spear + shield infantry. how to use it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Egaldor

Sergeant
In real life spears are supposed to counter cavalry, but in warband, soldiers using spears cant hit a thing and will be useless once engaged in close combat.
Im doing it wrong? Any rhodok lovers know how to use spear ranks?

Spears can be rather effective if you can backpedal to maintain the distance.  If you've got some kind of obstruction which prevents the attacker from advancing (a fence, a wall, or a line of soldiers ahead of you), it's quite powerful.  It works wonders as a "second rank" weapon.  I've stood back from the head of a ladder and poked holes in the opposing soldiers standing just inside the walls with relative impunity, while the sword wielders hacked away at each other from arm's length away.  If you're forced to close, then it's far from ideal.

Egaldor said:
In real life spears are supposed to counter cavalry, but in warband, soldiers using spears cant hit a thing and will be useless once engaged in close combat.
Im doing it wrong? Any rhodok lovers know how to use spear ranks?
In reality spears were effective as organized group not as individual(?) weapon.once the spear wall formation broken it was not very effectiv.the bad thing in warband, you cannot make overhead thrust.

Spears were quite effective in the hand of an individual, in addition to being a great group weapon.

In Warband, use hold position. In certain situations have them spread out, or close together. I like being on top of a hill, and setting up there. I separate the ranged units and the melee units.

It would be usefull if AI with spears would target horses instead of the riders when charged by cavalry as they will fail to hit the rider most of the times, and horses will be able to reach the backlines where the arches are, causing them to go meele and stop shooting at their infantry :???:

Playing full infantry and triying to counter heavy cavalry is hard

Well, I want to point out that the Rhodokian sergeants become invincible murder machines, if you command them correctly.
I was able to mow down rows, upon rows of Swadian Knights when I used my secret technique. Swadian Knights... they who are seen as cheats.
Nords are quite a pain in the ass, if you use Rhodoks. Nords however are destroyed by Swadian Knights. I recommend to annex the Swadian territory first and then launching a full scale invasion (with Swadian Knights) on the Nords.

What my secret technique is, is pretty much practiced throughout history. Primarily by the Romans.
It's the Testudo (turtle) formation.
It's a shame you can't have shield placed on top, or else they literally would be invincible.

How to do it:
1. 'hold this position'
2. spam the 'stand closer' option with your infantry
3. destroy the enemy

This may seem simple, but it's really tough to break through twenty sergeants, each one of them equipped and skilled to the max.
Sharpshooters are a pain to the ass, too, if you aren't immediately rushing and charging. I have tried both, the sergeants had better results, but the sharpshooters were pretty ****ing cool too.

Back
Top Bottom