Spear infantry vs Cavalry (and anything else)

Users who are viewing this thread

So, today I noticed a weird thing while doing custom battle tests: Even against melee cavalry, spear infantry like the picked warrior and Vlandian swordsman seem to pretty consistently do worse than non-spear cavalry like the legionnaire or Khuzait spear infantry (despite the name, they only have javelins) against melee cavalry (and anything else) .
And I think I found the reason why:
640F5156F10460634809ABBB2CDE1CC00E73E9E9

This image is the result of 100 Khuzait lancers charging straight into a shield wall of 100 picked warriors. I count two horses that are spooked, but no horse or rider has been killed or dismounted.

The whole point of a spear is its range, specifically to hurt the enemy before he can hurt you. In close range, a spear is more hindrance than help compared to a shorter weapon -- that is true both in MB2 and in real life. If you cannot hurt an enemy before he gets in your face, a spear is pointless. And currently, any melee battle in MB2 seems to become a close range brawl -- is why I believe infantry with swords currently outperform spear infantry even against cavalry. And while it makes some sense that an infantry unit with a shield can...shield themselves while closing the distance to a spearman, it makes no sense that a horse can run straight into a shield wall without being even inconvenienced.

So could we please increase spear effectiveness vs mounted units?
In my opinion, a spear hit on a rider should have a much higher chance of dismounting them, and a spear hit on a horse should have a high chance of spooking the horse, and at least a low chance of dismounting the rider.

Spears are already a very bad infantry weapon against anything that is not mounted (in game, not IRL), and even versus mounted units they are of limited effectiveness unless the rider runs straight and frontally into the infantryman. But in that situation, a cavalry unit needs to really be punished, with a high chance of being killed or at least dismounted, if spears and pikes should ever have any use at all.
They need to implement bracing if u are pressing Atack bottom and you keep it pressed and the enemy horse run at the tip of your spear it should do dmg

Spear bracing in singleplayer is on their announced list of priorities. If they actually do implement it, this shouldn't be an issue anymore.

legionaries arent actually spear infantry. Pilum are for throwing and always have been.
yup but they have been used as makeshift spears and anti-cav weapon in RL when the need arised, worse that would happen was the point curving thanks to the soft iron and making the pilum useless for throwing after some impacts.

Back
Top Bottom