Space Marines v. Space Marines

Who would win?

• Adeptus Astartes (Space Marines of the Imperium, WH40k)

Votes: 75 77.3%
  • Terran Space Marines (Army, Militia, Mercenaries of the Terran Empire)

Votes: 22 22.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

A gauss rifle can supposedly put something a half dozen times the speed sound out at an opponent, and that's only today's technology. And you'd think that fighting zergs like the ultralisk or the hydralisks would mean they had something that could pierce armor like that and have the experience to shoot that the points wherethere wasn't a whole lot of armor?

There wouldn't be any recoil from the rifle either, a Terran marine could just shoot at the red dot at a distance until it stops moving. Then he'll probably shoot it some more, experience possibly derived from fighting off zerglings all day.

I also forgot their needle guns.

Edit: My bad, it seems the gun does have high recoil, for some reason. Armor penetrating bullets also seem to be used in the guns.

hyperion said:
Unless of course the Terrans have some tanks.
In which case the assault squad is ****ed long before their buddies get close.
Would that be the assault squad which comes with melta bombs as standard, and is trained in anti armour ambush techniques?

Swadius said:
Dreadnaughts, are not part of the space marines.
Yes they are. They're mobile coffins for long since fallen battle brothers. The Codex Astartes actually designates them heavy infantry.

hyperion said:
The Terran battlecruisers have nukes especially for orbital bombardment.
The Imperium uses cyclonic torpedoes, a single one of which can ignite the atmosphere of a planet.

Swadius said:
A gauss rifle is like a mini mass driver. An I doubt that they used the metal we use for projectiles to fight Zergs and Protoss.
Tau utilise mass drivers too with their railguns and rail rifles, and they're at a higher tech level than either the Imperium or Terrans. And they still fail to consistently defeat Space Marines, despite having numeric advantage.

CJ1145 said:
Yeah, they'd be both fast, but by the same respect a cougar and a cheetah are both fast. Space Marines are built to be able to take any comers.
Space Marines are genetically modified to be stronger, tougher and faster than a 'normal' human. Their vital organs have redundant secondary organs designed to take over should the originals be damaged or fail in any way, enhanced muscle sheathes protect these organs and in some legions the skeleton itself is reinforced with adamantium or plasteel. They generally don't need to sleep, are capable of surviving without food or water for months, are immune to most poisons and can spit acid. And that's before you consider their equipment.
Bionic or cybernetic augmentation is necessary to allow the marine to interface with his armour. These implants also serve to boost both reaction time, perception and accuracy. The power armour itself is a self contained environment which includes numerous systems useful to the battlefield, including life support systems designed to assist the marine to withstand injury, onboard target and tactical computers, communications and limited self repair. The armour itself is powered to augment the marine's already enhanced strength, allowing them to wield bolters and heavy weapons with ease. The armour  is incredibly tough to crack, generally requiring munitions usually utilised in an anti-tank role. And that's the standard tactical armour, Tactical Dreadnought or Terminator armour was originally designed for workers within plasma reactors, an environment similar to what you would expect to find in the centre of a star.
Then of course you have the bolter, a gun designed to rapidly fire self propelled rockets capable of carrying a variety of payloads from explosive to chemical.

Archonsod said:
Space Marines are genetically modified to be stronger, tougher and faster than a 'normal' human. Their vital organs have redundant secondary organs designed to take over should the originals be damaged or fail in any way, enhanced muscle sheathes protect these organs and in some legions the skeleton itself is reinforced with adamantium or plasteel. They generally don't need to sleep, are capable of surviving without food or water for months, are immune to most poisons and can spit acid. And that's before you consider their equipment.
Bionic or cybernetic augmentation is necessary to allow the marine to interface with his armour. These implants also serve to boost both reaction time, perception and accuracy. The power armour itself is a self contained environment which includes numerous systems useful to the battlefield, including life support systems designed to assist the marine to withstand injury, onboard target and tactical computers, communications and limited self repair. The armour itself is powered to augment the marine's already enhanced strength, allowing them to wield bolters and heavy weapons with ease. The armour  is incredibly tough to crack, generally requiring munitions usually utilised in an anti-tank role.

And yet, in melee combat against the common orc... :lol:

Swadius said:
The WH40K marines look like all they can do while in their suits is waddle and stand still. And by actual medics, I mean people that actually have bandages and have a vagina.

Like I said in the other thread: APOTHECARIES.

Swadius said:
You're also forgetting drop ships. The Terran space marine corps totally beats out the WH40K ones in terms of sexual equality.

What does sexual equality have to do with a fighting force's effectiveness? The procedures for the creation of an Astartes only work on males, which is why there are only male Marines. If you wanted females in power armour, go to the Chamber Militant of the Ecclesiarchy.

The Terrans were Space Marines, except they stuck a vacuum in their ass and sucked out all the awesome

Internet scuttlebutt has it that Starcraft was originally developed from a failed attempt at making a WH40k game. I haven't seen any sources to back this up, but it sounds (vaguely) plausible, and it certainly would explain the startling similarities.

I think Spess Mehrens are tougher than orks, based on what little experience I have after playing the first W40K game. The one with blood raven campaigns.

Night Ninja said:
Swadius said:
The WH40K marines look like all they can do while in their suits is waddle and stand still. And by actual medics, I mean people that actually have bandages and have a vagina.

Everybody knows apothecaries only make you more comfortable while you die, medics actually save lives! It's a fluffy stain resistant pillow versus the healing hands of a beautiful maiden in power armor.

Swadius said:
You're also forgetting drop ships. The Terran space marine corps totally beats out the WH40K ones in terms of sexual equality.

What does sexual equality have to do with a fighting force's effectiveness?

Well I thought it would be relevant to compare all of their aspects, not just their combat abilities since it was never explicitly specified.

This whole argument is stupid, because the whole basis for Space Marines is basically "lol let's just make some ultra-uber badass warriors because teenage males like that kind of ****". The only way they could have tried harder to appeal to that demographic is if they stuck some tits on them. Of course Space Marines would win, because their whole identity is practically one big "I win" button. Which is why they are so very, very lame.

Nah, they're not really insta-win. They're badass and all, but they lose out in firepower to several races, they're dead meat if they get properly swamped by Orks and 'Nids and they're too slow to catch up with an Eldar/Dark Eldar player who realises he has to keep retreating. They're ****ing badass, but they aren't a big "I win" button.

The Immortal God-Emperor's Finest - Adeptus Astartes, the Angels of Death would kick a Terran's ass.

I think 20 squad of fully upgraded marine is an 'I win' button waiting to be pressed no matter what the situation is in any skirmish game.

AWdeV said:
Nah, they're not really insta-win. They're badass and all, but they lose out in firepower to several races, they're dead meat if they get properly swamped by Orks and 'Nids and they're too slow to catch up with an Eldar/Dark Eldar player who realises he has to keep retreating. They're ****ing badass, but they aren't a big "I win" button.

You don't understand, I'm not referring to actual gameplay, I'm referring to how Space Marines are treated in the WH40k canon. Of course for the actual game they had to introduce some balance.

Night Ninja said:
Swadius said:

Swadius said:

What does sexual equality have to do with a fighting force's effectiveness? The procedures for the creation of an Astartes only work on males, which is why there are only male Marines. If you wanted females in power armour, go to the Chamber Militant of the Ecclesiarchy.

The Terrans were Space Marines, except they stuck a vacuum in their ass and sucked out all the awesome

Internet scuttlebutt has it that Starcraft was originally developed from a failed attempt at making a WH40k game. I haven't seen any sources to back this up, but it sounds (vaguely) plausible, and it certainly would explain the startling similarities.

Failed, I would hazard the game is rather successfull, that said, Blizzard is not a really original producer, a good one though.

Mage246 said:
AWdeV said:

You don't understand, I'm not referring to actual gameplay, I'm referring to how Space Marines are treated in the WH40k canon. Of course for the actual game they had to introduce some balance.

What? They're beset on all sides so they have to be ****ing badass. Which part of canon are you talking about?

Zilber: It isn't a 40K game, so in that respect, it failed.

For some reason Starcraft is more popular than W40K on either ends, so it doesn't matter.

Just look at that OLOLOL STARCRAFT TUTUTUTU!!!!!11oneoneone!shift+one1!shift+one!! hype going on.

Starcraft will beat W40K, no matter what, original or no.

AWdeV said:
Mage246 said:
AWdeV said:

What? They're beset on all sides so they have to be ****ing badass. Which part of canon are you talking about?

Zilber: It isn't a 40K game, so in that respect, it failed.

Of course they're beset on all sides, that's the only way they could justify SM uberness. It's all just a vehicle designed to give the SM more chances to do the impossible over and over again, ad infinitum ad nauseam.

Back
Top Bottom