Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Users who are viewing this thread

Maybe the scene where Luke buttplugs the death star and the bombs appear to arc into the hole. The Death Star is nowhere near large enough to generate gravity, but I guess there's a precedent in that there's earth-like gravity inside it.

BUT THEN AGAIN, the gravity on the death star appears to be vertical because the millennial falcon goes into a loading bay on the equatorial axis, and everyone walks out like it's fine. So that doesn't make sense.

BUT THEN AGAIN, during the death star attack in the same film, the rebels attack a trench which is between the equator and the polar area (see video). If the gravity was vertical this area would be at an awkward angle of sorts. But the turbolasers on the surface of the death star are manned as if the gravity is perpendicular to the surface, like a real planet.

BUT THEN AGAIN a super star destroyer falls directly towards the second death star despite the actual planet being off to the side of the battle in most shots.

BUT THEN AGAIN Luke and the emperor are somewhere near an equator hangar bay watching the battle from below (((???))) and the gravity is vertical again.

Safe to say, the gravity in star wars is entirely camera-dependent.

Luke uses proton torpedos that are not iron bombs and there is the Force involved

There is no point in pointing out the artificial gravity inside spacecrafts as it is something that would break neck of pretty much every space flick bar a very few exceptions  :grin:

The SSD crashing into death star is because spacecrafts in SW are in fact airplanes and when damaged seem to lose lift and altitude. Apart from the Executor, the Invisible Hand in III is the most glaring example of this treatment

The Force wasn't part of their plan, though, how did they originally expect their torpedoes to make that 90 degree turn into the pool pocket?

Everybody in the Star Wars universe has access to the force. Telekinetic Force powers are a well established rebel alliance military tactic which didn't need to be explained to Luke or anybody else. Ben Kenobi was just trying to make Luke part of his weird desert cult by implying that Luke was special, but then he died. The films from episode V onwards are Luke's death dream in a similar vein to the end of Taxi Driver, as he was killed when the death star exploded.

If you applied hard scifi rules to any space action film you'd run into the same sort of inconsistencies. It's okay, films rarely demand the same amount of attention as books or series's's, especially not genre mashups from the 70s, but after 1977 the priorities of the series kept changing and the internal logic kept jumping around.

star wars is badly written, the Expanded Universe is way better than the canonical one; I didn't watch the movie, but I saw an interview of Hamil being shocked and displeased with what they did with his character. I don't like it either I think they could have done something better with it.

As bad as it is, I am starting to prefer the prequels over the sequels

Back
Top Bottom