Starting tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Permanganate

Recruit
I've never been a big fan of native warband SP so I've never really been to this stage (owning a fief). What are some good starting tips for this mod?

Actually, I would like an answer to this too. What's the equivalent to sea raiders? I find it hard to get started in the game, building up some money, etc.

Most of the features of the mod are design for middle or end game. Ie when you are as a lord of a faction or you're a leader of your own faction.

But if you want to start from 0. chasing bandits are for absolute beginning. When you only have a few men and don't have anything else. After that, do what vagabonds did at that age - be a mercenary. Either as a freelancer or an actual mercenary captain. Actualy being a captain you will get paid for both your party(as long as it's not too big) and add an extra bonus for you as the party leader.

Trading is also a good start if you're interested in just money.

A good tip for beginners is battlefield looting while freelancing. Which means, if you still are "solo" (no companions, army, etc.) you go to a lord and ask him to join his army (pick a lord that has not too many men in his army as he won't run out any enemies or a lord with too few men in his party as you will get smashed a lot; I usually pick a lord with an army size of around 100 men). Then, when it comes to battle I just avoid going head on into melee, instead I try to wait until the lesser tier troops with their glaives or scythes are appearing on the battlefield of whom I then will try to kill a few, then dropping all my weapons and picking up (by pressing F) 4 glaives or other 2-h weapons. After that I try to run and survive the battle until it's over - if the battle ends you will get the stuff you picked up from a battle. When the battle is over I ask my lord for a short leave and go to the next town and sell the stuff, i.e. the 4 glaives, etc. Independent from your trade skill, well almost, you will get something around 5-6,000 dinar per glaive or 4-5,000 per shortened scythe. This means if you manage to successfully loot on a battlefield and sell the stuff you will get something around 15,000-20,000 dinars. This money I take for either doing trading if my trade skill is somewhat high (4-5 or higher) or I take the money and invest it in enterprises.

And whereever there is a tournament or feast going on, get in and join the tournament. I once managed to make a little more than 100,000 dinar in less than 2 weeks, from scratch, by tournamenting/trading my way down from England over France to Italy.

oroboros said:
A good tip for beginners is battlefield looting while freelancing. Which means, if you still are "solo" (no companions, army, etc.) you go to a lord and ask him to join his army (pick a lord that has not too many men in his army as he won't run out any enemies or a lord with too few men in his party as you will get smashed a lot; I usually pick a lord with an army size of around 100 men). Then, when it comes to battle I just avoid going head on into melee, instead I try to wait until the lesser tier troops with their glaives or scythes are appearing on the battlefield of whom I then will try to kill a few, then dropping all my weapons and picking up (by pressing F) 4 glaives or other 2-h weapons. After that I try to run and survive the battle until it's over - if the battle ends you will get the stuff you picked up from a battle. When the battle is over I ask my lord for a short leave and go to the next town and sell the stuff, i.e. the 4 glaives, etc. Independent from your trade skill, well almost, you will get something around 5-6,000 dinar per glaive or 4-5,000 per shortened scythe. This means if you manage to successfully loot on a battlefield and sell the stuff you will get something around 15,000-20,000 dinars. This money I take for either doing trading if my trade skill is somewhat high (4-5 or higher) or I take the money and invest it in enterprises.

And whereever there is a tournament or feast going on, get in and join the tournament. I once managed to make a little more than 100,000 dinar in less than 2 weeks, from scratch, by tournamenting/trading my way down from England over France to Italy.

I've tried to do that looting trick before, but for somereasons, I can't loot enemies weapons which I picked up at the end of the battle.  :???:

Exactly, you have to have your stuff together before the "battle won" screen appears or even a little bit earlier than that. I always take a look at the minimap and if there are only like 10-20 enemies left and it's the last wave I start running around the battlefield in search for glaives/2-h weapons or 1/2-h swords and 1-h swords. If I get my eyes on a glaive or two before that point in time I try to fetch them but my shield and other personal weapon (mostly a sword) I only drop near the end of the battle in order to fetch me another 2 nice loot weapons.

Battlefield looting seems like a cheat really.

A couple other questions for a noob to this mod;

1) does it matter how many days have passed in the game? Does the game get harder later on when lots of days have passed? Im asking because I have been been taken prisoner alot and I am on day 40and and only level 8.

2) I have only found companions who have fighting skills. For trading,healing,path finding should I just train those ob my character? Or I guess I can train the companions but might be hard as some are high level already.

Thanks

1: No it actually get's easier.Pirates-sea raiders don't tend to be so difficult after you get some proper armor,
own a decent army of 30-40 soldiers, and have some enterprises to couter-act the cost.
It's essential though to get a decent armor, a decent foot-mails, and a helmet.

2: There are some companions who have non-fighting skills, such as a low path-finding,
trade, and looting.But don't expect more than 3 points.
A good way of having companions is to speak to the tavern keeper and ask him if "are there
any companions who are willing to join a party like mine?".
In case you didn't know, then a messager takes off to whatever city the companion is at,
and after a few days the companion shows up in the tavern in which you aked the question.
(in case you didn't know that feature)

Did not know about that tavern feature....that's great thanks for that.

Also does not appear they tell you their skills before paying to hire them...at least most that I have seen.

I was wrong in my post above about the value of looted weapons from battlefield. I just started a new game on the latest revision and joined Bohemond of Antioch as freelancer. I served for 1 month until I became a knight. We fought in 3 major and 5 minor battles against the Mameluks, during which I tried to loot at the end of every battle. For a shortened scythe I got 623 dinar (trade 2) and for a regular 1-h sword 312, ~400 for a Saracen long cavalry sword. During this 1 month of service I was able to loot stuff worth around 15,000 dinar and I won 1 tournament in Nicosia which brought me another 15,000. After finishing freelancing I had something around 35,000 dinar in my pocket additionally to a knightly armour, a destrier that I looted and some other good weapons and armour stuff. If I had taken the chance on every tournament I met on my ways I would have 45,000 more cash. So, it is quite possible to make 80,000 or more dinarii in the first month if you take on every chance you get.

Also does not appear they tell you their skills before paying to hire them...at least most that I have seen.

That's because they're not finished, but a new system of companions will be introduced.
See companion revision 3 in the sticky threads.

Back
Top Bottom