Some of my towns have become unenterable

Users who are viewing this thread

Lonewarrior

Sergeant
A town and a single village can no longer be entered and I don’t know why.
They are not located on any impassable navmesh, in fact no matter where I move them on the map nothing happens when you click on them and npcs just wait outside.
I’ve tried all over the map so it must be something to do with the settlement itself, I’ve checked the settlements.xml and the entrance is located roughly at the same location as the town itself so it can’t be that as that seems correct.
They are above ground with plenty of room, what is going on?

A town and a single village can no longer be entered and I don’t know why.
They are not located on any impassable navmesh, in fact no matter where I move them on the map nothing happens when you click on them and npcs just wait outside.
I’ve tried all over the map so it must be something to do with the settlement itself, I’ve checked the settlements.xml and the entrance is located roughly at the same location as the town itself so it can’t be that as that seems correct.
They are above ground with plenty of room, what is going on?
The only thing I can think of is the collision mesh. Every settlement has an invisible spherical collision mesh. It will be named bo_whatevername. Select it and in its physics panel tick the box show physics to make it visible. Check if you have displaced its position (vs positioning on working settlements), which may be blocking your ai. Afterwards, remember to untick show physics to make it invisible again.

At one point during tools testing I managed to select a village and move it halfway across the world without its collision object. The village's orange bounding box stretched from the sea to the mountains.

I assume the critical issue for entry into a settlement scene is proximity to the gate. Your collision object should cover it but not by so much that parties can't get close enough to enter.

I'm just guessing. Your problem could be something else. Let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only thing I can think of is the collision mesh. Every settlement has an invisible spherical collision mesh. It will be named bo_whatevername. Select it and in its physics panel tick the box show physics to make it visible. Check if you have displaced its position (vs positioning on working settlements), which may be blocking your ai. Afterwards, remember to untick show physics to make it invisible again.

At one point during tools testing I managed to select a village and move it halfway across the world without its collision object. The village's orange bounding box stretched from the sea to the mountains.

I assume the critical issue for entry into a settlement scene is proximity to the gate. Your collision object should cover it but not by so much that parties can't get close enough to enter.

I'm just guessing. Your problem could be something else. Let me know how it turns out.

As far as I can see the collision under bo_town is a sphere and it’s the same for every town on the map, they seem to be in the same ish area on the town to all the other towns so this didn’t help I’m afraid although I did find a 3rd town, I may have to risk deleting the towns and creating a new town under the same id which hopefully won’t cause crashes.

Upvote 0
As far as I can see the collision under bo_town is a sphere and it’s the same for every town on the map, they seem to be in the same ish area on the town to all the other towns so this didn’t help I’m afraid although I did find a 3rd town, I may have to risk deleting the towns and creating a new town under the same id which hopefully won’t cause crashes.
That's a pity. If the problem settlements were Native one's you repositioned, you could try opening Main_map's scene.xscene file and copying the original entries from there into your new world's scene.xscene file (overwriting the problem ones) and see if that gets them operational again if back in their start positions.

Upvote 0
That's a pity. If the problem settlements were Native one's you repositioned, you could try opening Main_map's scene.xscene file and copying the original entries from there into your new world's scene.xscene file (overwriting the problem ones) and see if that gets them operational again if back in their start positions.
Ok what would I use to open that file?
At first I thought you meant open and copy them directly in the editor but that doesn’t seem to work.
If I copy the entry and then open another file I can’t paste it from the previous file I opened.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok what would I use to open that file?
At first I thought you meant open and copy them directly in the editor but that doesn’t seem to work.
If I copy the entry and then open another file I can’t paste it from the previous file I opened.
You can use Notepad++ to open the scene.xscene file. I think NPC means you open the scene.xscene of both your map and the base main map and copy the information for those problem towns from the base game main map to your map, to overwrite whatever you might have done to the custom towns that messed them up

Upvote 0
You can use Notepad++ to open the scene.xscene file. I think NPC means you open the scene.xscene of both your map and the base main map and copy the information for those problem towns from the base game main map to your map, to overwrite whatever you might have done to the custom towns that messed them up
Ah yeah I never knew you could edit those files with that, I had a quick look but I think I’ll do it tomorrow on a fresh day, as far as I can see there shouldn’t be any issue with that method.

Upvote 0
Ok to update I tried that but when you try and open it in the editor After you have edited the scene.xscene it just doesnt load the map.

There is no error, no “not responding” it just hangs for hours trying to open the map.

Upvote 0
what does it do? like just a blank black screen

So I kinda fixed it, but it keeps scaling up the size of the cities to the size of the map, I’ve scaled it down but it causes graphical errors all over the screen when you besiege it, but that seems like a lesser of two glitches as long as the town is working now, which it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom