Spear Bracing (1.6.2)

Users who are viewing this thread

I tried 6 metres long pikes in RBM and when pikemen braced them, they just aimed them too high and generally missed the incoming cav, now if they aimed them lower at horses instead of rider brace might actually be really usefull, right now its a gimmick, at least if you play with any mod that removes instakills vs armor from the game.
If you want it to work, don't worry about the specific length. Make sure the the pike is about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 the length of a soldier.

If you think you can use the same justifications that generated battlefield tactics for early middle ages warfare as supporting evidence for what should happen in a 500 v 500 skirmish in a tiny battle map amongst a bunch of bots then maybe I am the one wasting my (virtual) breath.
You clearly lack the ability to pick up on implied meanings and subtle language. I am obviously not saying "this is exactly how battles in Bannerlord should be". What I am saying is that we should at least have substantial inspiration from the side of realism than simply a pure arcade game. Nobody is asking for hyper-realism. It's more important in my mind that it feels more realistic vs actually being properly and historically realistic. I even said before that I'd be fine if cavalry worked like it did in Total War. More realism does not mean "let's make this like reality" it simply means it's more believable and has more of a semblance of truth than other designs, even if it isn't objectively "realistic". You can't make a game like this properly "realistic", but that does not mean it can't take inspiration from realism and turn that into something fun and enjoyable.

I was really hoping we would get a defensive spearwall formation where at least 2 ranks fight. That was one of if not the primary strength of dense packed spear formations, they brought a forest of spears forth and trying to charge through them was difficult. There are accounts of Roman soldiers of how terrifying it was facing the Macedonian Phalanx. The main problem was they could be easily out maneuvered, but facing them from the front they were almost impenetrable as long as the ranks kept order. At Hastings the Normans broke the shieldwall because they feigned a retreat, the Saxons broke rank and changed after them thinking they won the battle. Once the Norman cavalry wheeled around and caught them out in the open out of formation it was over.

In truth it would be better if it was Battinia were the factions that used pikes, they are pinned between two cavalry super powers and their cav in pretty lame. The Picts and the Scots both used long spears/pikes to defend against cavalry.

1596b59b34d5deb4b2c7e537da9662dd.jpg

If you want it to work, don't worry about the specific length. Make sure the the pike is about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 the length of a soldier.
Do you mean that you did some ingame tests or you are quoting historical numbers?

Edit: For info, cavalry lances in RBM have proper length and proper position when they are couched so they outreach vanilla length pikes (at least if the pikes aim to the sky).

Last edited:
Majority of the damage done by cavalry charge should not go from charge damage of horse!!! It should go from lances of the riders, ideally couched lances - this can be easily fixed by telling can AI to charge instead of advancing and by increasing the charge distance factor to 5-7f instead of 3-2.5f we currently have in vanilla.
can you change the charge distance in de XML files? I could not find it.
I would like to experiment with this.

can you change the charge distance in de XML files? I could not find it.
I would like to experiment with this.
No its in the code. Anything complex in BL needs to be done via code. However as I said, you need to tell cav to charge in addition to setting their charge distance, at least if you want it to work properly for AI too. We are already doing this (advance is generally very underperforming command) because in vanilla AI often advances which means no javelin throwing, no cav charging etc.

Personally i think a lot of the problems and restrictions the game currently has can be solved by becoming more simple and realistic

--the cavalry charge. currently it's a wad of mess, every rider tries to target somebody in front of them in their path, but most of them ends up running into their allies in the back and nullifying the charge. there's too much ai work. they keep fighting after you give the command stringing in from the flanks. it's inefficient, gets your troops killed, messy, and not realistic.
what it should be is charging in a block formation in a straight line at an even pace, only attacking the person directly in front of them not closest to them. and charge through as much as possible then disengage off to the flank. you can give them repeated charge commands and they'll repeat the charge from their current direction. this should be easier to implement than the current system, since the units are already in formation and their collisions are easier to manage if staying in formation

--i'm using a mod that increases battle size upto 2000 and i noticed at a certain point it crashes my game, it's not based on the number of units present, but based on the attack calculations, the ragdoll physics, the fast paced buggy twitches and most importantly, the stupid instant pop up respawn reinforcement system. I even have corpses set on showing all. if i limit the battle size, no matter how many units eventually loads in and ends up dead on the ground, the game doesn't crash.
now obviously, tactics and game play would become more "realistic" if units didn't just run in and kill everything/ die within 30 seconds in a frenzy of blows but everything happened in a more calculated manner and paced out more. this could reduce the number of actions the game processes per minute and reduce lag/crash. ultimately allowing more troops on the battlefield offering a more grand experience. in turn becomes more realistic allowing more employment of tactics in combat.

having larger battle maps, dynamic reinforcement locations (maybe you can sent engineer to build it), and bigger battle size would make the field battles infinitely more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Personally i think a lot of the problems and restrictions the game currently has can be solved by becoming more simple and realistic

--the cavalry charge. currently it's a wad of mess, every rider tries to target somebody in front of them in their path, but most of them ends up running into their allies in the back and nullifying the charge. there's too much ai work. they keep fighting after you give the command stringing in from the flanks. it's inefficient, gets your troops killed, messy, and not realistic.
what it should be is charging in a block formation in a straight line at an even pace, only attacking the person directly in front of them not closest to them. and charge through as much as possible then disengage off to the flank. you can give them repeated charge commands and they'll repeat the charge from their current direction. this should be easier to implement than the current system, since the units are already in formation and their collisions are easier to manage if staying in formation

--i'm using a mod that increases battle size upto 2000 and i noticed at a certain point it crashes my game, it's not based on the number of units present, but based on the attack calculations, the ragdoll physics, the fast paced buggy twitches and most importantly, the stupid instant pop up respawn reinforcement system. I even have corpses set on showing all. if i limit the battle size, no matter how many units eventually loads in and ends up dead on the ground, the game doesn't crash.
now obviously, tactics and game play would become more "realistic" if units didn't just run in and kill everything/ die within 30 seconds in a frenzy of blows but everything happened in a more calculated manner and paced out more. this could reduce the number of actions the game processes per minute and reduce lag/crash. ultimately allowing more troops on the battlefield offering a more grand experience. in turn becomes more realistic allowing more employment of tactics in combat.

having larger battle maps, dynamic reinforcement locations (maybe you can sent engineer to build it), and bigger battle size would make the field battles infinitely more enjoyable.
I think if there is more than 2048 on the map, it is likely to crash, riderless horses are considered characters by the game, so with 2K battle limit you might end up with over 2048 chars if there is lot of killed riders but not their horses.

I think if there is more than 2048 on the map, it is likely to crash, riderless horses are considered characters by the game, so with 2K battle limit you might end up with over 2048 chars if there is lot of killed riders but not their horses.
where is that 2048 number from ? it could be since i usually eliminate enemy horse archers and cavalry first. so there would be a bunch of riderless horses while their second wave of reinforcement riders come in

At Hastings the Normans broke the shieldwall because they feigned a retreat, the Saxons broke rank and changed after them thinking they won the battle. Once the Norman cavalry wheeled around and caught them out in the open out of formation it was over.
From reading the primary sources on the battle and a historian's analysis I might add a slight correction- the Normans did draw some troops out of the shieldwall at Hastings with the feigned flights, and a mid-size group of Saxons who chased them were caught out in the open by the cavalry and killed. However, the gaps in the shield wall were filled by men from the fyrd, and the battle went on for quite some time. So the shieldwall was weakened by the feigned flights, but not defeated by them.
In truth it would be better if it was Battinia were the factions that used pikes, they are pinned between two cavalry super powers and their cav in pretty lame. The Picts and the Scots both used long spears/pikes to defend against cavalry.
+1 to this. And the Welsh were known for their use of pikes as well.

Last edited:
where is that 2048 number from ? it could be since i usually eliminate enemy horse archers and cavalry first. so there would be a bunch of riderless horses while their second wave of reinforcement riders come in
Original mods that increased size battles were limited to this number, it is a programming thing (for example you got 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 GB HDDs or SSDs not 125, 250, 500, 1000 or 2000 GB).

Back
Top Bottom