Spear Bracing (1.6.2)

Users who are viewing this thread

MostBlunted

On probation
I won´t be able to play the game for a while to test this new feature so please share your experience with it, could be a great thing and could change the outcome of battles if it works and if the AI is able to use it.

MostBlunted

On probation

Testing spear bracing 👆
That was fast, thanks!

Ha, good point. Poor melee cavalry...
Next step, like with toddlers, one step before the other! I hope the realistic battle mod guys can improve this.

I love the mod but I think that cav is OP in this mod (still way better than everything <1.6.2 has to offer) but with those options they can make something awesome I hope. Relying on TW alone maybe in 6 months :wink:

vonbalt

Sergeant Knight
WBNWVCM&B
That was fast, thanks!

Next step, like with toddlers, one step before the other! I hope the realistic battle mod guys can improve this.

I like the mod but I think that cav is OP in this mod but with those options they can make something awesome I hope.
Have you tried the latest version of RBM that drastically improved infantry formations? i made a few very positive tests and in one (500 vs 500 all high tier units) had a legionary shieldwall absolutely trash a Vlandian cavalry charge, soak their crossbowmen bolts like they were flies and then hold against their infantry charge for minutes without breaking a sweat, in the end i separated a small 50 men force from the main shieldwall and used it to flank in skein formation to finish the Vlandians, it was simply... beautiful :ohdear:

No video here, but I find that the spear bracing works really well. I use Vlandian Pikemen for it and notice when in shield wall they'll brace when the cav is probably 25 meters from the formation and are already at full gallop - with archer support they stand no chance. Then you send in your own melee cav [chef's kiss] love it.

Ananda_The_Destroyer

Master Knight
Ha, good point. Poor melee cavalry...
OK. Seriously cavalry AI needs to be updated not to charge into spears like that.... WTF.
Or, here me out: Cav gets a special charge attack the player can order that IS committed and is more powerful (actually works) BUT of course if you choose to use it there's a chance the enemy can quickly spear brace against it and ef em over.
Cuz TBH Cav still totally sucks. Unless you have 50+ heavy Cav their charge barely does anything and they get btfo anyways. They don't know hot to hit with weapons :sad:

five bucks

Squire
Very glad to see it in the game. I like how it doesn't necessarily instagib all the cav. That's good.

Last edited:

Maelstrom8

Sergeant
WBWF&SNW
Whether it was influence from BestMods168 or an eventual feature, this is very good to see and that while it was a small patch, this is looking to be a good foundation for bigger stuff. I approve.

That being said, I will not be able to experience this for a while as I don't play beta patches. Back to my 1.6.0 hole. Might do some renovations for 1.6.1 stable.. it'll take a few weeks ya feel.

I constantly **** on this game and TW but this is a really good step in the right direction. I'm very glad they implemented this.

sabatonsky

Sergeant
OK. Seriously cavalry AI needs to be updated not to charge into spears like that.... WTF.
Well... i have 2 things to say about that:
1. the cavalry would till charge into the pikes, because of a simple thing: the impact of the hourse charging is bigger than the dencity of the spear. aka: it will break, and the line will break as well... Think of it as Winkelried moment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_von_Winkelried)
2. If you would change the cavalry AI, i htink it would kind of make them obsolete a bit. because, if not charging towards infantry what would (and could) they do?

But im not an expert, so if anyone has better info than i have, do tell :smile:

Antaeus

Sergeant at Arms

Testing spear bracing 👆
I'm loving all the horses rear up on impact... causing a pileup behind them.

The player should be able to counter this by charging from the flank. And in most situations the AI also prefers to charge from the flanks - unless they feel they have superiority - it might just be a tweak to this behaviour balance - keeping cavalry on the flanks and charging the centre with infantry.

Apocal

Grandmaster Knight
I won´t be able to play the game for a while to test this new feature so please share your experience with it, could be a great thing and could change the outcome of battles if it works and if the AI is able to use it.
There aren't enough troops with 230+ length polearms to impact battles in a normal playthrough. 230+ length is really, really long. I think only Vlandian pikemen have them by default but I haven't gone through all the troops yet.

I guess you could just recruit nothing but Vlandian pikemen but that gimps you in a lot of other ways.

Top Bottom