Speed of item switching

Users who are viewing this thread

What do you guys think of the time it takes to switch between items ?

I believe that it should be faster. Say for example you are fighting in a melee situation and you start earing a cavalry charging you from behind. It would be very beneficial for Infantries if you could switch weapons to equip our spears very quickly in order to be abble to greet the cavalry with the proper weapon.

Another situation in which i feel the switching is too slow is when you have a 2h spear in hand and get charged by an infantrymen that just starts spamming you with attacks while pushing. Basicly in this situation, if you want to switch from spear to say sword, you are basicly doomed : you will receive a hit in the face during the switching because its slower than the swing speed.

Does making weapon switching faster make sense in a logical way ? No.
Does it make better gameplay and give an advantage to infantry vs cavalry ? It does, therefore, speeding it up is IMO a good idea.

If you can't switch your weapon fast enough - eg. holding a spear and they are spamming you, a sure way to do it is to nudge them - press RMB + Kick button.

I am okay with the switching speed in melee.
However, the anti-range battle takes a huge part of inf's job. (or at least fight under x-fire)
When you switch, your shield coverage will be as small as what the 3d model is... : (

I really believe melee needs a huge buff to coordinate all those "melee nerf" designs... Almost... every single new design in BL will nerf melee

I'm okay with the weapon change speed, but for the love of god please let me change weapons when i'm getting hit. I really hate it that change weapon cancels itself when getting hit while doing it. I'm already being punished for changing weapon at the wrong time, but how much is it enough when I'm being pushed.

the problem is that when you changed weapon you cant block/atack/ literally do anything in battle for a brief moment albeit visually your character is not busy with weapon changing already, that makes thing look dumb, so you are open for a strike

I would like to see it a little bit faster, at least for certain weapons. At the start of early access release, you could pretty much switch between spear and sword in the middle of a duel, leading to some badass fights. Unrealistic or whatever, but fun.

At the moment you can usually get a shove in which gives you time to switch weapons, which is fine, but I'd personally love to be able to switch through your weapons quicker to be able to pick the right tool for the job. I'd argue that switching to and from a ranged weapon should be even slower than it is now though.

Back in 1.5.0 they made equip animations longer, which increased the weapon switch time a touch to where it is now. Definitely felt better prior to the change.

Remember that it would also give buff to archers. They also like to swap weapons.
This. Prior to the change archers and javelin throwers would hold their attack right up until the last second then insta switch while being impossible to punish. Spear users also would routinely use shield bash to negate all pressure then instaswitch whenever they liked for free.

Having a slight delay to weapon switching forces people to consider what weapon they actually need out if they get into melee, and also allows melee players (infantry) to catch people out and gain an advantage. It encourages melee pressure in a game already sorely lacking in it.

I do agree with this though:
I'm okay with the weapon change speed, but for the love of god please let me change weapons when i'm getting hit. I really hate it that change weapon cancels itself when getting hit while doing it. I'm already being punished for changing weapon at the wrong time, but how much is it enough when I'm being pushed.

It feels extremely bad to be in the middle of switching a weapon and a cav bump or some random hit completely cancels it, and it feels like there's a slight input lag delaying the next switch as well. I would have the switch carry through and not be cancelled, but you still get the free hit if you catch an archer switching. Dare I say it...like in Warband.

Remember that it would also give buff to archers. They also like to swap weapons.
Increasing weapon switch speed only for infantry classes could give them a slight buff vs cavalry, and a bit of distinction as melee-focused class, because they could switch sword-spear faster. Although switching shouldn't be so fast that use of incorrect weapon goes unpunished.

Increasing weapon switch speed only for infantry classes could give them a slight buff vs cavalry, and a bit of distinction as melee-focused class, because they could switch sword-spear faster. Although switching shouldn't be so fast that use of incorrect weapon goes unpunished.
I do hope all these hidden stats can be shown on unit card, if we are going to have such class-specific stuff. Like skirmisher classes rn having higher acceleration

It's too slow right now, I agree. As archer, it's annoying as hell that you're forced to switch to your melee weapon as soon as cav is even remotely close, just because there is a huge delay to account for. Barely not making the weapon switch is probably the most common reason I die to cav as archer, only second to getting couched. It was fine in the past.

If I remember right, the slower weapon switch was due people just hitting someone in melee, then backing off to throw **** at them instantly. Seeing the throwing spam that's going on right now, making the switch faster would encourage it even more.

If I remember right, the slower weapon switch was due people just hitting someone in melee, then backing off to throw **** at them instantly. Seeing the throwing spam that's going on right now, making the switch faster would encourage it even more.
Then they need to make it slower when its for taking off a range weapon, and faster when its about getting out a melee weapon.

It's too slow right now, I agree. As archer, it's annoying as hell that you're forced to switch to your melee weapon as soon as cav is even remotely close, just because there is a huge delay to account for. Barely not making the weapon switch is probably the most common reason I die to cav as archer, only second to getting couched. It was fine in the past.
There is not a "huge delay" in switching, only if you get the switch reset is there a delay as discussed above.

Back
Top Bottom