Some ideas from Warband/VC that I am happy they don't exist in BL

Users who are viewing this thread

Dreed89

Squire
This is only to share my reasons on why some ideas from Warband/VC would not necessarily make the game better.

For me, especially VC has so many cheap ideas/text-based features that pollute the game. This is where I partly agree with TW that more features would takeaway from the integrity of the game. Please note that these are mostly text-based ideas. I would of course love features like manhunters (Warband), special locations (VC), lord intrigues/duels (Warband), etc. I certainly don't support TW scrapping ideas here and there because they are complex, and a lot of times in the past voiced my take on this.

Anyway, here are a few example ideas that I find cheap and happy that they are not in the game:
  • Units losing morale at sea
  • Units consuming wine in player's inventory
  • Sharing loot so units gain morale
  • Random event popups that modify morale or renown based on decision
  • ... (other similar text-based events/choices)
For me, these do not add immersion. They are just easy/cheap text-based tweaks on the game code.

They just aim to squeeze the most possible stuff into the already limited game features and that makes the game dirty to my eyes.

What the game needs for immersion is more interaction with NPCs that impact the world, more dialogue options about the world state, more scene/town interactions, deeper lord relations, distinct NPC and factions behaviors, etc.

Which features of the previous games do you find unnecessary and you are happy don't exist in BL?

I'm not the greatest historical accuracy freak, but, in the middle ages troops would prefer wine & beer over water, because these drinks were just so much safer than water. This is also (part of) the reason wine & beer were popular in monasteries. I would like it better if there was a mechanic that your troops will get typhoid if you don't have alcoholic drinks in the inventory.

But we don't even get to sail at sea or have sea battles.
BL should have a army inventory and personal possessions inventory area based on status. Lord/King/Leader would have personal things kept to themselves
Don't disagree but i have a problem with morale and tw in general. Army is getting paid and fed but desert if they haven't fought in a day
BL should have evolved and expanded from this. This was something that made me as a player feel involved in the world. Sometimes even feeling the game having messengers. Scenes like this should be part of feast, tavern visits, walking amongst NPC in Castle, towns, cities, settlements, and hideouts.

I'm not the greatest historical accuracy freak, but, in the middle ages troops would prefer wine & beer over water, because these drinks were just so much safer than water. This is also (part of) the reason wine & beer were popular in monasteries. I would like it better if there was a mechanic that your troops will get typhoid if you don't have alcoholic drinks in the inventory.
This sounds like something good for a mod not in the base game, for many people things like this become a chore. I don't want troops dying because I can't find enough alcohol for my troops and I don't care to have to go from town to town looking for it.

Interesting idea especially with regards to holding out a siege, but the game is a grind fest to troop build and losing troops via "Oregon trail dysentery" style would piss me off. Also, I doubt the AI would not have the same problems i would.

This is the most annoying thing in mods for Warband. Random text choice stuff that you will memorize at some point and always pick the same thing because you know what it does. How is that immersive? Finding the same poor farmer from time to time and doing the same thing over and over...

This exemplifies the point I want to make a lot better than my wall of text, thank you very much for helping me and describing it better.
This is the most annoying thing in mods for Warband. Random text choice stuff that you will memorize at some point and always pick the same thing because you know what it does. How is that immersive? Finding the same poor farmer from time to time and doing the same thing over and over...

While I also agree with the other posts in this thread, my aim is not to discuss specific features. The said features may even be realistic too. (Not all realistic ideas are suitable to games. Games aim for playability first.) The above quoted statement is what I in fact want to point out. This is not saying that Warband was a bad game.

As the above poster said it, I am specifically against the idea of memorizing the text-based stuff. The game then becomes like a calculator.

Now I remember another example: The dialogue choices in VC. Option A gives +5 relation and Option B gives -5. This leads to memorizing the better option and picking it all the time. Immersion is not this.

It is not text-based choices that add the immersion, it is how different and well-thought features of the game play-out in harmony. A fine example would be the bandits appearing near villages and affecting its production and available quests.

Units consuming wine in player's inventory
Well who the **** is drinking all the wine in my party in Bannerlord?

Sharing loot so units gain morale
This was kinda interesting as so was burying the dead or not. I can take it or leave it though.

Random event popups that modify morale or renown based on decision
Yeah I don't really like random stuff TBH.

Which features of the previous games do you find unnecessary and you are happy don't exist in BL?
.....nothing? I don't think there was anything in Warband that wouldn't be a good addition or option in Bannerlord. I even like vassalship better in warband. As a vassal it's easy to get in good and get whatever you want. As a ruler you can collect honorable loyal lords (if you're honorable...) and have great time. You could even kinda tell them to do stuff. I guess I don't miss being jumped by bandits in town or the belligerent drunk, but even they would spice it up a little bit.

Well who the **** is drinking all the wine in my party in Bannerlord?

This was kinda interesting as so was burying the dead or not. I can take it or leave it though.

Yeah I don't really like random stuff TBH.

.....nothing? I don't think there was anything in Warband that wouldn't be a good addition or option in Bannerlord. I even like vassalship better in warband. As a vassal it's easy to get in good and get whatever you want. As a ruler you can collect honorable loyal lords (if you're honorable...) and have great time. You could even kinda tell them to do stuff. I guess I don't miss being jumped by bandits in town or the belligerent drunk, but even they would spice it up a little bit.
ah the good ol' belligerent drunk... that crazy bastard. Yes warband did give PTSD when it comes to bandits in towns, and I'm sure many of us were expecting to be jumped on at the beginning of bannerlord development too

Don't disagree but i have a problem with morale and tw in general. Army is getting paid and fed but desert if they haven't fought in a day
yeah it's kinda weird. You'd think they would gain a morale bonus for not having to die in the battlefield. But, as the death balls show, they do want to speedrun their life after all

While you feed your army and pay their wages morale should not be problem. There is no big morale penalties other than these two. Maybe you did not pay or feed them for several days then you started paying / feeding? In that case you get some penalty and it is effecting morale for several days more even you pay / feed. Do you have a sample save file for your problem?

That is not entirely accurate.
(start at 10:50)

That is not entirely accurate.
Well obviously I made a generalisation, and generalisations concerning lengthy periods & multiple regions and cultures are never entirely accurate, but nevertheless the lack of clean drinking water has been a major health issue in developing countries & crisis zones in modern times, and it certainly was so in the middle ages. I get a feeling the guy is "busting myths" so eagerly, that he chooses to ignore the parts which are accurate. While in the era people had some knowledge of purifying water and protecting water sources, weak beer & wine was especially popular as a replacement among the moving armies because soldiers had less chances or time to ensure the purity of water while they were on the move. Typhoid continued to be a major problem for military to the end of 19th century.

Well obviously I made a generalisation, and generalisations concerning lengthy periods & multiple regions and cultures are never entirely accurate, but nevertheless the lack of clean drinking water has been a major health issue in developing countries & crisis zones in modern times, and it certainly was so in the middle ages. I get a feeling the guy is "busting myths" so eagerly, that he chooses to ignore the parts which are accurate. While in the era people had some knowledge of purifying water and protecting water sources, weak beer & wine was especially popular as a replacement among the moving armies because soldiers had less chances or time to ensure the purity of water while they were on the move. Typhoid continued to be a major problem for military to the end of 19th century.

Thats weird because any alcoholic drink equals a negative glass of water meaning you would dehydrate quickly and badly if you used it as a replacement for water. You'd get sick and die especially if you are being active

While you feed your army and pay their wages morale should not be problem. There is no big morale penalties other than these two. Maybe you did not pay or feed them for several days then you started paying / feeding? In that case you get some penalty and it is effecting morale for several days more even you pay / feed. Do you have a sample save file for your problem?
Hard to say since I haven't played the game in 6 months, but i remember both WB and BL that after some time men will desert your party. Paying is done automatic unless leveling up pay im not sure i understand. I lost men to desertion even with money and food as I did long travels without fighting due to slow movement of my large army chasing faster smaller ones. I don't have any save file but maybe this more so the penalty you speak of but i really don't lose many battles( i save before them for replay value) so im not sure.

This is only to share my reasons on why some ideas from Warband/VC would not necessarily make the game better.

For me, especially VC has so many cheap ideas/text-based features that pollute the game. This is where I partly agree with TW that more features would takeaway from the integrity of the game. Please note that these are mostly text-based ideas. I would of course love features like manhunters (Warband), special locations (VC), lord intrigues/duels (Warband), etc. I certainly don't support TW scrapping ideas here and there because they are complex, and a lot of times in the past voiced my take on this.

Anyway, here are a few example ideas that I find cheap and happy that they are not in the game:
  • ... (other similar text-based events/choices)
For me, these do not add immersion. They are just easy/cheap text-based tweaks on the game code.

They just aim to squeeze the most possible stuff into the already limited game features and that makes the game dirty to my eyes.

What the game needs for immersion is more interaction with NPCs that impact the world, more dialogue options about the world state, more scene/town interactions, deeper lord relations, distinct NPC and factions behaviors, etc.

I think things like this should be added but on a toggle. The beauty of Bannerlord or Warband is that it is a single player experience that can be tailored to the level of play that one wishes based on their preferences and that much of this is made possible by the many mods there are available.

Personally what I want is for Taleworlds to create a robust framework where all this and more can be easily modded into the game and then to take a hands off approach and allow modders to flesh things out. That way we all get the gaming experience we desire.

Thats weird because any alcoholic drink equals a negative glass of water meaning you would dehydrate quickly and badly if you used it as a replacement for water. You'd get sick and die especially if you are being active
Man I was gonna post this but then I nope'd out of going to axeshually town :razz: Good work !

He must be thinking of warband, in which maintaining morale from winning fights is necessary if you party is beyond a certain size as bonuses from food and leadership can only do so much.

Hard to say since I haven't played the game in 6 months, but i remember both WB and BL that after some time men will desert your party.
You must be thinking of warband :razz: It's actually really hard to make troops desert in Bannerlord unless you go over you troop limit. Not feeding them keeps docking your moral -5 but it must drop very low before any will desert and bounces back up once you get food. Having like 150+ leadership would make it almost impossible to drop you moral low enough too, however I think it's been changed now.

Back
Top Bottom