START HERE: Beginner's Guide and Reference Book (2014 version)

Users who are viewing this thread

I've noticed that there are a variety of specific suggestion threads, but I didn't see any dedicated Q&A-like thread, so I hope it's okay to throw a bunch of questions I have in this one. Hopefully most of my questions aren't wasting your time with a bunch of repeats previously posted.

[list type=decimal]
[*]I actually haven't tried an arcane spellcaster yet, as I've been enjoying some of my other characters for the time being, but I wanted to ask something about arcane spellcasting before I try it. Do different spells have a Magic Power prerequisite? Or are all spells available for use with just one rank in Magic Power?

[*]Is there a way for NPC companions to use the Entertain skill? I think the first time I recruited Traril on one of my characters, I thought, "Well, this guy is pretty devoted to his deity, so I'll give him some Faith skill points and later have him learn divine spellcasting. He keeps mentioning dancing, too, so I think I'll give him points in Entertain so he can be the party's Bard, maybe sort of a dervish fighter." Well, a few points into Entertain later, and I still saw no city options related to Entertain, although the party list does display his level of the skill on the left side, as if it should somehow benefit the party. I assume Entertain just plain doesn't work for NPC companions, and is more like a Leader skill than a Personal skill, similar to how Persuasion is? If that's the case, might it work as a Party skill in a later version of the mod? I can understand why Entertain on a companion might be bad, though, since it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for the player to gain renown and such from the companion's efforts; I was just hoping to use it to boost morale, but that didn't work out.

[*]We've got the Gauntlets of Ogre Power that enhance the Strength ability score, but are there any plans to have magic items that increase the other three attributes? We've also got equipment that can boost our Stealth and Magic Power skills. Might there be magic items that enhance other skills as well? I imagine a big restriction for magic items is the fixed amount of equip-able regions, since it is far less specific than D&D's many item categories.

[*]I've noticed that my two orc characters look fairly similar other than hair and skin tone just because none of the sliders on the right side do anything. Are there plans for the new races to have more customization?

[*]One of the things that drew me to this mod was the prospect of it being similar to this old Mount & Blade fantasy mod called The Horde Lands. There was this one location in the Horde Lands mod that featured a dungeon. Might we see something like that in the future?

[*]Is it possible to give undead and demon units some measure of damage reduction like in D&D? For example, zombies could have DR5/Cutting and skeletons could have DR5/Blunt, or something along those lines. I don't know if there are any hidden damage types beyond Cutting, Piercing, and Blunt, or if the engine allows for creating more, like how in D&D there are several types such as Magic, Cold Iron, and the like. Even so, I'm unsure if you can even assign damage reduction values to units, or if you can only "fake it" with armor values.

[*]I've seen the tournaments in Mage Tower, which seem to try to compensate for most mages being physically weaker by having it purely staves and stones, which most mages would have a proficiency in. Might there be an actual mage tournament of sorts later down the road where arcane prowess is tested?

[*]This is probably less about this mod and more about the mod that adds sea travel, but... might we be able to purchase more than one ship? I know we currently cannot, but I'm more questioning if the coding would allow for more than one ship at a time. Usually it feels like any time I'm near a coastal city and could really use a ship, it's halfway across the map somewhere.

Or maybe if we can't buy another ship, might we be able to pay for fares to be transported to another port city? We could perhaps pay a fee, choose from a list of applicable destinations, then be on an automatically moving ship that takes us to another city, similar to how a bandit can drag the player around should he or she fall in battle. Maybe the automated voyage is perfectly safe and the corsairs and sea raiders don't attack, or maybe we might have to defend ourselves along the way should a sea battle happen.

[*]Similar to the above idea, if it's at all possible to board a ship as a passenger, perhaps the Mage Guild NPCs could also offer a teleport service. The fee would likely be hefty, and there might be a chance of mishap, such as missing the target destination by a variable distance, but it could potentially transport the player to a selected location instantly. Maybe all locations are available, or maybe it's a limited list that varies per NPC, based on distance or where they (NPC or player) have been before.

[*]Travelling Village Farmers on the map, Village Elders, Farmers that show up in taverns to recruit a hero, and sometimes the city Guild Masters, Tavern Keepers, and Tournament Masters (in arena) are human in non-human lands. Might we one day have more consistency with races in regards to their nation? I believe that Horde Lands mod had some, if not all of their farmers as varying races, so I would think it must be possible.

[*]My relations with the NPCs in the Four Ways Inn seem to fluctuate. Now, I'm sure our relations with the FWI NPCs probably doesn't currently affect anything, but I'm very curious as to why my relations with them keeps changing. I don't know what would make the numbers go up or down, but it's peculiar that it's always changing.

[*]How does the Holy Avenger work in the hands of companions? Is the bonus damage based on the leader's Honor score, or the wielder's, which I presume to be permanently 0 for everyone else?

[*]I'm sure Warband must have some random factor and maybe even a constant value involved with the success rate of sneaking into an enemy city or castle, but not being a modder myself, I've no idea. As for this mod, does the Stealth skill have any affect on sneaking into enemy locations? If not, should it? I can see this going both ways. On the one hand, being stealthy and being good with disguises are not at all the same thing, and sneaking into an enemy's base definitely has more to do with the disguise department. But on the other hand, a roguish character typically is adept in both sides of remaining undetected. What do you think?
[/list]
I really do enjoy this mod in any case. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Suminagashi said:
I've noticed that there are a variety of specific suggestion threads, but I didn't see any dedicated Q&A-like thread, so I hope it's okay to throw a bunch of questions I have in this one. Hopefully most of my questions aren't wasting your time with a bunch of repeats previously posted.

[list type=decimal]
[*]I actually haven't tried an arcane spellcaster yet, as I've been enjoying some of my other characters for the time being, but I wanted to ask something about arcane spellcasting before I try it. Do different spells have a Magic Power prerequisite? Or are all spells available for use with just one rank in Magic Power?

[*]Is there a way for NPC companions to use the Entertain skill? I think the first time I recruited Traril on one of my characters, I thought, "Well, this guy is pretty devoted to his deity, so I'll give him some Faith skill points and later have him learn divine spellcasting. He keeps mentioning dancing, too, so I think I'll give him points in Entertain so he can be the party's Bard, maybe sort of a dervish fighter." Well, a few points into Entertain later, and I still saw no city options related to Entertain, although the party list does display his level of the skill on the left side, as if it should somehow benefit the party. I assume Entertain just plain doesn't work for NPC companions, and is more like a Leader skill than a Personal skill, similar to how Persuasion is? If that's the case, might it work as a Party skill in a later version of the mod? I can understand why Entertain on a companion might be bad, though, since it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for the player to gain renown and such from the companion's efforts; I was just hoping to use it to boost morale, but that didn't work out.

[*]We've got the Gauntlets of Ogre Power that enhance the Strength ability score, but are there any plans to have magic items that increase the other three attributes? We've also got equipment that can boost our Stealth and Magic Power skills. Might there be magic items that enhance other skills as well? I imagine a big restriction for magic items is the fixed amount of equip-able regions, since it is far less specific than D&D's many item categories.

[*]I've noticed that my two orc characters look fairly similar other than hair and skin tone just because none of the sliders on the right side do anything. Are there plans for the new races to have more customization?

[*]One of the things that drew me to this mod was the prospect of it being similar to this old Mount & Blade fantasy mod called The Horde Lands. There was this one location in the Horde Lands mod that featured a dungeon. Might we see something like that in the future?

[*]Is it possible to give undead and demon units some measure of damage reduction like in D&D? For example, zombies could have DR5/Cutting and skeletons could have DR5/Blunt, or something along those lines. I don't know if there are any hidden damage types beyond Cutting, Piercing, and Blunt, or if the engine allows for creating more, like how in D&D there are several types such as Magic, Cold Iron, and the like. Even so, I'm unsure if you can even assign damage reduction values to units, or if you can only "fake it" with armor values.

[*]I've seen the tournaments in Mage Tower, which seem to try to compensate for most mages being physically weaker by having it purely staves and stones, which most mages would have a proficiency in. Might there be an actual mage tournament of sorts later down the road where arcane prowess is tested?

[*]This is probably less about this mod and more about the mod that adds sea travel, but... might we be able to purchase more than one ship? I know we currently cannot, but I'm more questioning if the coding would allow for more than one ship at a time. Usually it feels like any time I'm near a coastal city and could really use a ship, it's halfway across the map somewhere.

Or maybe if we can't buy another ship, might we be able to pay for fares to be transported to another port city? We could perhaps pay a fee, choose from a list of applicable destinations, then be on an automatically moving ship that takes us to another city, similar to how a bandit can drag the player around should he or she fall in battle. Maybe the automated voyage is perfectly safe and the corsairs and sea raiders don't attack, or maybe we might have to defend ourselves along the way should a sea battle happen.

[*]Similar to the above idea, if it's at all possible to board a ship as a passenger, perhaps the Mage Guild NPCs could also offer a teleport service. The fee would likely be hefty, and there might be a chance of mishap, such as missing the target destination by a variable distance, but it could potentially transport the player to a selected location instantly. Maybe all locations are available, or maybe it's a limited list that varies per NPC, based on distance or where they (NPC or player) have been before.

[*]Travelling Village Farmers on the map, Village Elders, Farmers that show up in taverns to recruit a hero, and sometimes the city Guild Masters, Tavern Keepers, and Tournament Masters (in arena) are human in non-human lands. Might we one day have more consistency with races in regards to their nation? I believe that Horde Lands mod had some, if not all of their farmers as varying races, so I would think it must be possible.

[*]My relations with the NPCs in the Four Ways Inn seem to fluctuate. Now, I'm sure our relations with the FWI NPCs probably doesn't currently affect anything, but I'm very curious as to why my relations with them keeps changing. I don't know what would make the numbers go up or down, but it's peculiar that it's always changing.

[*]How does the Holy Avenger work in the hands of companions? Is the bonus damage based on the leader's Honor score, or the wielder's, which I presume to be permanently 0 for everyone else?

[*]I'm sure Warband must have some random factor and maybe even a constant value involved with the success rate of sneaking into an enemy city or castle, but not being a modder myself, I've no idea. As for this mod, does the Stealth skill have any affect on sneaking into enemy locations? If not, should it? I can see this going both ways. On the one hand, being stealthy and being good with disguises are not at all the same thing, and sneaking into an enemy's base definitely has more to do with the disguise department. But on the other hand, a roguish character typically is adept in both sides of remaining undetected. What do you think?
[/list]

An inquisitive sort! I appreciate like-minded invdividuals :razz: Let's get to the questions -

1.)Yes, some spells do have prerequisite power levels just as certain faith abilities or necromancy abilities have pre-reqs.

2.) I do not believe they can use the entertain skill. If there is any use for it on NPC's it would be a party morale buff like you mentioned. I'll have to do some testing to check how it works now - That or guspav can go into specifics on this.

3.) We do have equipment that can enhance magic! The items with "enhance magic" in their item description have certain affects on your magic power rating and damage. I would highly suggest reading over the Enhance Magic piece under this guide. It will detail how enhance magic items affect your spell power, and which items have higher magic increase ratings. Magical items are being added pretty often, but I am unsure about the plans for upcoming ones.

4.) Orcs can change mainly through the armor setup, and I do not know enough about the customization of races to know how possible it is. This would be a question for Guspav.

5.) There has been talks of dungeons/events ETC. I am anticipating some, but with such an open world to explore I'm interested in what kind of dungeons, events, or ruins we may find. To answer the question in a more direct sense: Yes, I believe these are planned for a later release.

6.) Good question: From my knowledge of the warband engine it seems that the armor value is a flat percentage or number - The weapon damage type then depends on what is ignored. Example: A sword hitting a helmetless head would get a bonus as it's considered under a certain armor threshold (say 20 armor value). If a blunt weapon hit the head it would still do a good bit of damage considering it hit the head, but number wise it would be doing less overall because it doesn't get a bonus to lower armor values - only higher ones by either ignoring a certain percentage or by getting an additive damage state. Piercing weapons would work on a similar basis - they would get a higher negation of armor bonuses when used. This is speculation based on a large amount of time with the engine, and it could possibly be wrong or only half right. So as to answer your question: I do not believe specific "resistances" could be made as the engine seems to use percentage based on armor values overall. Then again - Magic defense works in an interesting way versus magic spell damage.

7.) Oooo That would be fun! Head to the suggestions thread for that one :smile:

8.) This is more of a suggestion, I can't answer if something like this will be added, but I would be in favor of it!

9.) I could see these being a form of waypoint system. It would be an interesting way to get around and travel (albeit expensive). From a gameplay standpoint I'm not sure how it would affect the world. Being able to keep yourself available both on the war front and at home would make you logistically impossible to beat later in the game.

10.) Some of this stuff is in the work. Villagers, Elders, and ETC, are in the works from my knowledge. I'm not sure about being able to change the traveling villagers, but I don't see why it would not be possible. Maybe time consuming to get the Villages to send Village group X rather than the standard Village group Y. Some of the villages already have some of the villagers as the corresponding race, but having a village full of skeletons with a human elder does break immersion. It's being worked on though!

11.) I've never noticed this - When I'm back from my exams today I will check that. Is it all the NPC's or only a few?

12.) Great question! I am not sure. I would expect it's based on wielder.

13.) Another great question that I do not know. I'll send guspav a message to let him know about answering some of the questions I could not, but if the stealth skill does not currently affect sneaking into town it should :razz:.

Side note: I'm sorry some of my answers began tapering off, but I have to leave for classes soon. Several exams today, but when I am available I can try to answer some of the questions in more detail! I will send Guspav a message to check this thread as well to make sure and answer any that I am unable to.

Suminagashi said:

[list type=decimal]

[/list]

Oh, my! So such a big suggestion-question mix!
Thanks for taking care of it, Smurf!

OK, here goes:

1. Like Smurf said,  you can only learn spells (scribe scrolls) if you meet the magic power requirements. For instance Magic Missile and Shield will only require a single point,  but Chaos and Missile Storm will require at least 6.
That being said, the effectiveness of almost every spell is greater the greater your magic power skill. For example, you'll create more missiles with Missile Storm or Magic Missile, the higher your Magic Power level.

2.  The Entertain skill so far is only useful for the main character. I made it a party skill because I am planning that, at some point in a later version, you could have bard companions that could help you out with performances.

3. Ah yes, some other attribute and skill enhancing items will be available later.
As a matter of fact, I have already coded in for the next version a Thinking Cap (intelligence bonus), a Nymph Hair Headband (Charisma Bonus) and  Boots of Agility (guess), I only need suitable models and textures for them.

4. Orcs and Demons only have a single frame in their vertex animations. That means that you can't really change them via the sliders. I could start working on that, but it is a very long and tedious process with little impact in the game, so it is really very low priority. If someone with enough patience would like to give it a go, I'd be glad to accept their assistance.

5. Dungeons will be added in a later version. I still need to think of a way of making them interesting and challenging without making them a great coding feat. I suppose they could be similar to those amazing ones in the Light and Darkness mod (but with more monsters :razz:).

6. The engine limits damage reductions cause by weapons ( and the agent_deliver_damage_to_agent operation) to either cutting, blunt or piercing. Non weapon damage like the one magic causes is pretty straight forward and can easily be given reductions and enhancements. I am actually thinking on adding some resistances to some creatures... like demons being very resistant to fire. Sadly, I can't really control how weapon damage works without re-writing a whole new weapon damage model (and wrecking the vanilla one in the process), plus the AI only knows how to use the vanilla weapoon model, so say I made like in D&D, shadows immune to normal weapons, but vulnerable to silver or magical ones, then the AI would just attack with their best weapon, even if it did no damage.

7. That has a very good possibility of making it's way into the mod. It really isn't that hard to make a "spell" that causes blunt damage (basically a re-textured rock) that will have ammo depending on the Mages' magic power level.

8. I suppose it's possible and would be an interesting addition. I'll check how hard it is to code, though.
9. SHHH! Have you been peeking at my notes?? :grin:
10. Changing villagers shouldn't be too hard, I guess I'll get to it eventually.
11. Odd... They shouldn't change at all (I don't think I even initialized them). They won't actually do anything for gameplay, but maybe they could if I code in different reactions depending on the relationships.
12.  Currently, the Holy Avenger will use the main player's honor score for EVERYONE, so if you give it to a companion and that companion somehow ends up fighting against you and you are a honorable lich (weird scenario, I know), those Holy Avenger hits will hurt a lot :grin:
13. Currently the stealth skill doesn't affect the sneaking into town thingy, but it definitely should. A good rouge should be able to easily slip behind enemy lines. I'll modify the vanilla code that handles that for sure!

Thanks for taking the time to wade through all of that!

SmurfInHell said:
3.) We do have equipment that can enhance magic! The items with "enhance magic" in their item description have certain affects on your magic power rating and damage. I would highly suggest reading over the Enhance Magic piece under this guide. It will detail how enhance magic items affect your spell power, and which items have higher magic increase ratings. Magical items are being added pretty often, but I am unsure about the plans for upcoming ones.
I actually already knew about the Enhance Magic bit, as I mentioned with items that bolster Magic Power and Stealth. I was mostly wondering if any other skills might see something similar at some point. I suppose an alternative to equipment might be even more books as well, or perhaps artifacts that act in a similar fashion.

SmurfInHell said:
9.) I could see these being a form of waypoint system. It would be an interesting way to get around and travel (albeit expensive). From a gameplay standpoint I'm not sure how it would affect the world. Being able to keep yourself available both on the war front and at home would make you logistically impossible to beat later in the game.
Well I just remembered something. In D&D, you're limited on how much stuff/how many people you can teleport. So maybe teleportation wouldn't be possible at all in a more "realistic" sense, or perhaps the cost would be increased even further for every additional troop you have. It's probably an idea that won't really be viable enough to implement, but I was thinking that if it were imperfect (not 100% accurate teleportation), could only be used at certain places like how there's only a few Mage Guilds, and cost too much money to be used all the time, maybe it might be balanced enough to be seldom used. It might just be best to scrap the idea though since it's hard to find balance between being too good and not at all worth using.

SmurfInHell said:
10.) Some of this stuff is in the work. Villagers, Elders, and ETC, are in the works from my knowledge. I'm not sure about being able to change the traveling villagers, but I don't see why it would not be possible. Maybe time consuming to get the Villages to send Village group X rather than the standard Village group Y. Some of the villages already have some of the villagers as the corresponding race, but having a village full of skeletons with a human elder does break immersion. It's being worked on though!
I'm not 100% sure, but I think what that other mod did was replace the "Farmer" and "Peasant Woman" units within the "Village Farmers" parties with new units, such as "Elven Farmer" and "Elven Peasant Woman," or something along those lines. As you've said, some places already have the peasants replaced, as is easily noticeable when a village of drow throw a bunch of magic missiles at oppressive bandits. I don't know how different it is to populate a scene or area than it is to change the parties that spawn from them and traverse the map, however. Hopefully it's not too much of hassle to change this sort of thing.

SmurfInHell said:
11.) I've never noticed this - When I'm back from my exams today I will check that. Is it all the NPC's or only a few?
I should probably check again to verify, but I was under the impression that all of the NPCs in the inn shared the same relation value. I could be totally wrong in my observations. My relation with the inn NPCs might be 30 one time, then only 2 the next time I visit, going both up and down. I don't visit FWI very often, but I do conduct business there when I make it a point to enter it. I've bought plenty of magic items and deposited and withdrew large sums of money from the bank. I've never taken out a loan, mind. I don't know if my interactions are affecting the relations numbers or if it's something else entirely.

Thanks again!

[Edit: Oh, and thanks for your input as well guspav! Sneaky kitty is on the prowl! :wink: I really do appreciate all the answers.]

guspav said:
12.  Currently, the Holy Avenger will use the main player's honor score for EVERYONE, so if you give it to a companion and that companion somehow ends up fighting against you and you are a honorable lich (weird scenario, I know), those Holy Avenger hits will hurt a lot :grin:

I thought Holy Avenger was on a "your honor vs their honor" system, not just racial status like being undead...

Arctic_Howler said:
I thought Holy Avenger was on a "your honor vs their honor" system, not just racial status like being undead...

Maybe I'll set up a system based on that, but right now it is practically a racial thing.

swadianrox said:
Wonder where one gets a Necromancers staff

You can get it at the Four Ways Inn, you just need to be lucky enough so the drow merchant pulls it out of his bags of holding.

guspav said:
Maybe I'll set up a system based on that, but right now it is practically a racial thing.

I'd hope so, but at the same time, given the fact that morals are taught, not something you just know... one race might perceive one thing as evil while another perceives it as good, and given that undead forgo their free will for eternal life, they would be unaffected by the very weapon that was forged by paladins to combat them... I'd say probably go with a mixture, obviously undead are evil, perhaps not by their own standards, but per the Holy Avenger's true purpose they are... Where as with Orcs, nothing is "bad" except for cowardice...Humans are kind of a big mixing pot of morals so that would def need an honor system basis...and Drows, don't get me started on those little bastards...

I thought I'd point out a comical typo in the original post concerning the items that increase your Magic Power skill. One of the entries is:
"Master Robe & Roid Robe = 12"
Unfortunately, some mages have reported testicular shrinkage after using the robe for a period of time. :wink:

Suminagashi said:
I thought I'd point out a comical typo in the original post concerning the items that increase your Magic Power skill. One of the entries is:
"Master Robe & Roid Robe = 12"
Unfortunately, some mages have reported testicular shrinkage after using the robe for a period of time. :wink:

That's not a typo, It's an effect! I reference it as a feature.

Serious note: Fixed; Good catch :razz:

Ok so i just want the bit from diplomacy that makes it so you can talk to village elders from the village screen. (y'know like how you talk guildmasters in the town screens.) If anyone knows what files to copy or lines to add to x document or whatever. I'd appreciate a tutorial. Unfortunately i don't know how to go about doing all that or i would do it myself.

Skorm223 said:
Ok so i just want the bit from diplomacy that makes it so you can talk to village elders from the village screen. (y'know like how you talk guildmasters in the town screens.) If anyone knows what files to copy or lines to add to x document or whatever. I'd appreciate a tutorial. Unfortunately i don't know how to go about doing all that or i would do it myself.
That is already in the WIP version code. Let me see if I can find the txt code and add it to the sub patches section.

I got the spell book from the start of the game.  I saved up some very hard earn cash.  When i had enough I went and got missile storm.  Camp.  Take an action.  Copy scroll to spell book.  But there are no spell scroll to the window.  Now I have no cash to pay for my troops.  Most of them deserted me.  Need much help. 

Thanks.

talk2dhand120 said:
I got the spell book from the start of the game.  I saved up some very hard earn cash.  When i had enough I went and got missile storm.  Camp.  Take an action.  Copy scroll to spell book.  But there are no spell scroll to the window.  Now I have no cash to pay for my troops.  Most of them deserted me.  Need much help. 

Thanks.

You need at least a score of 6 in Magic Power to learn Missile Storm or Chaos.
Just hold on to the scroll and once you meet the requirements you should be able to learn the spell.
If you are tight in cash, you should go win a tournament or fight some of the special spawns to get good sell-able loot.

Thanks for the quick reply.  :grin:  Can you give me the requirements to learn each spell.  I think i will start over due to loose of troops.  Also what can i do to get golem?  Also can undead or devil units get along with living units? 

Thanks.

talk2dhand120 said:
Thanks for the quick reply.  :grin:  Can you give me the requirements to learn each spell.  I think i will start over due to loose of troops.  Also what can i do to get golem?  Also can undead or devil units get along with living units? 

Thanks.
guspav said:
talk2dhand120 said:

Thanks.

You need at least a score of 6 in Magic Power to learn Missile Storm or Chaos.
Just hold on to the scroll and once you meet the requirements you should be able to learn the spell.
If you are tight in cash, you should go win a tournament or fight some of the special spawns to get good sell-able loot.

How can look for like greedy dwarf?  Everytime i get there.  They be long gone. 

Skorm223 said:

Seconded, this has been my only complaint about the mod so far - I don't even mind if I have to visit the elder first manually like some mods do it.  Very glad to hear this is already in :smile:

Xzayler said:
Do companions still get along with each other?

If you're talking about 0.723 then yes, companions do not fight with each other.

If you're talking about the upcoming patch, then I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom