State of Melee Part Two

Users who are viewing this thread

Hekko

Master Knight
StateOfMeleePart2.png

The time has come to revert back to MM melee. Alot of people didn't change to Windows Vista when that was released because XP was clearly better, well at the moment melee in NW is like Vista was for OSes. This is problematic because we're de facto forced to use vista, and efforts to alleviate the situation are basically passed off as borderline cheating (Wolfy's mod to change the upstab into an overhead swing). I now propose that instead of forcing everyone into using the Vista of melee we revert back to MM melee until the Windows 7 of melee comes along.

I will now list a few reasons for why melee is not working out at the moment:

[list type=decimal]
[*]The overhead stab is, has been and if based of the current incarnation will always be atrociously bad. The stab is based of the WFaS overhead pike stab and the issues surrounding it seem to be neverending. The code is now alledgedly the same as for downstabs, but this is clearly not true in regard to chambers as well as applying stuns, the hitbox is off by a large margin, my guess is that it's unfixable unless it's redone from scratch, properly.
[*]As mentioned above the overhead stab has a bad hitbox, unfortunately it seems contagious because at the moment the downstabs hitbox seems worse than it was in MM or with Awlpikes in native, on several occasions has Evan been spectating me from a birds-eye-perspective or I him and both of us could swear that the bayonet is solidly in the enemy without it actually doing anything at all.
[*]Something that also plagues melee is the low and random-esque damage of bayonets. Anyone who has spent some time on the groupfighting server against competent oponents will know that the norm is that it takes two stabs to kill someone due to the fact that it's hard to get a clean onehit stab on people in the heat of battle while staying alive. This of course makes fighting when outnumbered alot less valid, because it takes very long to get rid of threats if you end up hitting three guys once/twice without killing them. Swords were compensated for their loss of speedbonus with higher damage, bayonets were not.
[*]The reason for the low damage is the loss of athletics skill. The loss of athletics skill and slower turning speed is causing sluggish melee which quite obviously is undesiarable, and the general sluggishness is probably the cause for alot of problems mentioned above.
[/list]

I believe that no one really knows the ins and outs of melee, and as such tinkering on the current incarnation of things is bound to fail because while progress is made from time to time it still probably never will be satisfactory (upstab changes for instance). Thus accordingly the obvious solution is to just revert to MM melee, and if the interest to go on and try to find a truly enjoyable improvement on melee (the windows 7 of melee so to speak) one can start working on that from scratch rather than with the negative bagage the WFaS upstab carries.

It's quite observable that the current melee incarnation isn't cutting it: there is no populated duel server that I know of, where as in MM I know some people who spent almost all their time on the duel server. This shows that melee has fundamentally lost it's appeal and for it to be truly interesting to play in melee one has to introduce more people to add a different dynamic (why the groupfighting server is populated). Not to mention that people who were considered melee gurus of MM have just quit because the thing that they played MM for just disappeared, and those who go on do so for other reasons (such as the community they are playing with).

One can of course make some arguments for why NW melee should be kept. Some people might say it's more democaratic or whatever, but that's just a bad excuse for not wanting to put in the effort to understand and learn the different techniques needed for MM melee. As far as I am informed most of the who's who of melee want MM melee back. Ward, Varangian, Akame, Vorlen, Sid, Evanovic, Crackman, Glopaxi, PoKo, Robby, George MacKintosh, Hives, Littleguy, Daniel, PhonieX,  and the list goes on. Infact I reckon most people of this steamgroup agree with me to quite a large extent. Those that I spoke to were very much for MM melee, to the point where Glopaxi&PhonieX&Ward were even playing on a MM server asking me to come there. So it goes to show that the argument does not stem from people doing badly, it's from people wanting melee to be more interesting, competative and fun. Also when speaking to people from the US community I have heard that the prominent regiment Marins Garde pretty much quite outright because of the melee.

Accordingly the only argument I see left for people to make in regard to keeping melee is that it's more historical, realistic and aeasthetically pleasing. It's probably more historical, on the other hand I sincerely doubt that everyone on the battlefield was doing soley upstabs in the clips above you can see the vast majority of feints&attacks being upstabs. A musket is quite heavy after all! It's not really more realistic either as shown in this clip as well as the weight argument made before. And it certainly looks less aesthetically pleasing when everyone walks around with the upstab/upblock as seen in this clip from the most recent groupfighting tournament.

Here are a list of clips illustrating the predominance of the upstab, as well as the displeasing aesthetic of it as well as a comparison with a few MM clips showing that while MM certainly has issues it's a lot more refined than NW:
NWEC Final
These are some of the best meleer in the community, and notice how almost every single kill, attack and feint in the clip is an up one.

Random Linebattle
Same predominance, everyone is using the upstab, looks silly, feels silly, acts silly!

A clip from the 5th groupfighting tournament
Downstabs are the primary mode of attack, also illustrates that thoughtless overhead spamming gets you killed not to mention the higher precision and fluidity of MM combat.

Part 2 of the same clip

Reaffirms the above observations, also shows the need for teamwork&co-ordination in order to take down a opponents fast in the famous overhead-downstab combo!

Part 3 of the same clip

The third bit from the same clip shows how spinning isn't as much an eyesore as people make it out to be, unless people deliberately go out of their way to make it silly, in which case spinning isn't the only thing that looks silly. All these clips illustrate a second point, in the sense that it's absent: spinning is hardly as efficient or predominant as people make it out to be. The clip is of Graham and his Minions winning the groupfighting tournament, yet still, none of them spin like like a fan.

So considering everything written above there's no reason to keep the NW way of melee, while there is every reason to change away from NW melee, and since the only available change at the moment is reverting to MM that is what should be done!

Thanks to Evan for supplying most of the clips with comments, header and valuable discussion, thanks to Lyra for making the demostration clip of the unrealistc overhead!

If you spent as much time playing as you did making threads complaining about it then you would, by now, have no qualms with it. As much as I agree with you clearly your word is not heeded and nothing is going to be done to the melee system, I wouldn't waste your breath with it.

You revert back to MM melee, you'll kill a huge amount of the newer player base. It'd be a foolish idea, I'm sorry. A slighty faster turning and thrusting speed is not worth the loss of hundreds of players.

SeanBeansShako said:
You revert back to MM melee, you'll kill a huge amount of the newer player base. It'd be a foolish idea, I'm sorry. A slighty faster turning and thrusting speed is not worth the loss of hundreds of players.

We've already lost quite a few. I'd rather them possibly come back for good melee, then never see them again.

SeanBeansShako said:

So people would quit... because melee requires a bit of skill and practice? I don't know of anyone who would leave the DLC if the melee was reverted; in fact, those in my regiment who I've introduced to MM preferred that style of melee to what we have now.

SeanBeansShako said:

Nonsense. New players don't buy the game for melee but rather for the Napoleonic experience. What melee does affect though is the veteran player base. Bring back MM-esque melee and you'll get a boost in activity, especially from MM players who have gone off NW.

Just want to support the point Hekko is making: NW melee is not more realistic. IRL overhead stab was NOT the primary melee attack, but rather the downstab would be (the one that is predominant in MM).

Gunnar11 said:
SeanBeansShako said:

We've already lost quite a few. I'd rather them possibly come back for good melee, then never see them again.

This community drives off people, not the blasted melee system. Lazy or terrible Admins that barely show on a handful of anarchic servers the latter of which are almost non existant for the US and Australia I may add too with a forum obsessed with outdated combat mechanics and meaningless Clan drama.

It is just getting to the point now Vince should just let you guys modify Mount and Musket to your hearts content because no matter how many threads or times you will ask the DLC will not over night revert back.

Nonsense. New players don't buy the game for melee but rather for the Napoleonic experience. What melee does affect though is the veteran player base. Bring back MM-esque melee and you'll get a boost in activity, especially from MM players who have gone off NW.

Just want to support the point Hekko is making: NW melee is not more realistic. IRL overhead stab was NOT the primary melee attack, but rather the downstab would be (the one that is predominant in MM).

Give me numbers of these expats. I recall barely anyone playing back when this was MM casually outside line battles. At least now you can find a semi-decent casual game most of the time. I want screenshots of MM at its height with its player base not waffle.

GerDeathstar said:
Back to pre-MM!

Four directions! Slashing damage for swings!

God. Not that again. But I miss the days where all grenadiers got stylish swords...

OT: I also feel MM´s melee more consistent and solid. That said, I always thought that the overhead attack felt really awkward, and NW feels much better (not in a gameplay point of view).

I think we should go for a middle point.

SeanBeansShako said:
Give me numbers of these expats. I recall barely anyone playing back when this was MM casually outside line battles. At least now you can find a semi-decent casual game most of the time.

I'd like to make the simple note that this is due to the fact that NW is an official game, and is featured on Steam, whereas MM was not.

Give me numbers of these expats. I recall barely anyone playing back when this was MM casually outside line battles. At least now you can find a semi-decent casual game most of the time. I want screenshots of MM at its height with its player base not waffle.

If you want numbers I'll refer you to the steamgroup: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ChangeNW

TheBoberton said:
SeanBeansShako said:
Give me numbers of these expats. I recall barely anyone playing back when this was MM casually outside line battles. At least now you can find a semi-decent casual game most of the time.

I'd like to make the simple note that this is due to the fact that NW is an official game, and is featured on Steam, whereas MM was not.

This is irrelevant. NW is a module of Warband in the same folder and is launched the same way as Warband.

STEAM groups are meaningless. People are lazy, I've got a billion HL2 mod ones I barely play still. I'm in that group and I haven't touched MM since April.

SeanBeansShako said:
This community drives off people, not the blasted melee system. Lazy or terrible Admins that barely show on a handful of anarchic servers the latter of which are almost non existant for the US and Australia I may add too with a forum obsessed with outdated combat mechanics and meaningless Clan drama.

I know of at least 30 people who left because of the melee, so the melee system does drive people away. :razz:

Now, I am going to attempt to stop replying, before I begin rambling. I told myself I wasn't allowed to ramble anymore.

SeanBeansShako said:
STEAM groups are meaningless. People are lazy, I've got a billion HL2 mod ones I barely play still. I'm in that group and I haven't touched MM since April.

You're not exactly supporting your own statements with numbers.

SeanBeansShako said:
TheBoberton said:

This is irrelevant. NW is a module of Warband in the same folder and is launched the same way as Warband.

It is not irrelevant at all. NW is advertised the thousands... no, millions of Steam users, whereas MM had only its little sub-forum, and the words of its players. Had MM received the same, I assure you that it would have had just as many people as NW has now.

Gunnar11 said:
SeanBeansShako said:

I know of about 30+ people who left because of the melee, so the melee system does drive people away. :razz:

TheBoberton said:
SeanBeansShako said:
TheBoberton said:

It is not irrelevant at all. NW is advertised the thousands... no, millions of Steam users, whereas MM had only its little sub-forum, and the words of its players. Had MM received the same, I assure you that it would have had just as many people as NW has now.

They would have played it for two weeks top and left for something else. Take off your rose tinted glasses, MM wasn't the end all of games.

Melee system goes back to MM, I lose a hundred of my guys for good as they have lives and don't have time to invest or put up with that twitch nonsense.

You keep pressing the developers to tool around with the melee system with their fiddily update we're barely going to see what little content we can have too.

13144C83650F2DEE0CFD958ADC16AAB342B05DA0

That's the population that got on after the server being up roughly 30 min or so, only through word of mouth. Imagine if it was the official server with alot of people aware of the possibility.

SeanBeansShako said:
They would have played it for two weeks top and left for something else. Take off your rose tinted glasses, MM wasn't the end all of games.

Melee system goes back to MM, I lose a hundred of my guys for good as they have lives and don't have time to invest or put up with that twitch nonsense.

You keep pressing the developers to tool around with the melee system with their fiddily update we're barely going to see what little content we can have too.

So, its ok to lose a great deal of people, as long as they aren't yours? Its not about the community losing people, it's about YOU losing people.
(See? now I am going to start rambling -_- I think I am just going to get off of Taleworlds for awhile.)

Hekko said:
13144C83650F2DEE0CFD958ADC16AAB342B05DA0

That's the population that got on after the server being up roughly 30 min or so, only through word of mouth. Imagine if it was the official server with alot of people aware of the possibility.

Show me a hundred players at European or North American prime time. More people are playing HL1 Death Match right now. Hell, more people are playing The Deluge.

Gunnar11 said:
SeanBeansShako said:

So, its ok to lose a great deal of people, as long as they aren't yours? Its not about the community losing people, it's about YOU losing people.
(See? now I am going to start rambling -_- I think I am just going to get off of Taleworlds for awhile.)

My guys are mostly casual gamers, over half of them don't know what the difference between a Shako or a Bicorn is. They play for the unique setting and easy to access game play. I've bought and gifted the game to several.

Half of those guys and me lost interest in touching Mount and Musket for anything but line battles because of the population and awful melee combat.

Back
Top Bottom