Spintires

Users who are viewing this thread

Anthropoid

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Just bought this this evening and played a bit with a buddy.

Difficult game to get going with and not what I'd call an "easy" nor fast-paced game. But quite unique and fun. It is in fact, so unique, it is bound to have great promise for expansions and additions that add additional elements. For example, if this game were merged with an engine like Arma or Day Z . . . wow!

Basically, there are maps which seem to generally represent different types of terrain in a sub-arctic region. I suspect it is intended to be far eastern Russia or Siberia, perhaps Finland. The vehicles seem to be Soviet era military trucks, though no weaponry. There doesn't seem to be any fighting or combat in the game, it is strictly focused on driving, navigating rough terrain, and logging.

Good game.

I played the demo it was pretty fun but the camera control was literally the worst I've ever seen.

I'll probably get it if it goes on sale but I don't think it's worth £20 personally.

Yeah, I remember playing the demo and having a lot of fun with it. The price is the sticking point for me as well. €25? I don't think so. Anyone know how much actual content there is in this thing? How long does it take to play through, and is there any replayability?

It took me about 2 hours to get a handle on the basics: using the camera, controls like posi-track and 4x, parking brake, the gear shift, judging terrain, using the mini-map, exploring and finding routes around maps that don't destroy my vehicles, using the garage to repair, refuel and augment vehicles.

In total I've played 7 hours, mostly on the "Plains" map (there are I think 7 or 8 maps it comes with: Volcano, Coast, the Hill, Plains, are the ones I can think of but there are at least two more.

I have managed to net three or four achievements: Explore Plains (Remove all of the 'Cloaks' from the Plains level); Sisyphus (Drive a Type C vehicle with the Parking Brake engaged for 300 meters and Diff Lock disengaged); Explorer (Remove all of the 'Cloaks' on any level with the Type A-469 vehicle); Diver (Drive through water so that your vehicle is fully submerged and then escape without the engine stallin).

I have yet to finish any map by doing any logging and transporting the logs to a dropoff. I reckon that will take me another 7 hours. It plays kind've slow, and honestly it is a bit of a 'fiddly' game that an instant gratification gamer might find quite frustrating.

The kinds of challenges you face: Okay, I want to get over there to my northeast to clear that cloaking. I can't go straight at it because there is a forest and a creek. I'll try curving around to the south (20 minutes of carefully, in low gear with posi-track and 4x on navigating around bumps and rocks, and mudholes and trees) . . . nope that didn't work, time to back up and try curving around to the north (10 min of retracing your steps  . . . then another 20 min of ambling around to the north)  . . . Okay, now I'm in that open area just to the east of the cloaking, but I still cannot see it. Looks like if I go a bit west from here I can maybe get on an old logging road that might veer right and go toward the cloaking  . . . (15 min as you navigate across the field, and carefully get onto the road, averting the steep embankment and trees, then another 10 minutes as you follow the rutted road careful to straddle the mudspots where they are bad . . .) Ah! Now I can see the cloaking. But it is in the middle of a pond. How am I gonna get around to that . . . etc., etc.

Probably not for all gaming tastes but a fun distraction if you have patience and enjoy driving on rough terrain. Based on my experience driving in rough terrain, it seems surprisingly naturalistic. It is of course a game, but as games go this might well be the most "realistic" off-road sim so far.

The camera is probably the most frustrating thing and when you get into tight quarters with lots of humps and trees and you
are trying to navigate past an obstruction, the trickiness of using the camera combined with its inherent limitations makes it a bit less than ideal fun.

Using the manual and automatic transmission settings, using the winch, etc., all a bit awkward to figure out, but once you do they are quite useful and allow you to adapt to the terrain much better.

Hoping for a nice Turkish Lira price and an 20% (or higher) discount for this. That would definitely push me into buying the game. I like unique gaming experiences.

My only gripe is that it's a little too self knowing. Dubstep in the trailer? Please.

EDIT: Thanks for the detailed explanation. That sounds right up my street.

I kind of see this as like a The Hunter type game, where I expect to enjoy it just because it offers something different and satisfying.

I think so.

Well I played the demo with an xbox controller so I doubt they removed it.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Does it have gamepad support of any kind?

My buddy was playing it with his 360 controller and he said he preferred it. I think some of the "Advanced" game functions (stuff you use infrequently) like the winch and crane still require keyboard.

I find it works fine with keyboard and mouse though.

Couple other points: the graphics are very good and physics quite believable. This machine I'm playing it on is fairly old and only "intermediate" range but I had no performance issues.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM
Page File: 2261MB used, 3879MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9552)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9552&SUBSYS_10061462&REV_00
Display Memory: 1786 MB
Dedicated Memory: 507 MB

I have my doubts I'll play this for more than 100 maybe 150 hours. But hopefully this will just be the first installment with this engine. Like I said, expanding it or merging it with an FPS or tactical combat engine, maybe even some sort of regional strategic interface could be pretty dang cool.

Actually, what I would find the most interesting is if the game had more of a "builder" element. Meaning, the ability to build bridges, roads, etc.

All of which is pretty speculative. Oovee may have zero inclination to do anything of the sort.

ADDIT re realism:  the way your vehicle impacts and deforms the terrain is pretty amazing: digging trenches through thick mud, causing boulders to roll away when you catch them at an angle and your wheel(s) slip off them.

Spintires brings out the tough guy redneck in all of us

So I bought this for a decent price, and **** yeah, this is awesome. Exactly my kind of game. Though the first foray into the vast Soviet wilderness didn't exactly go as planned. Managed to load up some logs, got stuck in mud. Tried winching myself out and only succeeded in tipping the truck on its side, which made the logs fall out. FML.

Does the grab on the timber loader have a cross beam at the tips of the grab, so rather than two forks there is on flat piece?

Sir Hitson Winsler said:
Does the grab on the timber loader have a cross beam at the tips of the grab, so rather than two forks there is on flat piece?

No idea, I have yet to try to load any timber.

Re the video up there, video itself pretty accurate conveys what its like to play the game.

Buddie's problem with the winch: Once you get it connected you use the 'F' key to winch.

Other issue he is having: driving around in Auto trans all the time. You gotta stay in low gear most of the time.

Hit 'R' use the mouse to move the gear shift to the middle position (bottom is reverse; upper left is high gear; upper right is auto transmission).

Sir Hitson Winsler said:
Yes, it does. Is that important?

Anthropoid said:
Buddie's problem with the winch: Once you get it connected you use the 'F' key to winch.

Other issue he is having: driving around in Auto trans all the time. You gotta stay in low gear most of the time.

Hit 'R' use the mouse to move the gear shift to the middle position (bottom is reverse; upper left is high gear; upper right is auto transmission).
Yeah, having to use F to winch is a bit annoying. There is at least one button that's unbound on the controller, I wish we could just bind it to that. But apparently rebinding controller buttons isn't possible.

Other problems include the gearbox layout, which is really annoying to me. It's really tricky to get the gear stick where you want it with the gamepad, which could be very easily fixed by tweaking the layout a little bit to make it less easy to overshoot.

Also, the camera is awful and I have no idea where I'm going most of the time. I wish we just had a normal camera centered on the vehicle instead of this weird thing where it shifts from side to side.

Yeah my take on the transmission

Having fiddled with this (the current Steam version) this is my understanding of the configuration of the gearbox in this game.

Upper Right - (the default position) = Automatic transmission, and includes auto-reverse if you hold down 'S.' Truck will automatically register when an upshift or downshift is appropriate and do so, cycling up and down through as many as 5 gears (listed as such on the far lower left of the HUD).

Upper Left - (accessible by 'R' key then using left mouse button to move the gear lever on lower right of HUD, just like all the following positions) = manual high gear, low torque, high speed position. Shifting here while moving slowly or motionless will cause a stall. Registers as 1+ on lower left HUD. Allows for more rapid velocity of vehicle but lower torque in response to drag.

Middle (left side only) = Low Gear. Registers a 1 on lower left HUD.

Bottom (left side only) = Reverse.

Would appreciate if anyone can confirm all of that. Also, my question:

Is it not possible to manually shift the vehicle into 2, 3, 4th gear etc. as the vehicle will do on its own if in the Auto transmission position?

As far as game play i have found that (in causal mode) best to just stay in Low Gear most of the time. Any time I shift to 1+ or Auto, I find I very shortly after encounter mud or other factors that cause me to bog down and lose momentum and wind up shifting back to low gear anyway.

Request: currently manual shifting seems very 'spongy,' awkward, and slow. Nothing like actual manual shifting, which is crisp, rigid, distinct and quick. I realize there are definitely limitations to what can be achieved with a keyboard and mouse but the experience of casting my gaze at lower left and fiddling to move my mouse in just the right 'wavy' motion to get it to move along the gear shifting tracks doesn't come across as 'more realistic' to me. It just comes across as annoying.

Would suggest an alternative configuration in which hot keys can be mapped to specific gears and the right mouse button is used as the clutch.

That's exactly how the gearbox works, yes. I'm okay with the general idea, the issue I have is that it's a bit difficult to get it from one of the upper positions into the vertical part and from the vertical part into the middle left position. I actually take back what I said, I think the layout is fine as it is, the tweak it needs is to make the gearbox return to neutral position in the middle of the vertical section on its own when the gearbox key is pressed, like a real gearbox would.

Also, one of my trucks fell off a bridge and is now lying in a creek on its side. Curiously, the electric winch is apparently inoperable if it's rotated 90 degrees, so I'm having to rescue that truck with another one.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Sir Hitson Winsler said:
Yes, it does. Is that important?

Not really but it makes it a proper timber grab rather than a generic grapple grab type.

Also is the auto gearbox really late to downshift? that's my usual annoyance with automatic gearboxes in games that they leave it so late to change down you drop off of the peak power/torque.

Also more related to racing games really but you don't get as good engine braking because the revs are lower.

I haven't noticed any problems with the automatic gearbox once I properly understood what it's for. It's basically useless off-road. The gears on the left side are for off-road and the gear on the right, i.e. the automatic mode, is for tarmac. It works fine on the road.

Had a good time in coop with this, pulling each other out of mud and the like.

I haven't noticed any issues with the auto gearbox off-road... I can't actually drive but it doesn't seem that bad to me. I just go around with diff and all wheels on permanently though because you seem to get stuck too easily otherwise.

EDIT: Excerpt from a Skype conversation I had with a friend about it, with some thoughts and a reference to "The Hunter" which is another sim I enjoyed a lot.

[23/06/2014 13:16:32] Frank Elliott: played coop and just had to keep like towing each other out
[23/06/2014 13:16:39] Frank Elliott: of like rivers and ****
[23/06/2014 13:18:10] Olly ******: so it wasnt peaceful like that hunting game [The Hunter]
[23/06/2014 13:20:23] Frank Elliott: perhaps not peaceful but it is humble
[23/06/2014 13:21:11] Frank Elliott: you get no help or guidance really. Just a map which is mainly blacked out with gps and you've got to haul logs through a forest of trials
[23/06/2014 13:21:15] Frank Elliott: weak log bridges
[23/06/2014 13:21:32] Frank Elliott: gushing rivers, muddy roads and dense flora
[23/06/2014 13:21:51] Frank Elliott: you're often simply stuck and hopeless
[23/06/2014 13:22:27] Frank Elliott: also the noise of the truck rings home how disturbing all this activity must be to all the wildlife
[23/06/2014 13:22:44] Frank Elliott: you feel like the bad guy

Captain Lust said:
I just go around with diff and all wheels on permanently though because you seem to get stuck too easily otherwise.
Try the harder difficulty. You might not even get to the logging area with a full tank of fuel if you drive like that.

Back
Top Bottom