State of Shield Infantry in 1.5.5

Users who are viewing this thread

The dominance of cavalry against infantry atm amplifies archers strength to be fair. As cav you are more effective attacking infantry then archers, i find it very hard to kill an aware archer who knows his way around a cav. Infantry is a low risk high reward target.Nerfing Cav against Infantry should tilt the pressure towards archers a bit.

Agree, some of that is also due to other issues such as the maps designed with lots of hiding spots, speed of switching weapon into blocking, cav pushing people around at lower speeds and so on.

Nothing wrong with that as long as 3 cav 3 archers is not the strongest composition. We need to remove the class limit of beast for testing purpose.
No. We don't. The Team Captains have a vote for that. They will decide.
I am so done with the Elite knowing best and I also dont want a series of tournaments which I initiated to degrade into a testing lab and let 9 months of work go to waste for the egos of some.

Last edited:
It needs a special thread, but all the bows in game are so much different now, some bows are just twice as good as another. For example, battanian faster release bow not only fast af, but can also oneshot light infantry, for example aserai tribals, with no headshot. Meanwhile other bows, like Khan's guards recurve bows, can barely deal 25 dmg to the body and can't usually kill with 2 headshots. Thus, some bows, like battania faster release, or sturgia strong bow are really a little bit op compared to others, and some are just trash.
I'm not talking about longbows and shortbows being trash, like who ever will choose battanian long bow if you can choose faster release which shoots 2times faster and deals second high bow damage in game.
We currently don't have bow stats but according to the description the faster release bow only lets arrows fly faster and doesn't shoot faster.
If you choose the heavy armor perk you should get a bow with the same fire rate.

Also I'm not going to get raped by archers and cav for 7 weeks because 'wE nEeD TO tEsT'. Have fun with fighting 5 crossbows (wielding menavlions) and a cataphract.

We currently don't have bow stats but according to the description the faster release bow only lets arrows fly faster and doesn't shoot faster.
If you choose the heavy armor perk you should get a bow with the same fire rate.

Also I'm not going to get raped by archers and cav for 7 weeks because 'wE nEeD TO tEsT'. Have fun with fighting 5 crossbows (wielding menavlions) and a cataphract.
I've tested improved armour and I'm way more comfortable with faster release perk, I'm not sure if it's about drawing speed or arrow flying speed, or because you can release a shot faster not waiting for the crosshair to be fully set up.
I like aserai heavy archer improved armour tho, recurved bow isnt good but the drawing speed is crucial in that cav meta, with a strong bow you just can't deal with cav cause you usually have no time to draw when you see a horse charging you.

Can't they just make archers unable to have shields or 2handed/polearms?

Then make 2handed/polearms great, as well as shields.

Xbowmen should be allowed the pavise shields though, but those shields should be quite heavy so if they hold it in their arm or on their back it should slow them down quite a lot.

My suggested buff for shields is to make them block arrows in a bigger area so that they are great against archers.

To fix cav make them have less manouvrebility and make sure that two handed spears for infantry (pikes) are longer than the longest lance. (need two hands to hold super long thing and cav should honestly always hold the lance in one hand as they need the other hand on the reins)

I'd like to see weekly balance patches. If something goes out of hand you can quickly fix it next week and players won't wait a year until next big patch releases. It is also a great decision to test out new stuff more frequently and devs would feel free to implement something new, that doesn't need hard coding and huge work, you could just drop a patch with some numeric changes and see if it fits the gameplay or it was a bad decision. At least that's how I see EA state of the game.

I'd like to see weekly balance patches. If something goes out of hand you can quickly fix it next week and players won't wait a year until next big patch releases. It is also a great decision to test out new stuff more frequently and devs would feel free to implement something new, that doesn't need hard coding and huge work, you could just drop a patch with some numeric changes and see if it fits the gameplay or it was a bad decision. At least that's how I see EA state of the game.
That's what we are trying to get at in regards to balance patches. New features still have to go through the proper patching process but we are going to push balance changes as hotfixes straight to live.

Currently working on some changes, some of it will be sent today, and the rest hopefully later this week.

Can't they just make archers unable to have shields or 2handed/polearms?

Then make 2handed/polearms great, as well as shields.

Xbowmen should be allowed the pavise shields though, but those shields should be quite heavy so if they hold it in their arm or on their back it should slow them down quite a lot.

My suggested buff for shields is to make them block arrows in a bigger area so that they are great against archers.

To fix cav make them have less manouvrebility and make sure that two handed spears for infantry (pikes) are longer than the longest lance. (need two hands to hold super long thing and cav should honestly always hold the lance in one hand as they need the other hand on the reins)
+1
That would be the ideal imo, our particular happy Arcadia. Unfortunately, this would require a much stricter restructuring of roles, defining each one in its own niche of action, and this clashes head-on with the idea of the premade classes. I mean, an archer is an archer, when you provide him with good armour and a two-handed weapon (sword, axe, menavlion...etc) he is moving away from his role.
Iiirc read to Orion and Marko among other users a speech that I totally agree with. Why are there classes that can operate like others? I mean, why an archer whose main skill is to shoot arrows, has such a high potentiality to dispute with infantry a hand-to-hand combat? Why can he take a horse and have the same skill/control as the cavalry class? And vice versa for any class.

No. We don't. The Team Captains have a vote for that. They will decide.
I am so done with the Elite knowing best and I also dont want a series of tournaments which I initiated to degrade into a testing lab and let 9 months of work go to waste for the egos of some.
WTF do you mean by that? I don't get where my arguments have anything to do with ego or elite.

My main point to abandon the class limit is, that TW is ignoring our stats, is ignoring our understanding from factions, and is ignoring our opinion about infantry because we use the class limit. And they also said that this will never change. TW is balancing for no class limit.
We have the option to live in a parallel world from taleworlds, where faction imbalance and class imbalance is ruined or we can join them, have impact on changes, and see where it takes us.

We will also remove one of the biggest intentions of Skirmish. The plan was to grow competitive play by having the competitive mode also be played on casual. That's why they forced us to play Skirmish and not Battle (and it makes sense). Ranked will be a complete different world from competitive play like this.

In the end I am exactly 50% for and 50% against the class limit. Both possibilities have big advantages and big disadvantages.

That's what we are trying to get at in regards to balance patches. New features still have to go through the proper patching process but we are going to push balance changes as hotfixes straight to live.

Currently working on some changes, some of it will be sent today, and the rest hopefully later this week.
Please release quickfixes, dont let the game rot for months. Add class limits in game modes until its balanced. Right now nobody plays infantry, its just archer and cav spam, literally unplayable if you are a inf main. Literally 90% of inf main dont play the game anymore, there is just nothing rewarding about that. Keep the game healthy with weekly and quick fixes for obvious issues like that time you removed Baravenos from the Siege maps because it was always crashing within 5 minutes. You need to keep doing quickfixes like that. Right now Crossbow is beyond ridiculously overpowered. It was overpowered before and it got BUFFED (not nerfed...?). Making the reload timer longer wont solve anything, its too accurate and powerful.

Please release quickfixes, dont let the game rot for months. Add class limits in game modes until its balanced. Right now nobody plays infantry, its just archer and cav spam, literally unplayable if you are a inf main. Literally 90% of inf main dont play the game anymore, there is just nothing rewarding about that. Keep the game healthy with weekly and quick fixes for obvious issues like that time you removed Baravenos from the Siege maps because it was always crashing within 5 minutes. You need to keep doing quickfixes like that. Right now Crossbow is beyond ridiculously overpowered. It was overpowered before and it got BUFFED (not nerfed...?). Making the reload timer longer wont solve anything, its too accurate and powerful.
We just sent an update today today, there will be another one probably this week with more to follow, so, we are working on it.

On all skirmish matches, Heavy Inf is BY FAR the most selected class and overall infantry consists of 45-55% of all troop picks, which is cavalry and archers combined most cases.

Siege crashes are being investigated, we had to turn off Friendly Fire to make sure if that is causing the issue since that was the only major change before the crashes began.

We just sent an update today today, there will be another one probably this week with more to follow, so, we are working on it.

On all skirmish matches, Heavy Inf is BY FAR the most selected class and overall infantry consists of 45-55% of all troop picks, which is cavalry and archers combined most cases.

Siege crashes are being investigated, we had to turn off Friendly Fire to make sure if that is causing the issue since that was the only major change before the crashes began.

heavy inf is the most selected because most players want to play inf, and heavy inf is the only troop that gives you any flexibility.

The other inf classes force you to choose between having a spear and having a shield with any decent coverage, and with a few exceptions have armor so low it limits your potential in melee extremely.

We need more inf like the Wildling

Do your stats take into consideration destiny pickups which are organized groups and pretty much consist of all the skirmishes going on right now ? What are these stats on unorganized pug groups ? On NA servers whenever i join its always cav and archer spam.

Do your stats take into consideration destiny pickups which are organized groups and pretty much consist of all the skirmishes going on right now ? What are these stats on unorganized pug groups ? On NA servers whenever i join its always cav and archer spam.
There is BEAST limits in DP. That makes the data from it compromised. TW will only balance skirmish with no class limits in mind.

It considers all matchmaking games global, and even though they are included, no, pickups are not a significant part of all skirmish matches.

In the mean time... I am trying to organize small (possibly) bi-weekly tournaments in the near future using the default settings with some sort of in-game rewards.

They will probably start as we get our Team Match system up and running which is basically allowing any 6-stacks to use the current Clan Match system.

In the mean time... I am trying to organize small (possibly) bi-weekly tournaments in the near future using the default settings with some sort of in-game rewards.

They will probably start as we get our Team Match system up and running which is basically allowing any 6-stacks to use the current Clan Match system.
That seems like a good strategy that draws in a crowd of volunteers due to an incentive, while not compromising the fun for the majority. I assume it's in the region of "play test badge" or along those lines, which is undoubtedly a good solution for that format.

You get that going, custom servers, fix infantry and that cav-able-to-block-glitch and give mods a shiny super badge, everyone's happy.
(I'm obviously going overboard here while fully aware of the workload I presume, take it with a grain of salt)
still want my badge though

YOU CAN DO IT TALEWORLDS I BELIEVE IN YOUUU !!!

It would be nice if this :

were a "Draft cup" style of tournament. Would even the playing ground and give a larger vareity of players a chance to win the badge.
If it's going to be like "Beast" then you might just as well give it to DM straight away :smile:

WTF do you mean by that? I don't get where my arguments have anything to do with ego or elite.
I'm not targeting you directly, it's rather generalized.

My main point to abandon the class limit is, that TW is ignoring our stats, is ignoring our understanding from factions, and is ignoring our opinion about infantry because we use the class limit. And they also said that this will never change. TW is balancing for no class limit.
We have the option to live in a parallel world from taleworlds, where faction imbalance and class imbalance is ruined or we can join them, have impact on changes, and see where it takes us.
I stopped counting how many people announced to me they will quit if the class limits get repealed because they just don't want to chase archers across the map only to get couched down or playing medieval counter strike while being on the ground 50% of the time because bump. This is something I take into account, because I want to also have fun while playing the game, I am a loyal fan, but I spend my free time here, I'm no lab rat.
If we are asked to condemn the precarious balance we more or less achieved by our own band-aid fixing to death "FoR TeStInG" it's the wrong approach, BEAST was never intended to be a testing ground for the devs, but a series of competitive tournaments with fun in mind and to keep the community alive. That was my intention for BEAST#1 because I realized that the MP might die out if we don't take it into our own hands.
The class restrictions were imposed by community vote and initiative - not because the tournament administration wanted it! And because of the massive balance changes we are having this vote again right now, so let's see how the patch is perceived. If the restriction gets reaffirmed the third time in a row, I can just hope that this will prove a point.

In the end I am exactly 50% for and 50% against the class limit. Both possibilities have big advantages and big disadvantages.
If I recall correctly, you tell everyone to repeal the limits and - if needs be - burn everything to the ground so the devs take action. I do see what you're trying to point out. But I bought this game for 50 Bucks and I am a loyal fan so I for one would not like to burn down our community to the ground for the sake of proving a point if there is no guarantee that the right measures will be taken in time, I am rather in for defending what we achieved and that's a working tournament structure for 8 months and I hope this is something the community and the developers see.

Back
Top Bottom