Stadia & Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Google announced their new platform Stadia for streaming games in 4k 60fps. I wasn’t too interested in game streaming before due to the inherent latency issue, but Google is the one company that can mitigate the issue with it’s vast network of data centers.

What’s the possibility of playing Bannerlord on Stadia?

I usually look at all these announcements quite cynically and laugh at live fails like any rational human would. I also never watch streamers because I’d rather play the game myself (with the exception of some specific e-sports finals).

However, I must say Stadia’s concept surprised me, not having to spend 2k on a pc and then 30-60 bucks for each game and instead paying a subscription each month to access an entire library of games allá steam and being able to play all of them on 1080p 60 FPS max graphics regardless of your device, laptop or desktop? I don’t believe they can really pull it off but if they do that’s an entire new era for gaming right there.

Ahhhh SaaS, by this pace in 20 years nothing in life will remain free of that business model. :lol:

Count Delinard said:
I usually look at all these announcements quite cynically and laugh at live fails like any rational human would. I also never watch streamers because I’d rather play the game myself (with the exception of some specific e-sports finals).

However, I must say Stadia’s concept surprised me, not having to spend 2k on a pc and then 30-60 bucks for each game and instead paying a subscription each month to access an entire library of games allá steam and being able to play all of them on 1080p 60 FPS max graphics regardless of your device, laptop or desktop? I don’t believe they can really pull it off but if they do that’s an entire new era for gaming right there.

Ahhhh SaaS, by this pace in 20 years nothing in life will remain free of that business model. :lol:

Same. I’d rather pay $20-30 a month for the latest games and hardware than continue with the current upfront cost model. It would allow for a nice monitor and headset upgrade.

I’m curious if Bannerlord could be ported to Stadia. Apparently games need to be ported to be playable. Not sure how modding would work either. I plan on upgrading my pc when Bannerlord is released.. unless Stadia takes off with Bannerlord.

I doubt we will see Bannerlord on Stadia, but I wish devs comment this topic.
I guess there is a lot of incompatibilities.

... but who wouldn't want m&b on all those stadia's devieces  :party:

They briefly talked about battle royales and mentioned the possibility of larger multiplayer battles "thousands of players instead of hundred". I don't expect it thought tbh.

My worries about this is how many games we will get and if it will satisfy every kind of gamer, also how it could affect the indie scene since Google may not want to risk adding low resource developer games. Maybe it won't affect at all but it could be a thing

I don't know if anybody has tried out steam streaming / steam link or nvidea streaming /shield or whatever version of local in home streaming is out there now?  Assuming you are on the lan, and aren't using a shaky wifi connection, it works pretty well, but it really isn't super smooth. I played a lot of fallout 4 and dark souls 2 with it because I wanted to be downstairs on my TV, so it's playable, yeah, but it's just not as responsive as sitting at a nice PC with a good mouse and fast refresh monitor. 

Though after a bit you start to absorb the lag and not notice it. I liken it to somehow when I was younger I played doom 2 on a 386 and it used to lag really hard when the room got full of monsters. But just I didn't know any better and that delay I'd account for it and was able to have a ton of fun with it chopping around. Though when I switched off to the new p90 my dad got I thought the game was unplayable because it was so fast and smooth.  So, yeah our brains can handle small delays over time, but for me I know it'll be hard to go back to 'not super smooth'.

Still I think if they get a big library of games, have a good price like 10 a month, it can be a viable service for a lot of people not wanting to maintain a gaming PC or to spend less per year.  I am a little skeptical but somewhat interested to see how it goes and what kind of partnerships google can make for content.

Honestly what I'd love to see 4 years down the line is a game made for stadia that is so high fidelity it can only run on a server cluster and is designed to take advantage of the unique architecture. Not sure what that would be but would be something if a game was designed for that environment only.

I wonder if anyone has tried playing Mount and Blade (Warband) on Nvidia GeForce Now. Nvidia GeForce Now is basically the same kind of service as Google's Stadia, but it has already been running as free beta (although quite restricted).

About the game library and game ownership, Nvidia GeForce Now is taking a safe move by requiring the player to own the game to begin with (for example: purchased on Steam), unless the game is free by itself. In that way, the good side is the library can grow bigger quite easily. The current Nvidia GeForce Now library has about 400 games and already include Mount and Blade Warband. There would be no doubt that it would include Mount and Blade Bannerlord when the game is released. I don't think that, in the near future, Google's Stadia will let player play all full games without paying for those games, because it would mess up with the gaming platforms (like Steam, Uplay,...) 's policy, and the difference between players playing free games and paid games; these problems are solvable, but for now, Google's Stadia would at first do the same as Nvidia GeForce Now (which should include M&B Bannerlord), then add some free demos of various games.

About the potential for unique features, I hope Mount and Blade can make use of it. It's a bit missleading to say the main power of cloud gaming is enabling any device to play high-quality graphic game. Everyone should know the current main restriction of cloud gaming is the connection, and that also restricts the quality of the images. Therefore, I suggest M&B make use of cloud gaming by making the sever calculate much higher level of physics, much higher level of AI, and much bigger battle size, which we cant expect a common laptop to calculate smoothly.

BayBear said:
Google announced their new platform Stadia for streaming games in 4k 60fps. I wasn’t too interested in game streaming before due to the inherent latency issue, but Google is the one company that can mitigate the issue with it’s vast network of data centers.

What’s the possibility of playing Bannerlord on Stadia?

Stadia is for the casual audience and their main target are the console users. The problem with stadia is that if you live just abit away from the server centrals you will get alot of latency issues and input lag. Then you have the trouble with only gettin 30-60 fps on a fixed setting on 1080p (I use 1440p ie) I don't see any advantage to this tech unless you are used to playing on a console or just want to casually game some of the bigger titles, but don't want or cant afford a proper PC.

I don't see why people would diminish their FPS, higher resolution, better input and and the better latency. It would make no sense at all. Besides plenty of other streaming services for games exist, they have all failed horrible. That is not to say that playing Bannerlord would be not possible and enjoyable for some. I just don't think its a large audience.

Back
Top Bottom