turns the game in something pretty repetitive (battles, battles and more battles) and it makes me feel bored and then I usually starts a different campaign.

I have already invested an insane amount of hours to this game, so I find it overall enjoyable but with a huge margin for improvements.

no, the engagement is enjoyable, I've been a pro CS player for less than a year, got some good semi-pro footing for many years, now THAT can be really boring (3h training daily), playing it just to kill time is never boring because the thrill of trying is the core of the experience itself, losing is simply frustrating. Do not mix boredom with frustration. Also, MP games are not really a good comparison subject with SP games because the experience is basically upon the interaction with other people, not as much with the Game Design itself.

Now, BL is fine if we look at it as a project improving upon WB, but as a game, judged solely, it's ultimately boring due to multiple adding factors, from character progression, to incomplete perks narrowing playstyle, balance issues, oddities in AI behavior, lack of content, and ultimately, empty end-game stage. WB had issues with late-game too, but most of us would use mods to address that, BL shouldn't because TW had years to learn from their mistake, and learn possible solutions from what modders came up with.

So far BL is a skeleton of the game it's supposed to be, and that makes it really boring, which begs the thing I've been criticizing their patches since day one:
This stage of the game is meant for testing, and they are insistently creating balancing changes that make everything much slower and exacerbate the grinding necessary to reach certain stages of the game, making it pointlessly boring. Considering most of said changes will have to go or be remade once the game reaches it's late beta stages, I think that is the most questionable decision TW has made so far concerning BL, and it pisses me off.

BL can be extremely enjoyable if you slap-in a good chunk of mods to it, to me the quintessential ones to make it more pleasurable are those that increase XP rate, kill softcaps, sometimes kill hardcaps and keeps soft caps, etc. If the progression is made smoother the game becomes a more pleasant journey, as it is it sucks, and if you want to simply create a character to test builds or (before the perks website) test perks (if they were working) it was/is a bore of a chore that made me pluck-out my eyes. The bread and butter of BL due to the missing chunks ends up being mid-late game, anything before or after that sucks, and even than, the best part of it still feels like a bore from time to time.

As I've said, the game is in a bad shape, has been since it was released, until the fix the core mechanics and finish implementing core features, it'll remain like that, luckly there are the modding tools now, which can basically mean that someone will "fix" it, but it also means that you'll either need to stick to specific patches and avoid updates like the plague, meaning missing out on other core mechanics that were not added when the mod was last updated.

Hopefully you get my point, you do not have to agree with me, but the guy asked for opinions, and I've simply pointed out that entertainment, when boring, is 100% a failure. Entertainment, to be successful, cannot be boring. I have a plethora of examples of games I've played that fail hard into certain aspects, but still to not hit the boring spot, same with films, music. On the other hand, everything that is boring is generally just binned and nobody even remembers those.
i found CS boring quite alot of the time. I found the Hangover movies mindnumbingly boring, i found the Harry Potter books to be boring, something being boring to someone does not make it a 100% failure, though i do agree Bannerlord needs things added to late game, but they have always said they are planning to, there are features not yet in the game, that effects lategame, also the game is not even complete, so calling it a failure already is just not correct.

erhm dont want to be sounding like this. 3h a day is not enough if youre pro ing. My friend did 12 hours a day for years and he said it was fuggin rough times but they sure rocked on competitions even if it was hard there to

erhm dont want to be sounding like this. 3h a day is not enough if youre pro ing. My friend did 12 hours a day for years and he said it was fuggin rough times but they sure rocked on competitions even if it was hard there to
if you are being sponsored, IE: within a medium to big org in Europe or the US, than yes, you can do that. If you have to work and "pro" CS on the side (semi pro), than no, we do 3h a day minimum. On a different note, though, 12h a day is unhealthy and doesn't help much. And yes, after you turn that game into a "job" it becomes weird, I remember perceiving the game is click simulator basically at some point.

As someone coming from warband I really enjoyed playing bannerlord right when EA dropped. It was crushing to me when the snowball came into play and I realized that my save file was going to have to die. It's cool if you want to check it out, and if you are going to play eventually, the cost will be the same.

If taleworlds doesn't eventually fix all of the issues, modders likely will. Personally I am waiting for snowball to be fixed somehow and for perks to be working completely before diving in again. I just do not want to

A) have my save file bricked by a kingdom that took over the whole world

or

B) work toward developing a character and find out that certain perks are bugged, do not work or are otherwise to be changed.

Back
Top Bottom