Spear Bracing (1.6.2)

Users who are viewing this thread

I won´t be able to play the game for a while to test this new feature so please share your experience with it, could be a great thing and could change the outcome of battles if it works and if the AI is able to use it.

Testing spear bracing ?

That was fast, thanks!

Ha, good point. Poor melee cavalry...
Next step, like with toddlers, one step before the other! I hope the realistic battle mod guys can improve this.

I love the mod but I think that cav is OP in this mod (still way better than everything <1.6.2 has to offer) but with those options they can make something awesome I hope. Relying on TW alone maybe in 6 months :wink:

That was fast, thanks!

Next step, like with toddlers, one step before the other! I hope the realistic battle mod guys can improve this.

I like the mod but I think that cav is OP in this mod but with those options they can make something awesome I hope.
Have you tried the latest version of RBM that drastically improved infantry formations? i made a few very positive tests and in one (500 vs 500 all high tier units) had a legionary shieldwall absolutely trash a Vlandian cavalry charge, soak their crossbowmen bolts like they were flies and then hold against their infantry charge for minutes without breaking a sweat, in the end i separated a small 50 men force from the main shieldwall and used it to flank in skein formation to finish the Vlandians, it was simply... beautiful :ohdear:

No video here, but I find that the spear bracing works really well. I use Vlandian Pikemen for it and notice when in shield wall they'll brace when the cav is probably 25 meters from the formation and are already at full gallop - with archer support they stand no chance. Then you send in your own melee cav [chef's kiss] love it.

Ha, good point. Poor melee cavalry...
OK. Seriously cavalry AI needs to be updated not to charge into spears like that.... WTF.
Or, here me out: Cav gets a special charge attack the player can order that IS committed and is more powerful (actually works) BUT of course if you choose to use it there's a chance the enemy can quickly spear brace against it and ef em over.
Cuz TBH Cav still totally sucks. Unless you have 50+ heavy Cav their charge barely does anything and they get btfo anyways. They don't know hot to hit with weapons :sad:

Very glad to see it in the game. I like how it doesn't necessarily instagib all the cav. That's good.

Last edited:
Whether it was influence from BestMods168 or an eventual feature, this is very good to see and that while it was a small patch, this is looking to be a good foundation for bigger stuff. I approve.

That being said, I will not be able to experience this for a while as I don't play beta patches. Back to my 1.6.0 hole. Might do some renovations for 1.6.1 stable.. it'll take a few weeks ya feel.

OK. Seriously cavalry AI needs to be updated not to charge into spears like that.... WTF.
Well... i have 2 things to say about that:
1. the cavalry would till charge into the pikes, because of a simple thing: the impact of the hourse charging is bigger than the dencity of the spear. aka: it will break, and the line will break as well... Think of it as Winkelried moment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_von_Winkelried)
2. If you would change the cavalry AI, i htink it would kind of make them obsolete a bit. because, if not charging towards infantry what would (and could) they do?

But im not an expert, so if anyone has better info than i have, do tell :smile:

Testing spear bracing ?

I'm loving all the horses rear up on impact... causing a pileup behind them.

The player should be able to counter this by charging from the flank. And in most situations the AI also prefers to charge from the flanks - unless they feel they have superiority - it might just be a tweak to this behaviour balance - keeping cavalry on the flanks and charging the centre with infantry.

I won´t be able to play the game for a while to test this new feature so please share your experience with it, could be a great thing and could change the outcome of battles if it works and if the AI is able to use it.
There aren't enough troops with 230+ length polearms to impact battles in a normal playthrough. 230+ length is really, really long. I think only Vlandian pikemen have them by default but I haven't gone through all the troops yet.

I guess you could just recruit nothing but Vlandian pikemen but that gimps you in a lot of other ways.

Back
Top Bottom