Spearman Video series

Users who are viewing this thread

I want to hire this man for a seminar for my Vlandian and Aserai Recruits (and Bedouin Rover etc).

I am not sure he knows what he is doing... I didn't hear any "AAAARRRARGGGHH!!!!"

Medieval Spear Play by Dimicator

One day I too will be a master spearman in Bannerlord ?

The whole spear combat in bannelord is just wrong and obsolete, you shouldn't be able to block a thrust except with a shield.
I suggested a new system for deflect thrust way before the closed beta but nobody listened, I'm sure it would have been amazing and innovative.

The whole spear combat in bannelord is just wrong and obsolete, you shouldn't be able to block a thrust except with a shield.
I suggested a new system for deflect thrust way before the closed beta but nobody listened, I'm sure it would have been amazing and innovative.
Spears cant have all advantages, they should counter horses and thats it.

Spears cant have all advantages, they should counter horses and thats it.
well, there's a reason why spears were the main military weapon for thousands of years. Swords are like backup weapons more used as fancy trinkets in actual battle-field, they served the primary purpose of self-defense in day-to-day. During the Iron Age they were more commonly used, but that's because the main weapons were shields at that time period, that you'd have used to complement your shield with, didn't really matter if it would be a sword or axe, alas all battles in the iron age would start with a spear shield-wall. Or at least that's what I've learned from digging into the subject.

Spears should be the main weapon in BL if it strives to achieve any level of realism, if we're trying to favor sharp iron sticks, then yeah, they should be unrealistically limited to stopping unrealistic horse charges.

Combat in the computer game is always a simplification. You can't have anywhere near realistic combat because you are using fingertips on keys and hand on a mouse to make combat moves as opposed to all parts and muscles of your body. And picture you see is 2D instead of a 3D, which means that your eyes can't determine distances as well as in the real life.

It also have to be simple enough for a new player to be reasonably effective. You can't force player to train combat for years to be able to play the game.

MB combat system is the best computer game combat around because it allows fluid combat against multiple enemies using wide variety of the weapons.

As Viking Conquest have shown, spear can be effective in the MB combat system, you don't have to change it. I did not see changes VC did to spears, but I suspect that the trick is in changing how damage is distributed through the trust. Trusts shouldn't be as sensitive to "effective distance" then swings are, because trust does not rely as much on momentum of the weapon as a swing. In other words, problem is that spear trusts in BL deal too little damage when they are not at the optimal reach of the weapon.

Still, spear combat in BL is much better then it was in the Warband.

Last edited:
Yes the distance part with damage and the slow attack speed bothers me. For singleplayer I think spears could need some help, so even new players can use them. Instead of learning distance and timing and farming skill points to get the good perks. The other weapons all work with 0 skill points.

The animation also bothers me a bit, where I can't use the spear point and shield at the same time for defense.

One more thing that bothers me, is when some random looter wielding a hammer, can parry my attacks be they from foot or horseback. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom