Spear Overhaul (overhand + underhand attack animations, stat changes)

Users who are viewing this thread

vidamir

Sergeant at Arms
What this does

Sahran very kindly allowed me to port his excellent 2-strike solution into Brytenwalda (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,233889.0.html). The rar includes the skeleton file from Combat Animations Enhancement by Papa Lazarou (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=134185.0) to get it to show the new animations in Brytenwalda.

This allows you to attack with spears using 2 different stances using mouse movement. If you start with upward mouse movement, you attack from the shoulder with a longer, slower thrust over your shield, so you are more protected. This is great for the front line of your shield wall. If you start with a downward mouse movement, you get a quick jab type thrust starting from the waist. You can attack very quickly with this, but drop your shield so you are exposed while attacking. So both types of attacks have advantages and disadvantages.

I would appreciate some people who use spear/shield in their games to try this and test it out so I can verify it works for other people.

Here is some poor quality video:

Showing the animations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv3m3jZOoCI&hd=1

Animations in first person: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMUM-Ccifg&hd=1

Stat changes

I also overhauled the stats on all one-handed spears. They have had their damage increased to make up for the difficulty in using spears compared to axes or swords, and I've increased speed on most of the spears. Spears now perform closer to expectations based on whether they are light, medium, or heavy — a light spear will be very fast, but weak. A heavy spear will attack slow, but have higher damage. Medium spears are in between. Named spears are now the best spears in the game.

Thrust and swing damage have been set as the same for all 1-handed spears, which is unfortunately required to get the 2 different animations to register their damage correctly. I may eventually make it impossible to drop your shield and swing the spear like a bat 2-handed style so you can't cheese, but I have not yet done that.

If you are using my spear overhaul from my downloads/updates topic, allow this to overwrite it.

To install

BACKUP item_kinds1.txt, module.ini, and actions.txt from your Brytenwalda folder. If you would like to remove this overhaul later, just restore these 3 files. You do not need to remove the BRFs from the resource folder if you don't want to.

If you are using the GRAPHIC SUBMOD, download this rar: http://snk.to/f-chmetye5
If you are NOT using the graphic submod, download this rar: http://snk.to/f-cdk9wm9t

Copy the contents of the RAR to your Modules/Brytenwalda folder. Allow it to overwrite the files there. If you are using the TML submod, install that first, then allow these files to overwrite them.

If you would just like to use the new animations, but don't want the spear stat changes, delete the item_kinds1.txt file from the rar. You MUST then edit your items module to flag all 1-handed spears as otc_staff, flag them to remove blur, and match swing and thrust damage amount and type and then recompile. Afterwards, copy the remaining files in my rar into your Brytenwalda folder and allow them to overwrite.

WOW thanks again vidamir!  I tried to incorporate this into my own sub-mod but I never got it to work.  I got so excited when i found it on the OSP forum and was so bummed out when it wouldn't work.  This is going to make my day!

this sounds really great, sadly it didnt work for me. on launching the game it says something about not being able to open the skeleton file. any ideas? i've got TML and your previous spear buff, nothing else.

thanks

Sarkiss said:
this sounds really great, sadly it didnt work for me. on launching the game it says something about not being able to open the skeleton file. any ideas? i've got TML and your previous spear buff, nothing else.

thanks
Which version of Brytenwalda are you using? 1.4? And what version Mount and Blade? 1.153?

When you opened the RAR, there is a folder inside named Resource. Did you copy the files inside to your Modules/Brytenwalda/Resource folder? The skeletons file is inside the folder. Can you check if that file was copied correctly when you installed this? Try manually copying the file over once and see if the game will load it.

vidamir said:
Sarkiss said:

thanks
Which version of Brytenwalda are you using? 1.4? And what version Mount and Blade? 1.153?

When you opened the RAR, there is a folder inside named Resource. Did you copy the files inside to your Modules/Brytenwalda/Resource folder? The skeletons file is inside the folder. Can you check if that file was copied correctly when you installed this? Try manually copying the file over once and see if the game will load it.
thanks. im using the latest 1.4 on 1.153. it was my mistake, i didnt copy the resource folder and its content. now that i did, however, it says that it cannot open env_materials.brf. not sure what is happening, cant launch the game.

Sarkiss said:
thanks. im using the latest 1.4 on 1.153. it was my mistake, i didnt copy the resource folder and its content. now that i did, however, it says that it cannot open env_materials.brf. not sure what is happening, cant launch the game.
Ah, that one is actually my mistake. I forget that not everyone uses the graphic submod — env materials is loaded in the module.ini file when you run the graphic submod. I updated the original post with a RAR file for people that don't use the graphic submod. Download that one and overwrite the files with it.

Let me know if that fixes your problem!

vidamir said:
Sarkiss said:
Ah, that one is actually my mistake. I forget that not everyone uses the graphic submod — env materials is loaded in the module.ini file when you run the graphic submod. I updated the original post with a RAR file for people that don't use the graphic submod. Download that one and overwrite the files with it.

Let me know if that fixes your problem!
nope, still got the same unable to open materials.brf message upon the launch :sad:

thanks for trying anyway

Sarkiss said:
nope, still got the same unable to open materials.brf message upon the launch :sad:

thanks for trying anyway
That's because I'm an idiot and uploaded the same file. Give me a minute and I'll get it swapped.

EDIT: Here you go. Try this one: http://snk.to/f-cdk9wm9t

works now, thanks. what ive noticed changed is that both the swing and thrust spear damage are of exactly the same values now, i.e. 34-34. is it intended?

also, this two spear animations, are they for player only or can AI use them too?

thanks a lot

Sarkiss said:
works now, thanks. what ive noticed changed is that both the swing and thrust spear damage are of exactly the same values now, i.e. 34-34. is it intended?

also, this two spear animations, are they for player only or can AI use them too?

thanks a lot
I'm glad you got it working and you brought that problem to my attention!

Yes, the damage being the same is intended. I mentioned it in the first post, but here it is again:

Thrust and swing damage have been set as the same for all 1-handed spears, which is unfortunately required to get the 2 different animations to register their damage correctly. I may eventually make it impossible to drop your shield and swing the spear like a bat 2-handed style so you can't cheese, but I have not yet done that.

It needs to be the same because otherwise the high and low thrusts have different damages and types.

The AI does use the new animations.

sorry, my bad, ive actually read it, but evidently havent payed enough attention. good to know it isnt a screw up on my end again.

the new animations take some getting used to. trying to get a hang of it, unsuccsessfully thus far :lol: and sword thrust is also changed to the underhanded one, need more practice. im consisntently getting my butt kicked in the torneys. :oops:

thank you :grin:

This is one great mod! I've been waiting for this for quite some time and I'm greatly impressed. However the equal thrust and swing damage has had some interesting repercussions. Most notably the fact that this mod makes bagudas unholy gods of war. I have always been used to them being push overs aside from the lucky javelin throw or two so I gladly took on a group of 50 or so, expecting my men to make quick work of these criminal scum. I never knew how wrong I could be. It was a slaughter. Even my best companions and hearthweru taken down by the mass of swinging spears that forced me to crawl away in shame.

Hey! Any chance that you could tell us how to add things into module.ini manually? I cannot replace the file myself, for I have applied few fixes and tweaks to Polished Landscapes.

Cheers.

Clagius said:
Hey! Any chance that you could tell us how to add things into module.ini manually? I cannot replace the file myself, for I have applied few fixes and tweaks to Polished Landscapes.

Cheers.
Certainly. It's only 2 small changes:

1. Run a search for

load_resource = skeletons

and replace with

load_mod_resource = skeletons

2. Run a search for

load_module_resource = ani_overhand_spear

and replace with

load_module_resource = animation_two_spear_strike

Is this compatible with Julu70's 1.40 bugfix fan-patch thing, or do I have to manually make the changes in his files in order for this to work right?

Geredis said:
Is this compatible with Julu70's 1.40 bugfix fan-patch thing, or do I have to manually make the changes in his files in order for this to work right?
That's one of the few submods I don't actually use, so I have no idea. My file modifies actions.txt, item_kinds1.txt, module.ini and adds 2 files to the Resource folder. If any of those files are modified by Julu's patch, you will have to combine the changes.

Back
Top Bottom