B Musket Era Sound and Smoke FX Mod v3.0 up!

Users who are viewing this thread

RavenHawk88 said:
Any chance you could expend it to other sounds? Like melee, horses, etc?
Yes please. Is amazing how much of an impact sound can have on the gameplay experience.
Maybe something with the cavalry charge to feel a little bit "heavier"

cool, thanks, ghost. i am curious where he got them from. i have a large gun sounds library but this is like the third time i've had to go scrounging around for musket sounds because i've never had any good ones.

haus: well, that is almost exactly what bullets traveling at supersonic speeds will sound like passing by your head. if i can be immodest, it is my favorite feature of the mod, haha. not everybody is a fan of authenticity, though, so i understand.

shakauvm: what is your battle size set to? my system is mid-range and i only see slow downs from smoke when i have about 300 combatants on screen. if i get more feedback on this i may release a modified version that lowers the particle count and lifetime of the smoke. as for the supersonic snaps, see above. i should post a video for that, huh? that is what it sounds like, i assure you.

pulsar: yeah, i wish i could fix that. it is a bit too bright.

here is a good video of what a supersonic snap sounds like. it's actually louder than the ones i've put in the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdzdXExRrSM
notice how you hear the snap of the bullet THEN the gun shot itself. this is the sound i am trying to capture. you can hear how the snap itself is so loud that it can almost be mistaken for the gunshot.

No problem solecist  and i am not sure where he got them from, but i will send him another PM :smile:

I have not a lot of testing but i did get some slow down with the added smoke.

120 is my set max fps.

When about 100-200 muskets are fired my fps did drop to around 80.

Not a big deal and like you said about 300 troops it might effect fps a lot more.

I am not sure if it's a cpu fps hit or gpu or both.

My specs 5870 and amd 955 3.6.

xenoargh said:
Oh, btw, most of these weapons didn't fire supersonic.

of the very few mentions i have seen of this on the internet, the only references i see concerning matchlock and wheel-lock muzzle velocities list them as being faster than the speed of sound. if you have other sources i am absolutely interested, though. the sound changes are done for aesthetic reasons, but right now i feel that they're authentic as well...if i found out otherwise i would still probably keep the sounds. :razz:

@RavenHawk88: why would you even mess with sounds.txt? if that particular sound mod doesn't alter file names you should just be able to plop the ogg files in the same folder as my sounds. maybe he added new sounds, though, in which case it would become far more complicated. personally i only deal with firearm-related sounds, so i will not be expanding it beyond that.

How do you install this mod? Just overwriting the files doesn't appeal, and dropping the folder into the Mods folder, isn't working for me.

solecist said:
@RavenHawk88: why would you even mess with sounds.txt? if that particular sound mod doesn't alter file names you should just be able to plop the ogg files in the same folder as my sounds. maybe he added new sounds, though, in which case it would become far more complicated. personally i only deal with firearm-related sounds, so i will not be expanding it beyond that.

Yeah, it added some additional sounds for more variety, etc.

Too bad you won't expand though. But still thanks for the awesome musket sounds :grin:

hrodn88 said:
How do you install this mod? Just overwriting the files doesn't appeal, and dropping the folder into the Mods folder, isn't working for me.

look at the directions in the first post again. go through it step by step. it's very easy, so you're probably just missing a step.

solecist said:
hrodn88 said:

look at the directions in the first post again. go through it step by step. it's very easy, so you're probably just missing a step.

Thanks! I missed that.

Just dropping in to say thanks. This fine little mod really does make a load of difference. Ambience is everything.
I'm a footslogger at heart. The first thing I usually do whe starting a new game is sell my horse and those of my companions.
So now I can finally stand in the firing line with my musketeers and all around me the shots crack and bullets whirr past me and I fire my trusty musket, followed by two shots from the dutch pistol if the enemy is too close for comfort and I actually can't see **** in front of me because of the smoke. All I can do is guess and listen. Listen to the screams in the fog. Screams and carnage. Thats how a battle should feel. Real men fight on foot. :grin:
Truly awesome mod, thanks again.

are you asking for permission to convert it to another mod or are you asking if you can just plop it down in that mod folder and play? i give you (and anyone else) permission to do whatever you want with the mod, but it will require some work to convert it.

ah well I was wondering if I can use it with a mod I already have for Warband. I did not like the sounds of the muskets so I thought I can replace them using your files, but yeah It will need some modifications

Back
Top Bottom