SP Sci-Fi SPACE: The Final Frontier

Users who are viewing this thread

It crossed my mind... However, only working with the human skeleton, it would be pretty hard for an Alien, yes? So, perhaps... Predators? Yes, I see it now. Human VS Predator. Of course, we would need new weapons:

Predator Spear\Trident (Two-Handed)
Predator Claws (Mmm... How to implement this?)
Predator Spikegun (Ranged Crossbow)
Predator Blaster (Ranged Firearm)

Different ranks of Predators, yes, it all works out. You've got your "Proving Hunter", the ones doing the hunting to earn their honor & all, your "War Hunter" to fight and defend hunter vessels, and your "Prime Hunter", the leader. Then their are different sub-classes of Hunters. Different types of weapons & armor, different strengths... Fast, agile hunters; slow, strong hunters; average hunters. The Prime Hunter would be unique, impossible to get via "upgrade". You would have to capture him... Ten to fifteen Proving Hunters, five or so War Hunters, and one Prime Hunter per ship.

And, how far can we take ship-to-ship combat? I started thinking about Yoshi's method, which is fine for Pirate ships, but not so fine for large corvettes and all. So I started writing up a basic outline of what I call "See-Saw Boarding". Basically, the point of the battle is to take the ship, not eliminate the crew. Which is why I thought of this:

Doors. It sounds so, simple, but it means so much. You fight five to ten people per battle. However, a complete boarding action is several battles. Why? Because you have to fight your way to the Command Center, which is where the final battle takes place. How do you do this? With doors. In every battle sequence (taking place in the hallways & corridors of the ships) there are two doors. So:

Battle I: The "Beachhead"
You, and four soldiers, start in the "Drop-pod" attached to the enemy's ship. Ten enemy soldiers stand between you and the next Airlock. In order to progress to the next battle you must eliminate them. Kha-ching, next battle.

Battle II: The "Corridor"
You, and eight soldiers, start in the enemy's ship corridors. Fourteen enemy soldiers stand between you and the Command Center Airlock. In order to progress to the next battle you must eliminate them. Kha-ching, next battle.

Battle III: The "Command Center"
You, and twelve soldiers, start in the enemy's Command Central. Eighteen enemy soldiers stand between you and taking the ship. In order to progress to the next battle you must eliminate them. Kha-ching, you win.

If at any battle you lose then you go to the previous battle. However, if you lose the "Beachhead" battle then you lose completely. This creates some serious See-Saw action until one side either reaches the end or one side loses all it's troops. Now, my question: Is it possible?

Also, those are wonderful models & textures Citizen!

-Dvd

Aliens... hmm great idea. It could be The Reason why there's no ship-to-ship combat, and all the action occurs inside the hull.

How about this idea:

The aliens are organic infestations, and they go around infesting and infiltrating human ships. You're a pest-exterminator or alien-hunter, and your job is to bust into infested ships and (a) rescue any infested crewmembers and (b) capture alien specimens for research. The aliens' goal is to infest your ship and take it over.

@DVD - its definantly possible, and quite a good idea as well. I had actually thought of a way to simulate the player controlling and firing the ships turrets on the exterior of the ship, but I don't know what use that would be, as you can't make a scene prop take damage!...Unless the goal is to take out the turrets of the other ship..which might be possible...hmm

Also, for an alien, I was thinking simply modelling it as armour, and making the troop that wears it ultra fast and ultra strong. Anyway, the whole mod doesn't need to be based around aliens, but I was thinking it would be cool to include parts of it, + fisheyes ideas sound good as well.

It's all really depends on what sounds best... And, commanding a turret does not sound best. Sorry Citizen, heh. What would be cool would be a style of combat similiar to Pirate Mod but not the same;

When first sighting a Ship (ie, running into it):
Approach ("Radio" Menu)
Retreat (If Being "Attacked", has a chance for the enemy to hit you while Retreating)
Do Nothing (Back to Map)

If "Approach":
Greet (Just general chatter about the current situation, ie; Gossip)
Trade (Trade Menu)
Order (Credits, Items, Crew, the Ship, all depending on your Military Rank.)
Fire Upon (Combat)

If Ordering:
Ordering has five stages; 5) No way, die scum! 4) No, leave. 3) I'd rather not\Ok, lets trade 4) Sure, here you go! 5) Have as much as you want.

If "Fire Upon":
Ships start five miles away, ten miles is retreat range. Three miles is firing range, one mile is boarding range. You have several options:
Manouvers (Defensive, Offensive, Normal, Speed)
Approach (0-2)
Retreat (0-2)
Firing (Aimed, Normal, Frenzied)
Fire

Now, this may seem odd but let me break it into small chunks:

Defensive Manouvers: 2 Speed, 75% Less Damage, 75% More Shields (Speed & Shields)
Offensive Manouvers: 0 Speed, 75% More Damage, 75% Less Shields (Stand & Fight!)
Normal Manouvers: 1 Speed, Normal Damage, Normal Shields (Approach & Fight)
Speed Manouvers: 2 Speed, 100% Less Damage, 100% Less Shields (Run Away!)

Firing:
Aimed Firing: 75% Higher Chance of Hitting, 75% Less Damage (Less Shots Fired)
Normal Firing: Normal Chance of Hitting, Normal Damage (Normal Shots Fired)
Frenzied Firing: 75% Lower Chance of Hitting, 75% More Damage (More Shots Fired)

Just some ideas, have no idea if the can be implemented or not.

-Dvd

First Citizen said:
@DVD - its definantly possible, and quite a good idea as well. I had actually thought of a way to simulate the player controlling and firing the ships turrets on the exterior of the ship, but I don't know what use that would be, as you can't make a scene prop take damage!...Unless the goal is to take out the turrets of the other ship..which might be possible...hmm

Maybe there are people on the enemy turrets and you have to shoot them?

Ok, I did, and removed the post so you quoted nothing :razz: Nice mod so far at the scenes of the shuttle.

A visit to the S-132-C0 "Frontier" federal police outpost.

Entering:
lookyvq2.jpg

The guard, under the watchful eye of the security camera:
getbackjb1.jpg

Getting clearance...
letmeinln6.jpg

Come in, gentlemen!
cominde1.jpg

Stay tuned for an alien! If I manage it. I can't seem to get it looking organic enough. If any one has any free time...
By the way DVD, if you want you might edit the thread title to reflect that theres images in here, to generate some interest. If you are considering using the stuff / like them that is.

The general "feeling" of what you are making is good, but not the actual vessels. "Frontier" of three levels, each one is a corridors that completely encircles a tube. All ship & futuristic corridors of a metallic sheen, and are very clean. No bolts or anything else. The outsides should use that texture, but thats all. The guard looks good except Frontier is sponsored by the USS Galactic Police Force. They should have white armor with blue shoulderguards & accents. Their are no straight corners, all are rounded. No straight sides, rounded. Ect, very round & clean. Thats what ships should be inside. Like the ship in I, Robot.

-Dvd

@DVD: ok, I'll see what I can do with those descriptions.

@Yoshiboy - cool. Quote from the page - "Feel free to use it however you like". And I stole the computer textures from x2: the threat (awesome game). But I was just having fun, and DVD wants things different anyway. Did I do anything wrong? Did I miss some sort of elitism going on here that says you must create all textures , even things which are clearly meant to be examples and not the final product by yourself?
Am I so stupid for not wanting to see another mod thread which is over 10 pages long but has jack all to show for it? Have you had enough rhetorical questions?

Great work First Citizen, keep it up. I don't give a **** where the textures come from and like you said the guy allows it.

First Citizen said:
@Yoshiboy - cool. Quote from the page - "Feel free to use it however you like". And I stole the computer textures from x2: the threat (awesome game). But I was just having fun, and DVD wants things different anyway. Did I do anything wrong? Did I miss some sort of elitism going on here that says you must create all textures , even things which are clearly meant to be examples and not the final product by yourself?
Am I so stupid for not wanting to see another mod thread which is over 10 pages long but has jack all to show for it? Have you had enough rhetorical questions?

Well, excuse me. I didn't notice i was so clear the one in the wrong here. Is it too much to think that it is a little lazy to take a texture from a tutorial teaching you how to make your own. You don't always have to create your own textures, but IMO to take one from a tutorial like that seems a little silly. Don't play the "elitism" card on me, go take a look at my texturing tutorial instead - that was completely unfair. When you have a mod thread that is 10 pages and jack to show for it and you stumble over a tutorial that tells you how to make a ship hull texture, i'm sure many people could tell you what your next step is likely to be.

I'm sorry, I had meant my post to be humorous, not as you seem to have taken it. I was just a little unsure why you had gone out of your way to well, try to make me look silly. Was it spite? I could understand if I had been flaunting my work about claiming that I was some kind of texturing God - but really all I did was post some images. To be honest I got the texture from a google image search - that it was part of a tutorial had no consequence to me. Perhaps I was lazy, but I wasn't working on anything releasable anyway, in fact, no one told me to do anything in the first place. I'll ask again: Is there some form of elitism around here that says every time I use a texture from somewhere else I will be roused on? I'm not playing any "cards", I'm asking a sincere question.
I've read your texturing tutorial and I enjoyed it. I'm not anywhere near as skilled as you and others in that field and thats obvious. I guess the rest of us with less time / skill will just have to pack up and move on :razz:

First Citizen said:
I'm sorry, I had meant my post to be humorous, not as you seem to have taken it. I was just a little unsure why you had gone out of your way to well, try to make me look silly. Was it spite? I could understand if I had been flaunting my work about claiming that I was some kind of texturing God - but really all I did was post some images. To be honest I got the texture from a google image search - that it was part of a tutorial had no consequence to me. Perhaps I was lazy, but I wasn't working on anything releasable anyway, in fact, no one told me to do anything in the first place. I'll ask again: Is there some form of elitism around here that says every time I use a texture from somewhere else I will be roused on? I'm not playing any "cards", I'm asking a sincere question.
I've read your texturing tutorial and I enjoyed it. I'm not anywhere near as skilled as you and others in that field and thats obvious. I guess the rest of us with less time / skill will just have to pack up and move on :p

I did not go "out of my way" to make you look silly, and certainly not out of spite. You seem to have managed to do that yourself with your reaction. Simply pointing out that the texture was from google, that it was temporary would have been perfectly enough - yet you had to have a go at me. If you didn't find it on the tutorial then that is fair enough. I was in the wrong for accusing your lazyness, I appologize.

Again, no - there is no form of elitism. How many modding communities have you been in before? The frowning on of using someone elses textures is pretty common, this community is nothing special, and nor are my actions. The community is far from elitist as i have said many time. You seemed to have missed the point of my refering to my tutorial. That tutorial along with many many other tutorials i have written and others have written are there to help newbies and the non-veterans in their modding. It is completely unfair to call "elitist" whenever a forum vet talks to you.

You also seem to have missed the point that my tutorial was not to flaunt my texturing skills, of which are not very amazing i admit, but to help other who don't have as much skill or time as some of us. I was not encouraging you to "pack up and move on", in fact, quite the opposite. Stop trying to cover your back with the "elitist" bull**** because it won't work - i've already got my back covered, i make sure of that.

Please highlight where you feel me to be "having a go" at you, so I can be more careful in future. I can't seem to find anywhere.

Also, I guess I'm wrong in my assumption that putting a :razz: after a statement indicates that it was intended to be light hearted.  :smile:

edit: ok, I forgot to capitalize it, you might have missed it. Oh well.

First Citizen said:
Please highlight where you feel me to be "having a go" at you, so I can be more careful in future. I can't seem to find anywhere.

Also, I guess I'm wrong in my assumption that putting a :razz: after a statement indicates that it was intended to be light hearted.  :smile:

edit: ok, I forgot to capitalize it, you might have missed it. Oh well.

:smile:

Look, if you didn't mean to cause any harm then i'm sorry for having a go at you, it's been a long few days for me over here, you have to forgive me. I hate having disputes and arguements.

Back
Top Bottom