Star Citizen (Wing Commander MP successor)

Users who are viewing this thread

Sir Prince

Formerly Reformed Spammer
Count
Trailer!

One hour recording of the (formerly) live GDC Panel & gameplay footage.

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

TheVerge article

Star Citizen is a modern successor to games like Wing Commander, Privateer and Freelancer featuing an extensive open ended universe, dynamic economy and so on using CryEngine 3. From what I can tell it is going to be an MMO space sim sort of like EVE Online but without a subscription fee (like Guild Wars). It has a flight model and physics simulation so you will actually be flying your ship around and there is a huge amount of detail for individual parts of the ship (ie maneuvering jets/thrusters, multiple interactive objects in the cockpit) and character models (possible more than enough detail, but it seems they will be selling a lot of cosmetic items, also you can walk around in a station and look out and wave to someone flying by and they will see you).

The game is already privately funded, but there is a $2-4 million crowdfunding goal with lots of pretty cool pre-order options on their website.

I'm more than a little hesitant about it being an MMO, I'd vastly prefer a modifiable SP game with a separate MP mode but it does sound really cool. Hopefully it will be nowhere near as intensive as EVE Online is with the game being dominated by people (or groups with enough people) who can spend all their time playing it to the detriment of those who cannot or will not.

EDIT: At least, I don't think it has SP. The MP is not planned to have hundreds or thousands of players in the same place, most battles will be instanced or something more on the scale of Battlefield or World of Tanks apparently.

EDIT2:
PCGamer article with a lot more information.

- Game is going to be a persistent open world but battles will be instanced with the goal of having 60-100 players in them.
- Large enough ships can have multiple players on board (ie manning turrets).
- Support for private servers and modding private servers.
- Singleplayer (with optional co-op) campaign will be a spiritual successor to Wing Commander featuring the fall of a galactic Roman-esque empire.
- EVA activities ("spacewalking").
- Crowdfunding is to show his investors there is indeed interest in the game. When the crowdfunding goals are reached he will get their full funding.
- Chris Roberts seems extremely dedicated to this game.
- No specific details on microtransactions yet.

If anyone is worried about it, Chris Roberts, the creator of Wing Commander, is the one who is making the game.

What the ****. I hate ****ing pay to win ****ing games. What a ****bag. Whole ****ing game ruined by announcing paid upgrades and ****. What a waste of potential.

Roberts says he plans to make money through virtual item sales and through potential expansion packs. He also said he hopes to allow players to create their own items, which they can sell themselves, with the developer taking a percentage of the sale.

And from PC gamer

Regarding scope, Roberts says that a player with enough wealth (earned in-game or purchased with microtransactions) will be able to buy a ship big enough to house his friends’ fighters, or have mannable turrets for them.

The Verge article mentions nothing about cosmetic purchases at all.

Let me clarify before you make another demeaning post:

I have plenty of money to buy my way to success in games like that. I think it is reprehensible to do this in a game, and it takes away the fun of the game. Every decision becomes a purchase decision, and frankly, it's not worth $500 or whatever the going rate is for success to be the best at a game.

@Scully: Yes.

PCGamer article with a lot more information.

- Game is going to be a persistent open world but battles will be instanced with the goal of having 60-100 players in them.
- Large enough ships can have multiple players on board (ie manning turrets).
- Support for private servers and modding private servers.
- Singleplayer (with optional co-op) campaign will be a spiritual successor to Wing Commander featuring the fall of a galactic Roman-esque empire.
- EVA activities ("spacewalking").
- Crowdfunding is to show his investors there is indeed interest in the game. When the crowdfunding goals are reached he will get their full funding.
- Chris Roberts seems extremely dedicated to this game.
- No specific details on microtransactions yet.

Fehnor said:
What the ****. I hate ****ing pay to win ****ing games. What a ****bag. Whole ****ing game ruined by announcing paid upgrades and ****. What a waste of potential.
People trying to make money?

Jesus what world we live in these days!
:neutral:

It's not people trying to make money, It's people being stupid ****s.

Mr. Roberts is one of the folk in the gaming history who still has my confidence. As such, I'm looking forward to this.
Also, I'm a sucker for a good space sim, so I don't have too much choice in the matter, heh.

Fehnor said:
Roberts says he plans to make money through virtual item sales and through potential expansion packs. He also said he hopes to allow players to create their own items, which they can sell themselves, with the developer taking a percentage of the sale.

And from PC gamer

Regarding scope, Roberts says that a player with enough wealth (earned in-game or purchased with microtransactions) will be able to buy a ship big enough to house his friends’ fighters, or have mannable turrets for them.

The Verge article mentions nothing about cosmetic purchases at all.

Let me clarify before you make another demeaning post:

I have plenty of money to buy my way to success in games like that. I think it is reprehensible to do this in a game, and it takes away the fun of the game. Every decision becomes a purchase decision, and frankly, it's not worth $500 or whatever the going rate is for success to be the best at a game.

I was pretty excited for this game, but this...This just seems weird. Hoping for more details. Then again, I suppose I can understand including micro-transactions. Space ships arent probably something you grind for over weekend and just buy one. :razz:

So far the only way of directly purchasing a space ship are the pre-order packages. I will honestly be surprised if you can purchase anything but a starter ship for a "reasonable" amount of money. Still though the transactions and private servers.mods may make or break it for me.

Back
Top Bottom