Some advice

Users who are viewing this thread

I've played M&B only a bit and I'm not a particularly skilled player. I've never launched my own kingdom but was interested in achieving this in this excellent mod. I do however have serious problems in my campaign. I've joined Mierce which is the faction with the most cities and I also have put the difficulty at easiest. I'm having 2 villages and a few shops and a army of 150 people. I win most fights due to the difficulty setting and avoiding the largest armies. But eventuelly I've gotten into  big problems. Most countries seems to dislike Mierce and huge armies keep invading and razing my villages to the ground. Mierce is only having 2 active lords and with them I sometimes conquer a town or castle. But the enemy quickly gain them back by sheer numbers.  In my game everyone is switching loyalty all the time. And small factions can have huge armies. Its really confusing.

I wonder what I should do besides grind and get more shops and thus larger army.

shaelor said:
I've played M&B only a bit and I'm not a particularly skilled player.

Neither am I. But in my opinions, holding a fief as a vassal isn't a direct step towards having your own kingdom. It's mostly a way to be abble to pay for larger army wages.

If Mierce have only 2 active lords, you could see if some of them are emprisonned somewhere and try to free them. Or you coul profit of the situation and rebel yourself by taking some fiefs from the not well defended Mierce kingdom.

Good luck!

I wonder how much religion affects politics in the mod. Mierce is one of the few pagan factions. But they are also in a middle position with many borders, so that probably doesn't help either.

You might consider switching to another faction with more lords. Try to take a castle or town on your own first. You best bet is one that has changed hands at least once, as this will have a smaller garrison.

If you manage to take something, you will become an independent king. You could try to survive this way, but with low RTR that is suicidal. You best bet is to pledge fealty to a neighboring king. Unless you have negative relations he should accept you. Then your relations will reset, and you'll only be at war with whoever is at war with your new faction.

i recommend you look at the guide posted in the strategy section  :grin: . grinding sucks, but, the realism of the period requires a little more work than native. a new kingdom requires a lot of cash! no way around it. i mean, you're gonna be a king after all. you will definitely start off at war with multiple kingdoms. accept it. so many alliances that you will anger a few people when you take a town from someone. also you could get your current character to a point with some cash, and export him/her. start a new game (character with same name) and import. you will start off more powerful and have to grind less to get into a strong position. as a new king you will not have lords running to you. and you can start successfully with low rtr, though it will be tough. gaining rtr is fastest as king, when you get peace and trade agreements. though, as stated in the guide, it is recommended that you exploit the companions you don't keep to raise your right to rule. 50 rtr is suggested for native. trying to get that as a adventurer may be tough. you will have to send out a lot of companions. though not impossible. also renown and honor are equally important. a good persuasion skill can help as well. i prefer a strong sword arm. killing off 1k enemy troops in less than a week is very persuasive.

the guide: edit:also at the top of the forum now :smile:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,155372.0.html

Thanks for the advice! Very appreciated.

I've actually switched from Pengwern due to the same thng happening to them. Lords switching loyalties all the time and hard to keep any territory. I guess this is to make certain no faction to become all powerful?

every game is different. i've restarted a few times. some times a faction takes a strong start, some times that faction is quickly stomped out. sounds like you have a wild game going.

shaelor said:
Thanks for the advice! Very appreciated.

I've actually switched from Pengwern due to the same thng happening to them. Lords switching loyalties all the time and hard to keep any territory. I guess this is to make certain no faction to become all powerful?

There is a similar problem in Native. It depends on the lords personalities, the amount of battles that the faction is losing, and a few other things that I can't remember.

blackitalian's guide is a good source for tips and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom