Speed of item switching

Users who are viewing this thread

It's too slow right now, I agree. As archer, it's annoying as hell that you're forced to switch to your melee weapon as soon as cav is even remotely close, just because there is a huge delay to account for. Barely not making the weapon switch is probably the most common reason I die to cav as archer, only second to getting couched. It was fine in the past.
being caught as an archer with bow out is basically a death sentence. Inf comes from behind you and you don't manage to switch before they hit you? Be ready to get bumped with their higher speed characters and spammed to death.

I think there's kind of a middle ground you could implement here.
Stowing a weapon then drawing another one probably should at least take as long as it does now, for both game feel and "logic" reasons (as much as that matters here...).
An interesting middle-ground solution would be to give a very slight speed increase to swapping weapons from an empty hand.
So the decision point now becomes: Do I try to fire one last arrow, knowing I'll have to ditch my bow to defend myself if I miss, or do I swap now and disengage to keep my bow?
Would give you another way to put pressure on opponents, and maybe provide Shield infantry a little more control of fights after initial engagement with archers if the archers made mistakes in engagement.
Would also let spear-users make a decision to try and dedicate to a close-range melee fight, but then might be more vulnerable to cav until they recover their long weapon.

Back
Top Bottom