Stamina, exhaustion and walk mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Heskeytime

Regular
I havent seen a thread on this already, my apologies if i've missed one.

Basically, i like the stamina system in singleplayer with heavier armour, but i find that of course you're at maximum exhaustion long before you meet the enemy in most battles unless you camp. This is problematic in sieges where you can only walk and do half damage by the time you get to the ladders, and noone wants to sit panting at the foot of the ladders to regain their energy whilst their troops are being slaughtered.

Is there a 'walk' option you can toggle before you're exhausted? That way you move at slow speed but dont exhaust yourself. It'd be a good way to reach the enemy without running for no reason and tiring yourself out. Walking is clearly in the game since it forces you to do that when you're tired enough. If it's not already something you can toggle to conserve energy it might be a nice feature to add.

Besides the walk/run toggle:

you can use a lighter armour on assaults. And your heavy armour when you have a horse or you are defending.

kalarhan said:

you can use a lighter armour on assaults. And your heavy armour when you have a horse or you are defending.

Going light armour makes sense to avoid exhaustion, but feels a little gamey to do that for certain scenarios. Also sieges with full player-damage from bots are pretty tough to survive in light armour when you got a couple of hundred bots crowding the ladders trying to stop you moving.

Run/walk toggle is all i ask, pretty please. Also it'd look awesome in multiplayer to have a shieldwall toggle 'walk' and advance until they're within attack distance, plus the singleplayer advantage of reserving your stamina for the actual fighting speaks for itself. They could even likely do it so that whilst it's toggled you do half damage to make it only viable for moving across the battlefield but not in combat itself, basically have the 'walk' button be more like triggering the exhaustion mechanic until you've reached your enemy.

Try holding shift.  That is a walk (not toggle) but I do not get why the only way to walk is to sacrifice your field of view...  This is a good suggestion.  Plus, I would /rpwalk around town always.

Beorhtnoth said:
Try holding shift.  That is a walk (not toggle) but I do not get why the only way to walk is to sacrifice your field of view...  This is a good suggestion.  Plus, I would /rpwalk around town always.

Oh, the zoom button makes you walk? I didn't know this, might be interesting to test it in armour and see if exhaustion happens.

And yeah, walking in games is always fun as an option, but i've never seen a game before where the existing mechanics could benefit from it so much.

Beorhtnoth said:

Shift to walk is hardcoded but you can remap your zoom, IIRC. Or vice versa, I can't remember.

You're totally right there should be walk/run, probably walk by default and hold a key to run/sprint/charge, and shield bash too (that can eat a good part of stamina) ! The stamina system is pretty good but need improvements.

Heskeytime said:
kalarhan said:

but feels a little gamey

In books of the era (literature) it is not uncommon for the hero to choose full gear or lighter gear depending on the type of battle. It makes sense for me.

And it is also useful if you are RPing your char.

kalarhan said:

This. When I'm engaging a ruin or the troll, which demand me to stay fighting for a long time, then I usually choose light armor. If I'm leading a grand army, then I usually just buy a lame pony for 2000 gold and ride. Once we are close to the enemy, I usually dismount.

I always buy lame horses, because they'll get back to full health if you let them walk freely (i.e. stay in inventory). That's how I got my horse for third of the price.

Also, read Epicrules' post. Shift makes you zoom and walk. You need to remap zoom function.

kalarhan said:
In books of the era (literature) it is not uncommon for the hero to choose full gear or lighter gear depending on the type of battle. It makes sense for me.

And it is also useful if you are RPing your char.

Kjertesvein said:
This. When I'm engaging a ruin or the troll, which demand me to stay fighting for a long time, then I usually choose light armor. If I'm leading a grand army, then I usually just buy a lame pony for 2000 gold and ride. Once we are close to the enemy, I usually dismount.

Do not look here said:
I always buy lame horses, because they'll get back to full health if you let them walk freely (i.e. stay in inventory). That's how I got my horse for third of the price.

Also, read Epicrules' post. Shift makes you zoom and walk. You need to remap zoom function.

All good suggestions and i've been trying them out. Though i havent yet tested to see if 'zoom' reduces the stamina deterioration.

The thing about light armour for assaults is that surely when you're attacking a fort you want you're best possible armour to survive the onslaught of slingers and tiny-daggered welshmen? So far the only way i've found to do this is to get to the ladders, and hide under the ladders like a coward as my troops rush the walls and die for a few minutes, then i can finally climb the ladders with 'normal' stamina by the time i get there, and carve a bit of a path. This is the moment when combat is it's most confined and you cant afford to be taken down by a stray javelin. And unfortunately for sieges you cannot ride a pony to the ladders, though i've found that suggestion incredibly useful for field battles so TY, i was too used to native where i prefer to lead on foot all battle.

Heskeytime said:
The thing about light armour for assaults is that surely when you're attacking a fort you want you're best possible armour to survive the onslaught of slingers and tiny-daggered welshmen?

Thats what the shield is for!  :grin: 

-> Bring two even (one will defend your back and you can use it if the other breaks!)

Just watch 300. Those guys didnt even use armour!

300-1.jpg

300FC-00008.jpg

RanGer_SLO said:
Step 1: Bind zoom to some other button (mine is "Y").
Step 2: Hold shift during battle.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.

Does that reduce stamina consumption? If so that's great as a temporary option.

It'd still be nice for devs to look at this as a low priority feature that may be nice though, a toggle marked as 'walk' for the people who dont read forums or who want to walk without randomly being zoomed in. Shouldnt be too difficult to add in, and i think it would really suit the atmosphere of the game.

Heskeytime said:
RanGer_SLO said:
Step 1: Bind zoom to some other button (mine is "Y").
Step 2: Hold shift during battle.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.

Does that reduce stamina consumption? If so that's great as a temporary option.

It'd still be nice for devs to look at this as a low priority feature that may be nice though, a toggle marked as 'walk' for the people who dont read forums or who want to walk without randomly being zoomed in. Shouldnt be too difficult to add in, and i think it would really suit the atmosphere of the game.

Or just add a article in "Game Concepts" about shortcuts. Brytenwalda has one I believe.

Remind me, who actually reads the Game Concepts? :razz: The Game Concepts is the emails at work, no one reads more than the first paragraph. :grin:

Kjertesvein said:
Remind me, who actually reads the Game Concepts? :razz: The Game Concepts is the emails at work, no one reads more than the first paragraph. :grin:

Cant do much about this. They put a tutorial teaching you how to handle weapons, and people come to forum asking how to do it.  :roll:

They put a huge 867 number saying that is the year the game represents on the FIRST screen of a new game... and people still get surprised by it  :roll:

There is not easy solution. At least put it out there somewhere easy to find. And let those that want to find it... actualy have a chance to do it  :mrgreen:

kalarhan said:
Cant do much about this. They put a tutorial teaching you how to handle weapons, and people come to forum asking how to do it.  :roll:

They put a huge 867 number saying that is the year the game represents on the FIRST screen of a new game... and people still get surprised by it  :roll:

There is not easy solution. At least put it out there somewhere easy to find. And let those that want to find it... actualy have a chance to do it  :mrgreen:

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but are you objecting to this becoming an actual toggle-able feature? Like i said i'm only saying this as a low priority suggestion because i think it'd be a good feature. Maybe you think it's reasonable to expect everyone to come to the forum and find these imperfect loopholes but i think it's still preferable to have a proper mechanic for it.

This is an earnest suggestion to the devs, not something game-breaking that needs to be fixed, but a suggestion. Maybe i'm misunderstanding you but it feels like you're very resistant to any sort of suggestion and always play devils advocate against any suggestion, even one like this that isnt me *****ing about the game or claiming it's some massive issue, but something that might be good for gameplay without upsetting balance or even touching on the 'historical accuracy' debate for once.

I hope a dev reads this, the 'zoom' key may or may not work for now but either way it'd still be good to have a proper 'walk' option to toggle on and off.

Back
Top Bottom