Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Users who are viewing this thread

Which doesn't really give the full details of just how bad a death it is. He Force-projects his image to fight Kylo Ren remotely to spook him, then after it's done, he keels over and dies back at home.

Cordor said:
star wars is badly written, the Expanded Universe is way better than the canonical one; I didn't watch the movie, but I saw an interview of Hamil being shocked and displeased with what they did with his character. I don't like it either I think they could have done something better with it.

As bad as it is, I am starting to prefer the prequels over the sequels
This must be the epitome of a pretentious dickbag behaviour, not having even seen the movie. EU was 99% **** and 1% mediocrity. "But mah Thrawn trilogy" yeah, that was the mediocrity part and everything else was ****. Getting rid of the EU was the only sensible thing Disney could do. Hamill was "shocked and displeased" because he expected to have a role to play in TFA, which he didn't, and then Old Luke in TLJ was not what he was expecting - but if you had actually watched the full interviews instead of just some clickbait Youtube "shock"-video, you'd have learned the full story, ie one where he grew to embrace Rian Johnson's vision. He performed well in TLJ and definitely wasn't phoning it in. Check his IMDB - he hasn't acted in films since the 80s, he's only done cameos and voice work. Yet he succeed well in portraying an old and jaded Luke, who has been ground down by his failure, but who at the end learns from that mistake and sacrifices himself so that the next generation gets one more chance.

I'm not surprised by the rabid reaction of many fans as TLJ really pushes Star Wars to a place where it hasn't been before. Lucas was always about prophecies and the Chosen One - Johnson threw all that away the way he unloaded lot of baggage. People complained that TFA was too similar, now they complain that TLJ is too different. Rey isn't a Chosen One of some exalted parentage, she's a nobody. Years of fan theories down the drain, boo-hoo.

There's a bunch of stupid **** in the movie and plenty of valid criticism to be leveled against it but the fan accusations of "Rian Johson destroyed Star Wars" are just ridiculous:
Wikipedia said:
As of January 1, 2018, Star Wars: The Last Jedi has grossed $533.1 million in the United States and Canada, and $523.3 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $1.056 billion.

Sofia Johanna Jeanette Munsterhjelm von Platen said:
EU was 99% **** and 1% mediocrity. "But mah Thrawn trilogy" yeah, that was the mediocrity part and everything else was ****.
INaMl.gif

EU was 99% **** and 1% mediocrity. "But mah Thrawn trilogy" yeah, that was the mediocrity part and everything else was ****.
The D6 RPG supplement books, like the Galaxy Guide series, are pretty ****ing awesome. You are being unjust here.

Games like KotOR I/II and TIE Fighter/X-wing Alliance handled the universe with more seriousness than George Lucas did, the latter portraying it as war instead of adventure (something that people applauded Rogue One for). Thrawn trilogy and duology were good, but I haven't read them since I was 15ish. They might have become rather quaint in hindsight.

In my mind there were few other ways to handle a character like Luke - he has to tread the thin line between being an actively bad guy (capable of helping, but not willing) or being less capable than everyone wants him to be (willing, but not capable), indirectly making the claim that Kylo/Snoke is stronger than Vader/Sidious were. Instead they had to make him believe he wasn't capable, and thus making him unwilling. Hamill's performance was his best of the series.

Hamill was "shocked and displeased" because he expected to have a role to play in TFA, which he didn't, and then Old Luke in TLJ was not what he was expecting - but if you had actually watched the full interviews instead of just some clickbait Youtube "shock"-video, you'd have learned the full story, ie one where he grew to embrace Rian Johnson's vision.

His "i was wrong" tweet looks like a soviet style confession. He's an actor in a film under contract and almost every blockbuster actor is expected to lie through their teeth to the press.

Rian Johnson is allowed to do whatever he wants with Star Wars because canon is a social construct, but at the same time when a film is banking so much on nostalgia, you can't expect even casual fans to take it well when you completely change the themes and tone, and change 40 year old characters into dour old sods.

Why children are wannabe Resistance fighters at the end of the movie? Makes no sense. Not only Resistance is underdog but also Resistance is lead by old people. First Order leaders are very young, aren't Kylo Ren and Hux spoiled kids? Children should dream about First Order.

Cordor said:
star wars is badly written, the Expanded Universe is way better than the canonical one; I didn't watch the movie, but I saw an interview of Hamil being shocked and displeased with what they did with his character. I don't like it either I think they could have done something better with it.

As bad as it is, I am starting to prefer the prequels over the sequels
This must be the epitome of a pretentious dickbag behaviour, not having even seen the movie. EU was 99% **** and 1% mediocrity. "But mah Thrawn trilogy" yeah, that was the mediocrity part and everything else was ****. Getting rid of the EU was the only sensible thing Disney could do..

hey i really liked the republic commando novels. But sadly that story was taken out of canon years earlier by the clone wars tv show and not disney...

Bromden said:
The D6 RPG supplement books, like the Galaxy Guide series, are pretty ****ing awesome. You are being unjust here.
Doctor Dingleberry said:
Games like KotOR I/II and TIE Fighter/X-wing Alliance handled the universe with more seriousness than George Lucas did, the latter portraying it as war instead of adventure (something that people applauded Rogue One for). Thrawn trilogy and duology were good, but I haven't read them since I was 15ish. They might have become rather quaint in hindsight.
A good point there, I was mostly talking about the EU novels that are largely generic trash that pulp-authors churn out for any and all licenced franchise. Dude writes a novel for WH40K in January, for Star Wars in February, for Battle Tech in March and for Dungeons & Dragons in April - is not a formula to evoke trust in literary greatness nor intimate knowledge of the lore. Most of that stuff is blatant fan service for fanboys and -girls anyway. KotOR I was the usual Bioware stuff, whereas the greatness in KotOR II comes from Avellone turning the black-white duality of SW on its head. The X-Wing and Tie Fighter games were great in that I agree they successfully portrayed Star Wars as an actual war, instead of wish fulfilment power fantasy (anything with Kyle Katarn in it). I don't know about the RPG books (I think there have been 3 different versions) but obviously they have to take things more seriously, if only to make it playable on tabletop.

You can see the recycling and lack of ideas in the EU books, in how the remnants of the Empire come up with half a dozen new superweapons and Palpatine gets cloned and everyone is connected to everyone else. The first really novel idea in the EU was the extra-galactic invasion but even that had to be watered down. So my point stands - the only sane thing for Disney was to jettison the ****ty EU completely and start fresh.

vota dc said:
Why children are wannabe Resistance fighters at the end of the movie? Makes no sense. Not only Resistance is underdog but also Resistance is lead by old people. First Order leaders are very young, aren't Kylo Ren and Hux spoiled kids? Children should dream about First Order.
What? This makes no sense at all.

Back
Top Bottom