SP - UI Standardize Item Sizes & Characteristics | Make Them Recognizable

Users who are viewing this thread

Lusitani 5th Empire

Different items have the same image in the inventory and others are very similar, I would suggest making them different, more easy to recognize by just by the image.
  • E.g.: Wine and oil; olives, dates and beer; cheese and butter...
I suggest a more well thought and complete item size standardization. One where size varies according to Item categories (weapons, food...) and sub categories (spear, lance, sword...).
  • Also, considering real world relative sizes of items (length) (e.g.: bigger weapon = bigger item representation);
  • Expected real world quantity vs price vs item size or number of items per image;
  • Give more relevance to the part of the item which makes it more recognizable/differentiable (blade, handle, different color between similar items...) (e.g.: show the color of wine and oil or change the shape and color of the pottery);
  • Consider item position, orientation, rotation and direction (images with multiple items don't need to have all the same orientation... e.g.: you could put the one item showing overall length and other a differentiation factor, like blade shape).;
  • Combine different items (or similar for of them), to better represent other item, E.g.: wine
    408114b4b74f1e44a7f993ee546e2365.jpg
    118956946-ancient-greek-god-dionysus-.jpg
    ;
  • Relative item sizes between (sub)categories (e.g.: iron bar is the size of a horse, I would suggest an image of a pile of 3 bar in a pyramid shape
    pyramid-of-200g-gold-bars-9999-pure-gold-R71821.jpg
    , 2 side by side
    images
    or just reduce the size a bit;
  • Some items are too small (e.g.: fish, butter and cheese...) again, you could add more items or increase the size
    Bangus-Fish-Fillet-Recipe-Milkfish.jpg
    ;
  • The item image should make good use of the size of the rectangle box;
  • Consider changing the background color of the item (of the rectangle box), maybe even remove/change the vignette effect, darker parts of items do not give good contrast, consider tweaking item colors/lightening to give good contrast to the background or vice-versa;
  • Sharper and more realistic item images are welcome.
I will leave this here as well, I think a similar design could be implemented as optional or at least it gives some inspiration.

34ze9mv9obl61.png

The reason these items share the same item thumbnail is, they use the same mesh for 3D world representation. Meaning if there is a "Dates" item or an "Olives" item in a settlement mission, they would have the barrel mesh.

We can certainly implement a new way to show these items differently but I'm currently not sure if it's worth the effort.

For the other items, some of them I agree, like for some items we should use more of the rectangle space we have for thumbnails and the fact that some item thumbnails are too small.

But for some, I have to disagree. Like bigger weapon-bigger representation(imo contradicts #3), Expected real world quantity....(coz we need to cache the images).

For the mod itself, I've seen that mod before, and my personal opinions is that, I don't like it. It makes comparing items difficult, hides the item modifier knowledge behind tooltip etc.

Last edited:
The reason these items share the same item thumbnail is, they use the same mesh for 3D world representation. Meaning if there is a "Dates" item or an "Olives" item in a settlement mission, they would have the barrel mesh.

We can certainly implement a new way to show these items differently but I'm currently not sure if it's worth the effort.

For the other items, some of them I agree, like for some items we should use more of the rectangle space we have for thumbnails and the fact that some item thumbnails are too small.

But for some, I have to disagree. Like bigger weapon-bigger representation(imo contradicts #3), Expected real world quantity....(coz we need to cache the images).

For the mod itself, I've seen that mode before, and my personal opinions is that, I don't like it. It makes comparing items difficult, hides the item modifier knowledge behind tooltip etc.
For bigger weapon-bigger representation thing dont like it eighter BUT the other things like item showcase i would love them to eah have the representation bcs one of the reasons why we were able to ealsy navigate and see what we are buying in Warband was due to portrait/image representation of each item from different swords,shields up to food/goods.
Also apart from better navigation throu the inventory what those different accurate potrraits/images representation brout is more immersiveness and also feel that the game was done with utmost care,dedication and love bcs even so to say irreelevant miniscule items each had their own uniqe representation in the world from the round loaf of bread up to the dates.It served some purposes in terms of immersion,roleplay HECKE i even watched sore roleplay series in the past where the whole story was revolved around the food/goods and roleplayer using IN GAME art of the food/goods without needing t personaly go around the interne dand do post edit putting fanart of things bcs TW done it with upmost care and dedication and TW may thing those things serve nothing but waste time adn for otehr players who only care about hype stuff but therea re people who apritiate those smaller things.Sometimes smaller stuff can have much bigger impact than some features itself (not saying that representation of the differet food carries the same weight or enough of big weight but suprisingly even those small things count).
Also in my oppinion i think things like food should have a little git closer/bigger close up pictures bcs they are way to small (maybe i juts going blind ) but to me i personaly prefered Warband style of representation of objects/items but like Bannerlords way of easy apraoch so if it was up to me i would take Warbands way of representing items and would mix it up with bannrlord easy way of managing the inventory basicalyu i would blend those two in one.

Any developments on this (at least)? I think this necessary.

Back
Top Bottom