Spears are too overpowered

Users who are viewing this thread

I think players that ask buff for spears, are asking buff against horses. It doesn't have to be like that. Nerfing horses against pierce damage would do the same job. Spear animation needs adjustment (aka nerf, or fixing a broken weapon)

Wouldn't nerfing horses against pierce damage also make them vulnerable vs arrows? The real issue methinks is they're too powerful vs other infantry and too weak vs cavalry.
Edit: Also, it could be an issue of spears vs pikes. Infantry spears were useful but not a hard counter against cavalry. Even pikes weren't 100% effective at stopping cavalry charges, that's one of the reasons why heavy cavalry dominated so many battlefields.

Last edited:
Spears shouldn't automatically STOP horses, but should deal significant damage (ideally based on the speed of the HORSE) and reduce their speed heavily. If the horse is light, or not moving fast, it might be stopped. Charge damage from the horse and/or lance would then be heavily reduced due to the drop in speed, but getting rammed by a horse should still be a bad thing.

Having the spear do full damage early in the thrust animation is also unrealistic. Damage should be tied to the movement rate of the spear, which would increase up to some point, and then begin to drop off again as you approach maximum extension. Spamming the button could produce a weak series of jabs at maximum reach, or at minimum reach, but to do serious damage it should need some time and room to accelerate.

Spears shouldn't automatically STOP horses, but should deal significant damage (ideally based on the speed of the HORSE) and reduce their speed heavily. If the horse is light, or not moving fast, it might be stopped. Charge damage from the horse and/or lance would then be heavily reduced due to the drop in speed, but getting rammed by a horse should still be a bad thing.

If it were me, I'd say that dozens of braced spears have a chance of stopping a horse before contact is made via a sort of "horse morale" system, and in general say that large enough amounts of damage can also stop a horse. This would mean that if you run straight into braced spears, enough of them are probably going to hit your horse that you're not going too deep into the enemy lines before your horse "nope"s the hell out of that.

What are you even saying?
Regardless, have you ever tried kicking?
If you have, you'd know that they're completely useless and not the answer to anything presently.
I look at your “grandmaster knight” rank and feel D I S G U S T I N G. True grandmasters know how to counter aggressive playstyle lmao

I personally don't find them op at all, you only need to block two directions instead of one, you can stop moving and that usually results in spear either dealing laughable damage or bumping off of you, I only had problems fighting spears when I dealt with them as if they were a sword. Meanwhile, playing as a spearman, I find everything depends on enemy movement, if I can out maneuver, I will crush enemy with my spear, if I can't, I won't be able to hit him once, so I personally find them ok, they are too strong with shield though, but nerfing damage, speed or anything else should not be solution, I think only when in combo with shield should it be altered.

???? It's a video of clips of a guy stabbing people with a spear, you could make a video just like this with a sickle and be like "sickles op lul"
Despite good music, this video shows one main issue. As I stated before:
...but the problem is with:

-early damage, often full damage
-that can be inflicted from very close.

In real life, it is impossible to do something similar with a spear from hugging distance, man.

???? It's a video of clips of a guy stabbing people with a spear, you could make a video just like this with a sickle and be like "sickles op lul"
You do realise that I can make a video hitting people in the back or in the face with a sickle and kill them? or with a sword? or with a 2H? If they are not blocking and you are hitting them from the back obviously they SHOULD take damage? Or what is the purpose of that video?
:fruity: That is what I mean like every single guy that says "spears are op" post video of themselves stabbing people in the back with a spear or stabbing people who arent blocking and they be like "sPeArs aRe oP" and thats their reasoning?? I understand that the animation might need tweaking (which it most likely will) but other than that its fine?

:fruity: That is what I mean like every single guy that says "spears are op" post video of themselves stabbing people in the back with a spear or stabbing people who arent blocking and they be like "sPeArs aRe oP" and thats their reasoning?? I understand that the animation might need tweaking (which it most likely will) but other than that its fine?
You're ignoring the explanations given to you and being purposefully obtuse.

You should try and understand Gab's video was made almost two months ago when spears/javs were literally Thanos snap level of powerful. They're not as much now but the video is still relevant.

You clearly did not suffer through this era of the beta.

The purpose of the video is showing instant dmg hits early in the animation with no glances, speed, huge dmg output especially against high armour, lack of blockstun allowing me to top the leaderboard while only using a spear for the entirety of both matches. If you want more detailed explanations about spears' issues feel free to dig through my many posts about them or Charlini's, you will have plenty of material.
Doesn't matter if they're good or not the fact that I can stab him 4 times there and not bounce off is why spears dont need a buff. Even if hes a good player I can force him to block while facehugging me 1v1 using a spear against a sword. That's the point were making.

Not sure if you're just stupid or pretending to be.

Back
Top Bottom