State of Shield Infantry in 1.5.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Make your discontent known and put #inflivesmatter behind your nickname on Multiplayer.
bard-and-apri.png

IDK throwings worked pretty well against archers too. It was not unbalanced and it was the only option to chase them. Now you either don't have throwings cause you play heavy inf, or your throwings deal 15 dmg to an archer, I personally just ignore them, I can deal more damage with my shot so it's nice tradeoff.
IMO doubling all throwing's damage would be ok to start with.
Forsee is the only non biased forum member. I appreciate how honest you report about the life of an archer.

There is a reason people voluntarily play all inf skirmish games. They are fast (no reason to wait). All archers are long (the best option is often to camp or run).

Wtf is this Mario cart?
Just listing the options that have been put on the table, I'd personally would love to see Heavy Inf get the hooked spears from single player to buff their utility.
Other than that there's some tweaks necessary to make kiting more difficult and less rewarding and of course nerfing Crossbows. Bows are okay imo. I'd reckon most dedicated shield inf would like a little better shield coverage, which should really help heavy inf mostly.
Skirmishers get the throwing weapons, shock inf get high damage/high speed option and heavy inf needs something other than "higher armor, which doesn't matter much".
IMO doubling all throwing's damage would be ok to start with.
Not necessarily doubling the damage, but the current state of throwables with more than 1 ammo (those are perfectly fine as is imo) is sad. Throwing axes could use a little extra, they're cut based weapons and do very little damage even against lightly armored opponents. No need for the 115 damage franceskas, but a base of 70 as opposed to the 44(?) right now should be fine, considering the less effective damage type against high armor.
Saddest example are the light javelins for the savage. Ammo count of 3, 25 damage? Who picks that, even the rocks are better (20 ammo, 15 damage, but blunt).
I mean they need a decent buff, but I assume the overall doubling is just a a show of intent really. Agree on that of course.

@AVRC

I have a question regarding game design, what is your vision for skirmish? Do you want all classes used evenly, opposed to having shield infantry beeing the main force ? I am just wondering which direction you want to go :smile:

@AVRC

I have a question regarding game design, what is your vision for skirmish? Do you want all classes used evenly, opposed to having shield infantry beeing the main force ? I am just wondering which direction you want to go :smile:
This would be a great discussion to have but my experiences with the forum makes me reluctant talk about it here TBH. Everyone has their own idea of how the game is supposed to be and most people are not very civil about sharing their ideas.

In short, the idea is to give each class situational expertise to make them give the player an edge when the troop is chosen in the correct situation. Not all classes can be chosen the equal amount, obviously Heavy Inf will be the most picked class, but we want to fix some classes with very low pick rates so each class has a role they can fill better than any other class in a certain situation.

We want the opponents line up to create a problem for your team that you need to solve to get the upper hand with your correct troop choices against them rather than opting for the same guaranteed lineup every single time regardless of everything. Obviously just the troop choice will not guarantee your victory, but it should provide you an advantage for the matchup.

Being able to transition to different lineups, when all those lineups are viable and counter-able, makes the game deeper and much more satisfying for the players ultimately but we will see how flexible the strategies can get and can stretch from the current core strat we have.

With the upcoming 3rd perks it will give players more options to 'build' their troop and tailor it against the enemy to have the upper hand in the battle ground. We are aiming to allow players more interesting choices that have slightly more impact than the equipment options in regards to having an advantage against the enemy lineup.

?

Nothing wrong with that as long as 3 cav 3 archers is not the strongest composition. We need to remove the class limit of beast for testing purpose.

Nothing wrong with that as long as 3 cav 3 archers is not the strongest composition. We need to remove the class limit of beast for testing purpose.
3 cav 3 archers method is the strongest composition... Apri is trying to bait so he can prove everything is wrong right now. We don't need to play cancer methods to see it's the best and superior, i just want to enjoy my game man... Imagine getting couched/poked with spears constantly while trying to chase enemy team's archers and also they are cross firing headshot you all over...

3 cav 3 archers method is the strongest composition... Apri is trying to bait so he can prove everything is wrong right now. We don't need to play cancer methods to see it's the best and superior, i just want to enjoy my game man... Imagine getting couched/poked with spears constantly while trying to chase enemy team's archers and also they are cross firing headshot you all over...

And then you get close enough to the fiann finally and he kickslash one shots you through heavy armour :iamamoron: :iamamoron: :iamamoron: :iamamoron: :iamamoron: :iamamoron:

Fian cannot kickslash one shot heavy armor but it's pretty much accurate situation. If you are half or low hp it's possible which you are because you are chasing archers (getting shot) and cavalries are bump hitting you... You chased that archer so long, you have to kill him and he just S keys/back pedals, blocks and kick slash you easily. So it's the most annoying thing i have ever experienced. I do not want to live that hell ever again.

@AVRC Thanks for the answer, its uplifting you see Infantry should be picked slightly more. Because right now clan matches are just horrible, playing against 2-2-2 makes me and big parts of my team want to quit the game, infantry is there to fulfill class limits and die, thats about it.
Not even gonna start on public matchmaking, the last few games were mostly 4 archers/xbows and 2 cavs in the enemy team, thats gonna drain the playerbase rapidly.

@Aprikosenmann If you want to play BEAST4 alone you can scrap the class limits, maybe host something else yourself if you want to experiment :smile:

Improve inf shields catch areas for ranged (have these been reduced again?) and archers will be much less effective against inf. I was shooting around the shield of inf looking right at me in BDC, it is not hard especially with xbow which has an instant deadzone.

Inf will always have a place, improved with this change plus some other ideas like faster capping of flags/nerfing cav ability to do so. On a map like Trading you might see only 1 inf played or so but its fine to have different compositions for different maps.

maybe holding block for more than 1 second with your shield should reduce the blocking movement speed penalty, that way we could chase archers more easily without it impacting melee combat

They should host the first official TW tournament with juicy prizes and no class limit.
But in 1.5.4 cav was not really OP and archery was kinda balanced aswell because inf could kill them with crushthrough and throwables but we still sticked with the class limit for no reason.

They should host the first official TW tournament with juicy prizes and no class limit.
But in 1.5.4 cav was not really OP and archery was kinda balanced aswell because inf could kill them with crushthrough and throwables but we still sticked with the class limit for no reason.
If they want to host it fine i am all up for an experimental tournament. We didnt stick for class limit for no reason, you need to comprehend that there was a vote and the vast majority wanted it. Just wanted to add that i also think on that patch a limit wasnt needed, but as we see from the current patch its a good precaution to have.

If you feel that it is appealing to give room to spawn torpedo strategies and medieval counter-strike that is perfectly acceptable, but dismissing the concerns of the majority and the results of a popular vote as "no reason" seems a little narrow-mineded to me.
Ultimately there should be events without class limits to test this sort of thing, the weekend cups are on the horizon and those are played without class limits. You may want to keep an eye on those.
If TW wants to host a tournament and offer prizes they get to make the rules for that event, but using customers as test subjects is questionable to say the least. It's not like there's no free 6v6 without restrictions being played, most skirmish matches will be exactly that and the data is what TW is probably using the most. I see that you want to adjust the parameters for the competitive scene, but in fairness to everyone spending their time, it should be a decision made by the majority. There's no rules against having a similar style tournament without class restrictions and there's certainly plans for these that do no span over two months.

The majority are going to vote to keep class limits always cos nobody likes archers, regardless of the reality.
It's not that nobody likes archers, but nobody wants to die from a single hit. You could also argue that nobody likes cavalry then, because they're pretty much as deadly as it gets with 1hit potential and superior movement. Except that the heavy cav is expensive enough to warrant it some extra menace, whereas heavy archers cost the same as heavy inf, while currently having a vast difference in viability for a squad of 6.

Back
Top Bottom