something needs to be done about archers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Archers are not op at all. I would like to refer you to some posts that were made about shield hitboxes. Sometimes people shooting at the side of someone whilst he blocks in front and he still blocks ur shot, its totally bigger than the actual shield u can see. Archers arent OP, Cav is. But cav will get nerfed 100% is coming patches.

To re-iterate, archers are probably not all that strong, it's just that cav reigns supreme, and infantry feels weak as ****.

If they disabled vertical aim correction as well instead of having it by default people wouldn't be snipers within 5 minutes of gameplay as well.

If they disabled vertical aim correction as well instead of having it by default people wouldn't be snipers within 5 minutes of gameplay as well.

I think this is a big reason why archers seem overpowered. But their damage stats are generally higher than Warbands equivalents, and especially among the stronger Recurve bows the damage output to fire rate is terrifying when combined with faster bow and other perks.

Longbows seem to be in a better place though, the high damage has the downside of a long draw time that can lead to missed opportunities or wasted shots. As said, until the overshadowing cavalry nerf comes through though, the extent to their strength is hard to determine.

Honestly the most broken thing about Archers atm are armor value's so if anything was to be nerfed imo it should be that
Agreed I always thought of archers as having much worse stats as infantry. Rn they are better and that just doesn’t vibe with me

Archers are not op at all. I would like to refer you to some posts that were made about shield hitboxes. Sometimes people shooting at the side of someone whilst he blocks in front and he still blocks ur shot, its totally bigger than the actual shield u can see. Archers arent OP, Cav is. But cav will get nerfed 100% is coming patches.

Shields need an even bigger invisible hitbox for archery to begin to be balanced. If you want 1:1 realism go larping.

All the peope saying "just dodge" need to stop posting. Crossbow bolts are nearly invisible, cannot be heard in the air, and movement is so slow dodging is extremely hard.

Vertical aim correction needs to go, or be tweaked as to not compensate for arrow drop when compared to 1st person crosshair, and any further balance can be taken from there. Not having to adjust for range makes aiming as an archer too easy and forgiving

Honestly the most broken thing about Archers atm are armor value's so if anything was to be nerfed imo it should be that

And that will not change, there was a post(linked not long ago in another thread) that petmonster went into depth as to why they(the devs) found the fiann fun to play, and gave every faction a "heavy archer" class because they are so "fun". What they don't think about is "why are other classes un-fun" or rather "is it fun to play against this?" and most of the time the answer is no.

It's frustrating as hell to finally reach a fiann who's done nothing but shoot and scoot, he pulls out a 2 handed weapon that one shots me and I've got to ping him with my ****ty sword 5 times to get a guaranteed kill. I have to spam "perfectly" so as to not give him an opportunity to swing back, because most inexperienced players literally just start swinging and all it takes is one mistake for me to ****ing die and he can **** up several times and still walk away. If that's fun for the devs to make a mistake 4 times and still not get punished then yeah, the native games balance is doomed.

And that will not change, there was a post(linked not long ago in another thread) that petmonster went into depth as to why they(the devs) found the fiann fun to play, and gave every faction a "heavy archer" class because they are so "fun". What they don't think about is "why are other classes un-fun" or rather "is it fun to play against this?" and most of the time the answer is no.

It's frustrating as hell to finally reach a fiann who's done nothing but shoot and scoot, he pulls out a 2 handed weapon that one shots me and I've got to ping him with my ****ty sword 5 times to get a guaranteed kill. I have to spam "perfectly" so as to not give him an opportunity to swing back, because most inexperienced players literally just start swinging and all it takes is one mistake for me to ****ing die and he can **** up several times and still walk away. If that's fun for the devs to make a mistake 4 times and still not get punished then yeah, the native games balance is doomed.
The devs actually aren’t gonna nerf the fiann, one of the best 2h classes? I literally pick fiann and drop the bow most of the time in tdm because they are such good infantry and I just wanna **** around... what

IMO how to balance archer
  1. Get rid of vertical aim correction
  2. Extend active shields ranges for most foot shields. Make it so foot shots are hard to hit, the average shield should cover a little less than the Varyag shields current coverage.
  3. Greatly reduce the range of passive shield blocks, passive shields blocks should not be half as reliable as they are against projectiles. In extreme cases when a Sturgian inf jumps on a horse they are completely unhittable from the front and most of their side angles. Overall passive shield coverage is way too big which is why we see weird blocks on arrows coming in from behind you and weird blocks by infantry getting shot while on the ground. The passive shield coverage should probably be significantly less than the shields actual size or shield models should be made smaller. Thinking about it I don't remember passive shield coverage ever being reliable in Warband, that may be because it seems to be larger than the shield in this game (In warband passive shield coverage seemed to only activate if the hit was right in the center of shield while running with it), or it may be because shield models are ridiculously large compared to the player model and the angle at which it's carried makes it far more likely to block arrows.
  4. Lower archer armor (Heavy archer armor stats should probably look like a wildling, with maybe more if you take improved armor)
  5. Don't give archers 2h swords
  6. Give every faction a heavy inf, also give classes such as Oathsworn maces to account for the faction being archer heavy and archers getting nerfed.
  7. Nerf throwing weapons hard, or make them harder to obtain. They are way too strong across the board, and are already very strong against archers.
As an archer player, I think these changes would make archer a more reasonable class to play against, but probably still very fun to play with the core gameplay of it being similar.

The devs actually aren’t gonna nerf the fiann, one of the best 2h classes? I literally pick fiann and drop the bow most of the time in tdm because they are such good infantry and I just wanna **** around... what
They already nerfed the heavy archers once during the beta. Before their armor was pretty much on par with heavy infantry. Even now I don't really agree with the inclusion of heavy archers as they are (best ranged, arguably best melee besides HI, some SI and HC).

One issue with how archery is in Bannerlord is that it seems like the equipment for most classes was designed around the incorrect notion that archery isn't strong nor accurate. Except for heavy infantry, the sharpshooter, and Aseria's tribal warrior and skirmisher, no class has access to shields that visually look like they can prevent legshots, and in practice they can't. For archer classes this isn't really any different from Warband, but for some cavalry classes and the other infantry classes, this means you don't really have a safe direct way to deal with archers, even in a 1v1 scenario, unlike Warband. Arguably, this is a failing of the class system forcing heavy restrictions on certain playstyles, but I think it's also a failing on the developers' understanding of MP combat or them choosing in favour of realism/faction themes over balance.

Back
Top Bottom