Sound Design needs improvement

Users who are viewing this thread

Revverie

Sorry but after playing Mordhau this game sound feels lacking (wip)

Last edited:
It could be improved? of course, everything is subject to improvement. However, to say that it is poor and not immersive is to criticize without any foundation (with love I say it). For being a one man army's work it is quite correct the result.

There are open threads where interesting ideas have been discussed regarding the sound section in the battles. The most recent, where to find interesting ideas are this and this.

But since we are here, let's give some feedback. @Revverie , how do you think Bannerlord could improve in this aspect? Seeing as you brought it up, how does the audio differ from Mordhau and Bannerlord? Explain yourself with critical and honest criteria; the devs are always watching :cool: .

I disagree with the OP, the sound design could be improved (specially adding more variations) but it's not bad at all and it's one of the strongest parts of bannerlord (even more so if compared to warband's ARHHHHHG DIE YE BASTERD!)

we need more variety of war screams & death sounds. I agree on these, but the overall sound design is good imho. It can obviously get better

This. The sound effects are great, and the music pulls me in much more than Warband. But, the voice lines sound a bit strange when pitched way up or down. Could be better but its a secondary issue for me.

It could be improved? of course, everything is subject to improvement. However, to say that it is poor and not immersive is to criticize without any foundation (with love I say it). For being a one man army's work it is quite correct the result.

There are open threads where interesting ideas have been discussed regarding the sound section in the battles. The most recent, where to find interesting ideas are this and this.

But since we are here, let's give some feedback. @Revverie , how do you think Bannerlord could improve in this aspect? Seeing as you brought it up, how does the audio differ from Mordhau and Bannerlord? Explain yourself with critical and honest criteria; the devs are always watching :cool: .
I'll make a video showcasing why I think it's poor

I think the sounds themselves are okay. There just seems to be bugs with things like terrain sounds that throw things off (horseback trotting over open/rocky terrain often gives the impression that you are riding your horse on a wooden pier rather than open/rocky terrain) or females sounding like really deep voiced men in the arena. There also seems to be issues with so many sounds that it gives off that static noise, though that seems to have improved a bit since I played in the summer. I'm not a sound guy so I'd be shooting in the dark as to what exactly causes that or how to fix it. But generally the sounds themselves are decent to good.

We need more Wilhelm screams...you know...arrow hits, soldier falls down the parapet of the castle -> Wilhelm scream, soldier gets stuck with a spear -> Wilhelm scream, facing all CAV with all archer in MP -> Wilhelm scream

Enough jokes. I think the sound design is good but still has room to improve. Parrying sounds are one thing that could get more love. Maybe sword-weapons making a whizzing sound when swinging, more different reactions to damage, warcries and similar could make the current situation better.
Btw.: I like the title theme very much....reminds me a bit of Basil Poledouris (Conan the Barbarian). Nice touch and maybe a bit more of this for epic scenes.

Honestly I think sound design is lacking, mostly because it's repetitive.
Adding some more sounds variety and improving the "accuracy" of the sounds would be appreciated.
I will leave this here if anyone wants to take a look:

Sounds are decent but a little lackluster because they lack "the feel" of the sound. When we experience extremely dynamic sounds like metal clanking on metal, especially if we are holding that metal -the vibration and high pitch intensities effect our brains in a far more visceral way. Its kinda like the game is too literal and not takin human experience/artistic expression into account letting us experience the sound rather than just hear it.

Music is top notch tho

Back
Top Bottom