MP Spear Bracing - Automatic Toggle Walking Mode

Users who are viewing this thread

AxiosXiphos

Sergeant Knight
I do love the new spear-brace; it feels brilliant when you land it and I can't wait to see it in singleplayer.

What a lot of people probably don't know however is you can actually walk while spear bracing. if you toggle 'always walk' (caps-lock by default) you can actually slowly shuffle around and reposition with your spear braced. Problem is right now this is both not clear and very clunky.

To achieve this I have to swap to my spear, swap off my shield, press x to brace and then caps lock to toggle walk. Then to leave this I have to untoggle walking or make an attack.

What I'd suggest is making spearbracing automatically toggle 'walk only' by default so you can still move easily and then untoggle 'walk only' when we leave spear bracing. this would make the use of this mode much more fluid and easy to transition to/from.

Maybe it is an opinion that goes against what other people think; I have already said it before, the brace pike/spear should be a static action of total immobility while the polearm is deployed (only aiming edge).

If you played The Deluge and other mods where you could perform this animation, you'll remember that it was a static action.

That you can actually walk with the spear/polearm in brace mode is debatable to say the least.

An opinion...

Maybe it is an opinion that goes against what other people think; I have already said it before, the brace pike/spear should be a static action of total immobility while the polearm is deployed (only aiming edge).

If you played The Deluge and other mods where you could perform this animation, you'll remember that it was a static action.

That you can actually walk with the spear/polearm in brace mode is debatable to say the least.

An opinion...

From the point of view of what makes practical sense I 100% agree.

However from a gameplay perspective; being completely static will make the technique largely useless as it will be just too risky. Remember that you have no defence against attacks; no shield and then adding no movement on top. Compare to this is equivalent in cavalry; couched lances - which have full movement capability and the character raises their shield to offer fairly decent anti-archer defence.

If anything I'd like spear bracing to allow shield use aswell (as in like couched lances; just a static raised shield to offer some cover) - to let us have properly difficult to shift defensive formations.

main-qimg-9c433aea7582ee619a0a7a3f5b09bae0

It just doesn't have the same competitive impact as couched lancing does, and the main reasons are:
  • Completely static by default, your suggestion is ideal but it would be nice to be a bit faster still
  • Completely vulnerable to archers, again allowing us to brace a spear with our shields would be nice
  • It doesn't even outright kill horses, although the next patch will apparently reduce the HP and armour of horses so I would wait to see what that does first
It's up to Taleworlds, does the bracing become a competitive tool or just something that roleplayers/formation battle enthusiasts can use.

Back
Top Bottom