Starving town can't be helped when I have plenty AND its selling grain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doofus

Sergeant
Fairly recently took over a town. Not my culture and 2 of the 3 villages have been pillaged (managed to save 1 multiple times before they left it alone). Installed a companion of that culture as governor. Still at war, so of course food continues to drop and the town was out when I took it over.

http://prntscr.com/12l65nt The prior owners apparently did nothing but try to build up the walls, even though things are fairly well established to the point I'm already a level 5 clan.

So the place is starving, which is pretty standard. But...there's nothing I can do about it. I have over 350 grain on me and could get more, but I've tried selling food to towns before and it does nothing to help the starving status. Additionally, when I check the Trade screen, I see they are selling a fair amount of food...so why are they starving? http://prntscr.com/12l6akz Pretty sure I've seen this before. Its like doing the 'need grain' quest where they already have a small amount of grain they are selling and after you get the grain and give it to them they just put it up for sale (Yeah, I usually buy it back even though its more than I usually pay for grain).

Please fix this, make it logical (don't sell food when you are 'starving'). Make it so you can actually do something to help the situation. Make it so you can contribute food to the town to stop the starving. Or make it so you can sell food to them, that won't go back on sale, that is actually used to help the starving issue (which they should be willing to pay you quite well for, frankly). Incidentally, because they are starving, I can't even try to quick-build the orchards or anything to help food production. You'll note I tried to contribute to boosting construction, but it still is 0 construction. This usually happens, but I was hoping it would at least get a small amount of construction going, no luck.

Basically you have people in a town saying "We're starving". But we are going to sell our food to make some money and we refuse to buy food from you because we would rather die than go broke. And we don't want you to give us food because...well...apparently the starvation already killed our brain cells.

Fairly recently took over a town. Not my culture and 2 of the 3 villages have been pillaged (managed to save 1 multiple times before they left it alone). Installed a companion of that culture as governor. Still at war, so of course food continues to drop and the town was out when I took it over.

http://prntscr.com/12l65nt The prior owners apparently did nothing but try to build up the walls, even though things are fairly well established to the point I'm already a level 5 clan.

So the place is starving, which is pretty standard. But...there's nothing I can do about it. I have over 350 grain on me and could get more, but I've tried selling food to towns before and it does nothing to help the starving status. Additionally, when I check the Trade screen, I see they are selling a fair amount of food...so why are they starving? http://prntscr.com/12l6akz Pretty sure I've seen this before. Its like doing the 'need grain' quest where they already have a small amount of grain they are selling and after you get the grain and give it to them they just put it up for sale (Yeah, I usually buy it back even though its more than I usually pay for grain).

Please fix this, make it logical (don't sell food when you are 'starving'). Make it so you can actually do something to help the situation. Make it so you can contribute food to the town to stop the starving. Or make it so you can sell food to them, that won't go back on sale, that is actually used to help the starving issue (which they should be willing to pay you quite well for, frankly). Incidentally, because they are starving, I can't even try to quick-build the orchards or anything to help food production. You'll note I tried to contribute to boosting construction, but it still is 0 construction. This usually happens, but I was hoping it would at least get a small amount of construction going, no luck.

Basically you have people in a town saying "We're starving". But we are going to sell our food to make some money and we refuse to buy food from you because we would rather die than go broke. And we don't want you to give us food because...well...apparently the starvation already killed our brain cells.

From what I see here on your pics "everything is actually in order" and works at is should.
There is another one you should have taken a hover over picture from "Food" next to loyalty there.
Where it says -14.

But basically haveing 2 looted villages means that they provide 0 to food, where they normally would provide from 2 - 5 15 food.
Prosperity of town is amount of ppl, and they consume "quite alot of food" when you however over the food you will see they alone eat like -60 and more the more "prosperity" it have.

Each unit of food you have will provide a small amount of + food, but not much,

172 grain for instance is so low it wont provide any bonus to food or very low, try to get as much in as you can, like dump if you can up towards 1000 units of grain, and you'll see things change fast.
Same if you are wealthy enough and nearest town isnt hostile, buy all their food, sell it in yours, you'll prolly take a financial hit, but it shouldnt take that long before starts to fix things.

So what I'm sayig is that everything is actually in order, its not a bug, your just not putting enough food in :wink:

I think low security and low loyalty also contributes negative if I recall on the production, but this I cant confirm, as I dont have such a town to look at.

So ideally take a new pic like you did, but this time over the food production so it shows all the sources of food + whats being used :wink:

The Food doesn't update in real time when you sell to the store, so just sell you grain and go get more (fish andmeat too!) and sell it, then after the daily tick you should see improvement. The "starving" status doesn't immediately go away even when the food is balanced out, I think it takes an additional day of being balanced for it to clear.

Low loyalty and other stats will tank your construction stat making it impossible to make upgrades, just cart in food and do any relevant quests (-loyalty or security issues) and it'll get straitened out soon.

I agree that it would be nice to have a more direct option to feed the town, but what you've described is working as intended by the devs.

Okay after taking a rebel town in a new game in 1.5.10 I agree with the OP, they just want way too much food and the loyalty does drop much faster then expected (based on older versions).
@mexxico I don't know what you guys did but it's not okay, the towns are very unlikely to stabilize after a rebellion, it's a pure downgrade to the gameplay and a huge waste of the players time to take a town and not be able to stabilize it.
Edit: Guess it got moved to the Keep, to bad I think this issue needs some work and fast.

Last edited:
Okay after taking a rebel town in a new game in 1.5.10 I agree with the OP, they just want way too much food and the loyalty does drop much faster then expected (based on older versions).
@mexxico I don't know what you guys did but it's not okay, the towns are very unlikely to stabilize after a rebellion, it's a pure downgrade to the gameplay and a huge waste of the players time to take a town and not be able to stabilize it.
Edit: Guess it got moved to the Keep, to bad I think this issue needs some work and fast.

This kind of ties into the other post I've made that is somewhat tied to it though, that the starting hearths -> which leads to village contribution of food is very low.

Again in the menu however over the food - see where the food you make is provided to the town come from.

You can see that the villages if they are super-poor wont contribute anything.
Prosperity which I've also said should be renamed to Population for makeing the more obvious connection for ppl, means if its prosperous - lots of ppl - lots of food to be eaten to manage.

Then if you dump a ton into the garrison, you cant anymore or not as easy as you did.
So its a change of paceing for the player, if you want to ensure it not revolt, you cant be on the frontlines that much, you need to micromanage the town until its "settled" at a more stable condition.

I'll be honest its not the best solution its abit too much.

To cope with it I had for instace the kingdome institute the "Hunting rights" since all the other towns was starving more or less.
I keep on getting grain and dumping into towns of the kingdome just to make sure they dont starve.

My own town, I've leeched from other kingdome's towns nearby, buying all their food and dumping into mine.
I just make the other parties I have for my clan join the fights, but be on the defensive so they wont raid and chase other lords, but still partake in sieges etc.
Kind of a gamechanger, no doubt but tbh I kind of like it.

This kind of ties into the other post I've made that is somewhat tied to it though, that the starting hearths -> which leads to village contribution of food is very low.

Again in the menu however over the food - see where the food you make is provided to the town come from.

You can see that the villages if they are super-poor wont contribute anything.
Prosperity which I've also said should be renamed to Population for makeing the more obvious connection for ppl, means if its prosperous - lots of ppl - lots of food to be eaten to manage.

Then if you dump a ton into the garrison, you cant anymore or not as easy as you did.
So its a change of paceing for the player, if you want to ensure it not revolt, you cant be on the frontlines that much, you need to micromanage the town until its "settled" at a more stable condition.

I'll be honest its not the best solution its abit too much.

To cope with it I had for instace the kingdome institute the "Hunting rights" since all the other towns was starving more or less.
I keep on getting grain and dumping into towns of the kingdome just to make sure they dont starve.

My own town, I've leeched from other kingdome's towns nearby, buying all their food and dumping into mine.
I just make the other parties I have for my clan join the fights, but be on the defensive so they wont raid and chase other lords, but still partake in sieges etc.
Kind of a gamechanger, no doubt but tbh I kind of like it.
+1

Hi,
I just downloaded the beta update and realized almost every town in Calradia was starving. Healthy propserous towns, for instance Praven 14000 prosperity, overflowing with grain sacks: a 14 food decifit each day.

So yeah, not only is there not enough food and the prosperity mechanic is beyond broken at this point, but the problem is compounded by the fact that garrisons recruit autonomously now. In all my games, my garrison are neatly and perfectly set up so they can defend my fiefs and not cost me too much money.

Now all of a sudden the AI recruits to max capacity. And not only recruits mind you, but noble troops.
So the villages don't produce anymore as they used to, the garrison is full so it means another -20 to food.

I mean, do they even play the game before releasing it?

Hi,
I just downloaded the beta update and realized almost every town in Calradia was starving. Healthy propserous towns, for instance Praven 14000 prosperity, overflowing with grain sacks: a 14 food decifit each day.

So yeah, not only is there not enough food and the prosperity mechanic is beyond broken at this point, but the problem is compounded by the fact that garrisons recruit autonomously now. In all my games, my garrison are neatly and perfectly set up so they can defend my fiefs and not cost me too much money.

Now all of a sudden the AI recruits to max capacity. And not only recruits mind you, but noble troops.
So the villages don't produce anymore as they used to, the garrison is full so it means another -20 to food.

Thats an issue on its own if prosperity is too high, they cant get enough food to feed it in general or its a harder time getting it atleast for the ai.

I do agree that overall the tuneing needs some balance.

Part of the problem is that the villages arent starting out with enough ppl in them - thus thye dont provide enough food aswell in some cases any.

I also think that alot of the cities dont have orchards pre-built and that also hurt them alot.

Take my current town Epicrotea its prosperity atm is 2,2k this means that it consumes about 65 units of food on its own.
Add in a garrison that most likely consume 7.
The 3 villages when I got the town provided 2 food, so in totalt 6 food.
The town had no orchard at all, up until I built it manageing the starvation was a task I had to actually work on, I had to mix between days of letting the town work on the orchards, and then have a time of festival & games to avoid it going below 50 loyalty(where it wont produce anything at all).

This is EA this is where they fine-tune mechanics, atm the food is too harsh(specially for the aI)

I think this is my biggest issue with the Devs. A lot of things I feel they never even tried after 'fixing' them. On another thread someone mentioned they turned back to 1.5.8 and all their lag/crash issues resolved. That means the game is going backwards.

I had something similar happen today. Got Charas after it rebelled due to starving, of course my own side raided the villages first and the loyalty was around 17 so it had no incoming food and I couldn't start building orchards. I carried in about 400 units of grain I think twice and it started to stabilize. Charas and Sargot both have rebelled 2 or 3 times each at the start of my game because they're just not self sufficient with food right away.

So if they WANT to have lots of starvation and rebellions, it is a design choice and it does ad some new difficulties to the game.
For instance it did shut down my early aggro plan in my new 1.5.10 game. I bum rushed the first rebellions with a t3 40 man party and although I was able to take the town, I was not able to stabilize it fast enough and had to except the inevitable rebellion. I could just not get enough food and security fast enough to recover it. This could be circumvented by having more troops and massive food ready to to start stabilize faster, but that wasn't possible so early in the game for me. SO i would say it's a better plan to only take a town that already has orchard upgrades, eve if from a main faction, so that you can stabilize it faster.

Hard to know what has orchards though. I took over Ortongard, one of the main Khuzait towns in a well developed game and the only upgrade it had was was a level 1 fortification (working on 2nd level).

Dont worry it will be adressed in few months :grin:
Also there is morale to it, war is bad.

Back
Top Bottom