Something strange in the neighborhood

Users who are viewing this thread

So I am currently the owner of one town and one castle.
I have a full garrison in both.
I am also cheating, and through that, I made a discovery that maybe someone can explain.

I noticed my castle would periodically be attack but I would not get notified until it seemed the garrison had depleted and only the local militia would be left. I would warp back there and thwart off the attackers. After the 4th time, I noticed that every time I checked the castle manpower before I arrive, it would be 435 wounded which is the exact number of garrison troops. Note that none died, just wounded.

So I decided to jump back there every so often and check to catch anyone on their way there. Not a few seconds after jumping away from there, I get a notice my castle is already under attack, yet I saw no one near it a moment ago. And guess what, again my wounded is 435 with only the militia left. Also to note, the attacking force was just over 200 troops with NO DEAD OR WOUNDED. So it seems once I get far enough away, the castle will randomly go into the advanced stages of a besiegement.

I also notice that if its not a castle of my own, I get an icon on the screen the moment it comes under attack and THOSE I have more than enough time to get to because those besiegement's seem to be running the normal routine.

This seems to be a really annoying mechanic designed to force you to lose a castle no matter what, since without cheats you would not be able to get there in time as your castle starts out on its last leg.

Just to note; I dont use mods, just used the command console for gold and teleporting around. anyone else come across this?

All the garrison wounded only in sieges? Check again during peace time or at least while not besieged, as it seems that the problem is that you have garrison bigger than what your food stocks can provide, and thus your men are unable to fight (militia doesnt contribute to food consumption, neither gets affected by famine).

They show as normal during peace time. Standard numbers of 435 garrison and 137-/+ militia. Oddly enough the castle is not having any internal issues. My city on the other hand has been hell to manage. EDIT: Food is up in the castle.

Haven't finished your post but I'm pretty certain your garrison is staving out, then AI magically knows when they have starved and come to siege it, then you get the message. They don't die when they starve in recent versions, they just get KO'd.

Standard numbers of 435 garrison
This is an outrageous amount of garrison for a castle (or a town). Castle can't possibly get that much food and you can't give them any food. Hard to know for sure, but I think it's a food problem and you're misunderstanding what it's showing you.

Haven't finished your post but I'm pretty certain your garrison is staving out, then AI magically knows when they have starved and come to siege it, then you get the message. They don't die when they starve in recent versions, they just get KO'd.

This is an outrageous amount of garrison for a castle (or a town). Castle can't possibly get that much food and you can't give them any food. Hard to know for sure, but I think it's a food problem and you're misunderstanding what it's showing you.
Yep, that's it. I barely keep 50-70 as garrison in my actual castles, otherwise they would starve (which I dont mind 😈) but I would get no fracking income from that fief 😄
To OP: get as much militia as possible, not garrison. Build militia barracks or training ground ir whatever it is called and if situation allows, a governor with + militia/day perk(s).....and don't cheat! 🤭

Yep, that's it. I barely keep 50-70 as garrison in my actual castles, otherwise they would starve (which I dont mind 😈) but I would get no fracking income from that fief 😄
To OP: get as much militia as possible, not garrison. Build militia barracks or training ground ir whatever it is called and if situation allows, a governor with + militia/day perk(s).....and don't cheat! 🤭
While I support having a low garrison ( I do like 40 or 50) I just wanna mention that if you loyalty goes to low (I think under 20?) the militia won't help in a siege anymore and the AI know it, so it will come scoop up the fiefs. I dump 40-50 guys in, turn off the dum projects the AI has on and say GOOD LUCK CASLTE 🤡 💊 🤡

I babysit new castle for a while to get loyalty at steady level and then built at least milita training level 1 if missing or level 2 if 1 is alredy there to boost militia recruitment. I usually leave my wife there as she has some good militia recruitment boosting perks. After the castle reach 200+ militia I also cancel all of those projects and just leave the happy castle dwellers with festivals forever 😄🍻

The garrison food thing is such poor design. It's obvious after playing for awhile that the game doesn't want you have more than 200 troops in a garrison. So why don't they just set the limit to 200 instead of it being so much higher? Why are there perks and building upgrades that increase the garrison limit when there's no way in hell that you'll ever be able to feed that many? Its nothing more than a trap for new players. Any sensible player is going to see that their garrison fits 500 guys and they're gonna put 500 guys in there and then they are going to freak out when all their troops are starved. Its so stupid.

Indeed it is 🤷🏻‍♂️
On top of it, medieval castles were built in a manner to defend them with as little garrison as possible. Less hungry stomachs, longer the castle can endure the siege. But most of the castle designs in the game are laughable least to say.

Back
Top Bottom