SP - General Some historically-inspired feature ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Initially these were written with the idea of being mods but some might be cool to implement in native, even if not fully as written here.

I will paste the text from a document I wrote. Keep in mind that I don't know C#, but I have a slight idea of how the in-game code is set up so I tried to account for this when designing the ideas. I recognize that not all of these would be everyone's cup of tea.

Feature number 1: Status

Social and martial status was extremely important in most historical societies, and more often than not they went hand in hand. So here’s a way I believe such a feature could be implemented into bannerlord, with the use of ‘Status points’.

They would be split into two. ‘Personal status’ and ‘army status’. The ‘status points’ would be a value which determines people’s reactions to you. High points would yield favourable reactions, and low points would yield disdainful reactions from the higher classes in society.

For example a player with a low personal status would not be allowed inside of castles, would not be allowed to wear high status clothes (due to sumptuary laws), and wouldn’t be given the opportunity to serve the lord as a vassal.

Personal status points could be impacted by a few things. Fashionable clothes and armour would raise the status points when worn, but outdated and low-class armour, weapons and clothes would decrease it. This would be achieved by giving each individual item a hidden ‘status value’. The renown of the individual (a value already in game) would also raise the status points. Criminal rating would severely lower them.

‘Army status’ would work similarly. Having an army with up to date and modern soldiers would raise the army status, while having soldiers with old and outdated equipment would lower it (the value would depend on the aforementioned values assigned to individual items, and in this case the median would be taken from the combined values of the soldiers).
Winning battles and accumulating renown would also raise the army status, while losing battles would lower it.

A low army status would mean that lords are less likely to hire you as a mercenary and offer less in payment. A high army status would mean that interest in hiring your party would be high and the money offered would also be much greater.

Feature number 2: Personal Mercenary recruitment

In history, mercenaries were often hired in groups or companies. However, what if you wanted to create your own company? This feature is intended to come close to the way historical companies recruited their members.

The main idea is that recruitment would be quite different from the normal troops. One would go into a town and put out an ‘advertisement’ for recruitment (this would be done through a menu). In the menu one can select what type of troops one wishes to recruit. As you might know the armour in the game is divided by tiers, so you’d have the option of requesting the recruits to show up with a minimum tier of armour for the body, head, legs and hands.

(for example you set the bar at a t4 helmet and a tier 2 torso).

Then you’d have a specific chance to recruit troops per day based on factors discussed below. If you’re lucky you could pull several recruits per day, but if you’re unlucky you could go several days without recruiting any.

Putting out strict requirements would guarantee well equipped troops, but it would also lower the chances of getting any recruits (an arbitrary number would be that you have a 100% chance to score at least one recruit per day with no equipment, but a 5% to score one with the highest level equipment). Recruits with more equipment would also request more pay. The higher renown you have, the higher the chance of scoring recruits.

The recruits would then pull random armour from the culture the town has if they show up. Potentially there could be a feature to request specific pieces of armour instead of just a tier, but this would then lower the recruitment chances.

There could also be a feature where one can send out officers to do the recruiting for you instead of having to personally be in the town. This was also a thing done historically.

Feature number 3: Less specific troop upgrades

This is the one I am least confident about since I don’t know if one can change the upgrade system. But the idea is that instead of upgrading to a specific equipment, the troop would instead only be given general directives towards the equipment it would pick.

Instead of having the upgrade specify a nasal helmet and a mail hauberk, it would instead only say a ‘Tier 3 helmet’ and ‘Tier 4 body armour’, letting the computer randomly pick from all of the available items which fit that.

But here’s the main part. This would depend on the culture you’re currently in. So if you were from the Empire but campaigning in Aserai lands, every troop you upgrade in Aserai lands would pull from the available armour assigned to the Aserai culture (since you’d only be able to find the armour which is locally sold). Or if you were campaigning in vlandia, they’d pull from the vlandian pool.

And if you wish to avoid this, you have to wait until you reach back home to upgrade the soldiers. An additional feature would be an option to tell all of your troops to re-equip themselves with the local gear, but this would cost you money.

Feature number 4: Troop readiness and exhaustion

Marching is annoying. Marching in armour is even more so. This is the reason for why soldiers on the march rarely armoured up fully, and would wear lighter configurations (if anything at all) for better comfort.

The idea is that this would be represented in bannerlord. By default, when travelling, your soldiers would be armoured lightly (could be solved by giving them alternate loadouts). If you want them to armour up you’d have to press a button to do so, which would take some time on the overland map.

But if you marched in full gear your soldiers would become exhausted after a little while, lowering their effectiveness in battle. On the other hand if you got ambushed without having the time to armour up, you and your troops would be in battle with the light armour instead of the full protection.

This would create a very interesting dynamic to armies and would create an advantage to catching them unawares.

Feature number 5: Supply carts

Armies would often bring supply carts with weapons and ammunition. This could be a feature when creating an army in bannerlord.

The downside of bringing carts would be that the army would move slower. The more carts are brought with the army, the more the speed is impacted. They would also of course cost an unspecified amount to buy (can be tweaked at will).

However bringing them would have the benefit of being able to equip your troops better. For example the carts could contain polearms, which could be grabbed by the archers once they’re out of arrows (this was done in some historical battles).

In real life, knights would also sometimes bring several polearms into battle. Since they obviously cannot carry more than one on the person the secondary ones would be carried by servants or put into carts. In the late medieval period usually a knight brought a lance and a pollaxe, and would switch to his pollaxe once the situation called for it. With this feature, that could potentially be implemented.

Both of the things above would pair very well with unsheathable polearms and large weapons.

The carts would also be able to contain extra ammo for the ranged troops. So in the end while the carts would be expensive and would slow the army down, they’d provide large benefits in the actual battles.

Feature number 1: Status
Reknown is there already. That´s more or less the "Personal status" you speak about. It can ofc be extended by wearing high tier armour and clothes, but to make it illegal/not possible for the player "Dress above your rank" would not be very fun.

Wealth can buy status. Armystrenght can earn status. Basically, without an army/strong band/good economy, your reknown is working against you.
Feature number 2: Personal Mercenary recruitment
Feature number 3: Less specific troop upgrades
Though I like the thought of these ideas, the troop-trees are the core of M&B. Having to store all equipment for each individual troop-unit would make the game unbearable. Imagine all additional information that whould have to go into memory and savefiles. How many parties are in the game day 1? 15/faction(?) + 3(?) x cities caravans + 1(?) x villager-parties/village, bandits, looters... Probably several 100 parties in total.

What is doable though is to add mor armorparts to the individual unittemplates and give the game less random selectioncriterias for it. But to differ between Legionaries that were upgraded i Empire land and Legionaries upgraded in foraign land, I don't think is doable.

Feature number 4: Troop readiness and exhaustion
Feature number 5: Supply carts
I like the idea!

Again we have the issue with custom armour and weapons for troops.

To make 4 and 5 stick together, instead make travelling lightly summon the supply-carts.

So instead of sinking the speed for better gear, they are part of increasing the speed and reducing moral-hit for marching at the cost of worse armour, if you have enough animals to drag the carts. Carts could be an item, like pack animals. They only affect speed positively if there are T3+ troops in the army/band and you have "Travel lightly" mode. - T2 has only light armour. I cart has X gear-slots and requires Y horses/mules. T3-T4 consumes 1 slot. T5-6 consumes 2.

Reknown is there already. That´s more or less the "Personal status" you speak about. It can ofc be extended by wearing high tier armour and clothes, but to make it illegal/not possible for the player "Dress above your rank" would not be very fun.

Wealth can buy status. Armystrenght can earn status. Basically, without an army/strong band/good economy, your reknown is working against you.
Yeah, that feature was initially brainstormed for a historical mod, and probably would clash with the simplicity of native design. The main point of it would be to incentivise using up to date and expensive weapons, armour and equipment even if the cheap stuff provides as much protection (which would be the case in such a mod).

In native the cheaper stuff is always worse though so that's not much of a thing.

Though I like the thought of these ideas, the troop-trees are the core of M&B.
These were once again also brainstormed mainly as a feature to have in a historical late medieval mod. The idea with the mercenaries would be to provide alternative recruitment to the main type - which would be unavailable for a player not a vassal of a faction. That was the idea at least - it is not designed with native gameplay in mind either.

Mainly included it just because.

Sometimes I think that mod makers are more professional than origin game developers. As a common user I sometimes see the unlogical not appropriate dismissed and not accurate issues in game. And when you see those things you ask how could they or why did they did this way? )) For example diplomacy. We can say there is no diplomacy in game. 2 factions start war and after a month they make peace. After one more month they fight again. And then peace again. What is that? No challenge.

Back
Top Bottom