Starsector 0.9

Users who are viewing this thread

Starsector 0.7 is out :party:.

Edit:
Expanded battles – come to the aid of beleaguered allies, or be swarmed by enemies
Campaign terrain – nebulas, stellar coronas, hyperspace storms, and more
Sensors – play cat and mouse games with enemy fleets or patrols seeking to ruin your smuggling run
Abilities – “go dark” to hide in a ring system, or use “emergency burn” to chase down a pirate
Combat officers – hire and level up officers to power up the ships you assign them to
Campaign missions to take on for profit
Faction and reputation-specific music
Six new star systems, five new ships, and three new weapons

A lot has changed for this game since 3 years ago. The main dev saves up all the changes into big updates and releases them rather than doing so bit by bit. The modding community is very lively as well.

Yes, I haven't played it in, jeez let's just say a while, and the new version is pretty great so I have high hopes for 0.8. He says wants a Steam release soon too, the modding scene is gonna explode then.

Several new features and improving existing ones: exploration, planetary surveys, salvage, improved ship recovery and procedural generation of outer worlds is going to add new layer to the game.

Skill tree also gets revamped and balanced with industry skill now functional (tho not in final version with player economy yet), new faction, orbital station combat, + stuff.

It's going to be substantial update, it's over year from last one already.

Starsectors main page has feature list.

Mainly starting with humble beginnings and building up to larger fleet. There is large sector map which consists many star systems where different factions fight for power, it's possible also act as bounty hunter, join faction to participate larger wars. Trade system works in way that there is demand at somewhere in sector depending if trade fleets gets destroyed or some other crisis, and you'll get message to news when that happens, especially if you have hacked communication consoles which are usually in system.

There is base production and demand in systems, but it's probably best to wait crisis situations and cash big, especially because thariffs make honest merchant job expensive, which is why I usually find myself smuggling goods (transponders off and going dark then selling stuff to black market), which is sometimes risky if there is defending fleet patrolling, and it can destabilize markets. (which creates opportunities) So game attempts to simulate active market system.

All that is of course excuse to get larger fleet and get into larger battles, since that's real strength of the game, excellent space combat system, but it's expensive keep big fleets, so economy side works fairly well too. Traveling system to system bounty hunting gives that nice "in the vast space" feeling. Intercepting and looting trade fleets lets you bypass the "buying part" of trading :razz:

It's very much like this forum's flagship. It's essentially Mount & Blade with spaceships, although I'd in both combat and metagame that Starfarer is more developed than vanilla Warband. It's also very much like M&B in that the game is extensively moddable and has a good community for it.

The game I've been doing is working as a Bounty Hunter for the largest faction albeit lacking in the technology sector, the Hegemony, while also making a habit of turning off my transponder (basically throwing your real flags in the hold to fly the jolly roger, although even the pirates are their own full faction) to pirate pirates, legitimate traders, other smugglers and so on. If cash gets tight while I'm buying new high tech frigates, as I've decided I want a very fast little attack force of very expensive little ships, I buy harvested organs and small arms from pirates and planets with organized crime to sell on the black market on stable planets. This ruins the economy and causes lots of incidents and opportunities for my piracy and bounty hunting.

At the moment I don't think AI captures planets, enemy fleets can cripple their opponent economy and defenses. If there is crisis because of no food or supplies get in system, faction (and maybe neutrals too) send big relief fleets from other systems to stabilize planets. This keeps the war up and gives player evergoing wartorn playground to act.

In home systems AI fleets are strong and don't get steam rolled AFAIK, there are several contested systems in which one side can dominate if battle goes to their favor. Plenty of battles actually happen in hyperspace, which is big sector map where you travel from system to system. There you can join either faction battles or pirate battles, which tend to be huge, and player definitely can affect outcome in those, especially if flying with larger fleet (with small strike force too).

In larger strategic scale game is still somewhat static, as planets don't change ownership, that might change in future when industry and production comes in action, not entirely sure how dev is planned that. There has been mods which simulate whole dynamic faction war where factions get conquered, and probably will be in future too, since dev sees lots of trouble giving updated modding tools with every release.

Austyboo ^_^ said:
The game I've been doing is working as a Bounty Hunter for the largest faction albeit lacking in the technology sector, the Hegemony, while also making a habit of turning off my transponder (basically throwing your real flags in the hold to fly the jolly roger, although even the pirates are their own full faction) to pirate pirates, legitimate traders, other smugglers and so on. If cash gets tight while I'm buying new high tech frigates, as I've decided I want a very fast little attack force of very expensive little ships, I buy harvested organs and small arms from pirates and planets with organized crime to sell on the black market on stable planets. This ruins the economy and causes lots of incidents and opportunities for my piracy and bounty hunting.

In my latest game which I started recently after reading those blog posts, I have been flying with frigate strike force too, with some fast frigate cargo ships to carry loot and supplies. I occasionally glance larger ship, but I'm not sure do I need them and don't want to compromise map speed. They would be slower in battles too, frigates can easily maneuver behind larger ships. I accepted hegemony military commission too since they seem to have good amount of enemies and got naturally rep points with them at beginning while fighting in their systems. If I have encountered some neutral cargo fleets alone, I have ambushed them while flying dark, reputation penalty is fairly small when they can only guess their adversary and loot can be huge, made over 100k with some looted heavy equipments (selling to high demand system), fuel fleets are also profitable.

You get reputation penalty still while doing piracy even when dark mode, but since I also tend to do pirate bounties, it keeps reputation somewhat neutral, so it's possible to loot few neutral trade fleets every now and then.

I actually started at beginning with friends with pirate boss start, but since pirate bounties were just so tempting, ruined my reputation with them. Since they can't offer very much benefits in first place, why side with those weaklings when there are bigger profits to be made elsewhere, and it doesn't take pirate license to do smuggling anyway.  (although at some point I really should do pure pirate gameplay, that would probably be quite difficult)

I tried to do the dual pirate/hegemony play myself, but yeah, siding with the pirates is difficult, thankless and fickle. Realistic, I suppose. :lol:

You could in an older version but that does seem to be the case now. Not sure when that'll come back, as Theo said some mods have done that and toyed with more faction warfare.

Back
Top Bottom