Stance Swing Speed Comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Reapy

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Just for my own learning I did a short video using right swing in different stances and though it might be useful to share.

I was in SP while testing so that might affect it a bit, and getting the right frames lined up for the attack was hard as well. If you want to skip watching it, the results were basically:

• From neutral, right stance + right swing is faster than left stance + right swing.
  • Comboing from same stance seems faster than reswinging with no combo.
  • You keep your stance if defending and changing defend directions.
  • If you hold an attack, your stance stays.
  • If you change swing directions at all you'll change stances to the way you are going.

Just for my own learning I did a short video using right swing in different stances and though it might be useful to share.

I was in SP while testing so that might affect it a bit, and getting the right frames lined up for the attack was hard as well. If you want to skip watching it, the results were basically:

• From neutral, right stance + right swing is faster than left stance + right swing.
  • Comboing from same stance seems faster than reswinging with no combo.
  • You keep your stance if defending and changing defend directions.
  • If you hold an attack, your stance stays.
  • If you change swing directions at all you'll change stances to the way you are going.

Reminds me of your old chambering video :xf-wink:. Thanks for the quality addition!

The worst part is with the actual swings themselves. Having a right stance makes the left attack as fast as the right attack in the same stance, when the left attack SHOULD be faster in a right stance than the right attack. Changing to a left stance makes the left attack slower than the right attack, for some unknown reason.

This is a GIF I got during the beta with the help of @Gab and @MisterOutofTime.

0P4Qpfc.gif

I'm still bamboozled as to why this happens. I don't know why the left attack is slower or the same speed as the right attack.

I've also made a thread in the balancing issues section regarding the hold of attacks and blocks (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...ting-blocking-attack-holding-movement.403087/), but I'm glad your findings reinforce my findings also. Something has to be done about it, it's just so inconsistent and disgustingly broken.

Ooh, lot of good info there. It's a bit wonky all of it. There's a part of me that likes the idea of all this physics going on to vary things up, however they don't often make sense or really give you anything but feeling awkward.

I really like the IDEA of fluid stances you move into, however they probably need a big rethink on how we move into them and what they give and take away from us.

It's too nuanced to implement something like this without better feedback to the player on what stance you're in and how that affects your swings. I feel like they're trying to do too much with the combat without focusing enough on how fun it is to try and watch out for all these things in a game where you routinely clash in 3+ man scrums.

Great information, Seems very difficult to keep track of such things for first-person players tho. Also very... awkward to handle. Not sure if I like it.

A great example why elements of realism can sometimes do more harm than good in games. This is something TaleWorlds need to understand.

It depends on the distance the weapon has to travel, which in turn is dictated by which stance you are in.

According to the tests I've done, it's the same timing to reach the same point (the middle, where an opponent, for example, would be). Right swing is also a safer bet in 100% of the cases, since it never goes slower in any of the stances and it's easier to outreach with, in comparison to the left swing, which is 100 milliseconds slower than the right swing while being in a left stance.

I still believe the right swing should be for reach (so, slower than left but give better reach) and the left swing should be for speed (slightly faster but shorter than the right swing).

Back
Top Bottom