Sources and Books and Stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Slytacular

Sergeant Knight
Hey guys, because I've enjoyed playing Vikingr, it has caused me to pillage my local libraries for books on Vikings. Lately I've been shifting through the threads here in the Vikingr sub-forum and I'm learning more about the Norse than a single expert could fill in his share of a book. I'm asking you guys where are you getting most of your information from? Are there any books you can recommend me too?

I hope I don't misuse this thread, but for searching anything beyond the "basics" I found it quite useful to just use the filetype function of google. Often you find really interesting stuff in some pdf files, because they were probably done with the idea of really containing information and not just slapping some "historical stuff" on the internet page. So in many cases a simple search with whatever you want to find and filetype:pdf is quite useful. I have to say though that by now I am convinced that of all the sources educational material is one of the worst kinds, I have just found so much wrong stuff as material for schools...

Theres also this page, containing quite a bit of information about places in England:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/Default.aspx

Unfortunately the early medieval times seem rather unpopular, and so many places history only starts with Norman noblemen building a church, or even worse you get to know about what the romans did.... and then suddenly theres the Normans, so that the anglo-saxon period is left out entirely.

I also just yesterday found this highly interesting page, containing finds in england with photos and descriptions:
http://finds.org.uk/database/search/results/objecttype/scabbard/page/1
in this search for example one gets an entire list of scabbards found there.

Apart from these there are few "static sources" though, and in most cases its better to find something that is specialized on what you are looking for. For wikipedia the infamous fallibility applies in some regards, although its not too bad. Only if you are interested in special dates and details there might be some inconsistencies.

I have to agree. The only times my school nears the Anglo-Saxon period was when I'm in my 12th grade English class discussing about Beowulf. And we weren't even reading the real deal anyways.

Back
Top Bottom