Stances with toggle key (interest poll)

Would it be interesting for you to have an toggle key button to control the stances?

• Yes, movement control by user is essential

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • No, I prefer to have it automatically as it is now

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • I'm not at all interested in stances

Votes: 42 50.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Footwork in inverse is naturally the opposite to that of normal, im always moving right and doing a left swing, that's just the natural way of going about it whilst playing inverse,

No, that's just the fastest way of attacking which both inverse and non-inverse do.

People who use normal attack direction, usually take a couple of steps the direction they want to swing (you'd move slightly left to ready the left swing and then move right or whatever),

No they do not. If they were using movement keys for attack then yes, but this is in the minority.

The third option is beginning to stand out clearly.

WelldocumentedThoughtfulEider-size_restricted.gif

Can someone give me an explanation about stances or tell me where I can find info? Because this game just doesnt tell you anything about how it works yet it changes everything when you try to fight in MP

The dead game Of Kings And Men has a lock button to lock the stance. The stance freely controlled by mouse, plus a lock button.
I think it did a way better combat mechanism than BL does.
The only reason it died is sponsor disappeared.

Can someone give me an explanation about stances or tell me where I can find info? Because this game just doesnt tell you anything about how it works yet it changes everything when you try to fight in MP

Hold the button A -> Move left -> your character will be facing left; Swing faster from the right; Block slower to the right;
Vice Versa.

Holding the attack or block button (rmb or lmb) will lock the stance. However, when you try to do feinting, it will be released and follow your footwork as usual.

The dead game Of Kings And Men has a lock button to lock the stance. The stance freely controlled by mouse, plus a lock button.
I think it did a way better combat mechanism than BL does.
The only reason it died is sponsor disappeared.

Okay, I've never played Of king and Men; however I looked up this thing you said about "blocking stance".

I think there's some confusion here. This thing that's shown on the video are guards not the kind of "stance" I'm talking about.

Could someone else be confusing the "stances" with the guards?

Let's see, when I say to apply a toggle button to block the stance is to block the footwork. If any of you think about skateboarding, snowboarding, wakeboarding...etc; here I am talking only and exclusively about goofy or regular stance.

infografia-regular-o-goofy

Left stance block (regular): free movement with dominant left foot forward as we had in warband

1h-2h-polearm1h+shield

Right stance block (goofy): free movement with dominant right foot forward (reverse mode)

Here we see different stances with different guards (on top- same guard different "stance" / bottom- different guard and diferent "stance"). The one on the left is in the "regular" stance (which it can reverse to goofy at any time) and the one on the right is in the "goofy" stance (which it can reverse to regular at any time).

365c7fcd81901379c4927856e4e77036.jpg

Additional animations
Right foot dominantRight foot dominantLeft foot dominantLeft foot dominant

Last edited:
Okay, I've never played Of king and Men; however I looked up this thing you said about "blocking stance".

I think there's some confusion here. This thing that's shown on the video are guards not the kind of "stance" I'm talking about.

Could someone else be confusing the "stances" with the guards?

Let's see, when I say to apply a toggle button to block the stance is to block the footwork. If any of you think about skateboarding, snowboarding, wakeboarding...etc; here I am talking only and exclusively about goofy or regular stance.

infografia-regular-o-goofy

Left stance block (regular): free movement with dominant left foot forward as we had in warband

1h-2h-polearm1h+shield

Right stance block (goofy): free movement with dominant right foot forward (reverse mode)

Here we see different stances with different guards (on top- same guard different "stance" / bottom- different guard and diferent "stance"). The one on the left is in the "regular" stance (which it can reverse to goofy at any time) and the one on the right is in the "goofy" stance (which it can reverse to regular at any time).

365c7fcd81901379c4927856e4e77036.jpg

Additional animations
Right foot dominantRight foot dominantLeft foot dominantLeft foot dominant

Thank you. I see. It was guards, not stance.
We can still learn something from it.
I totally understand why OKAM's devs make the guards' control free and provide a lock button. (instead of lock the guards and provide a release button)
In a mass battle, people mostly run around, backstab. They don't need to lock the guard in this case.
Occasionally they stop and fight. That is the moment people need a lock button to switch guards.

More buttons is bad. Stance and block delay are horrible for noobs who don't understand, horrible for casual gamers, and horrible in group melees.

I say save it for the Duel Server so try hards can get fancy, and let everyone else just have fun.

Last edited:
My own opinion that it should be bindable to its own key is changing. I still think it would be better to have the option so that it can be a matter of taste but having it work automatically the way it is now is not prohibitively difficult to learn.

Personally, I'd love it if stances were to a bound to a key and altered the way in which your weapon is used rather than how it is implemented currently to just swing and such a bit faster.

For instance like you would with a Bastard sword or 2h Axe, but for pretty much all weapons. Like with a spear you choke up the grip so you can use it better in close quarters and such. I realize that adding things like that at this stage is not really feasible and it's a shame as it would have made combat more in depth I think.

Back
Top Bottom