Need More Info SOLVED- PERFORMING FIRST TIME SET UP 1 of 1 CRASH- GUIDE TO A FIX

Users who are viewing this thread

After 20 hours of my free time spent on trying to dioagnose the cause of this issue, I have now fixed it. I'm no IT, so this is just a basic guide that I can explain in my best ability to help you.

So how did I fix it? Well... with a clean install of Windows 10.

Don't threat, that was MY last resort option.

(1) What is the problem?

The problem is one of the redists (.net Framwork 4.7.2 Setup or one of the other 3 programs) is crashing everytime you launch the game (because steam is trying to install it for you). Have task manager open, when you launch Bannerlord via steam you will see .net Framework 4.7.2 set up being most active process at the top of your running programs. You will notice that it will disappear and that's when the launcher on steam reverts back to a green play button.

(2) What causes the crash?

When installing .net Framework 4.7.2 manually from the dev guide I noticed that it failed to install because of my windows version, which was 1607 (over 3 years old)- my fault for being lazy. So as I said in point 1, when steam tries to install it for you (prompting the "performing first time set up 1 of 1" message) the net. Framework launches its setup - and as it does with the manual install, it crashes prompting steam to cancel it. Thus you have a never ending cycle of being a brainlet Grug like me and clicking the green button til it go boom

(3) What can you do?

If you're using an outdated version of Windows 10 then you need to upgrade it to the latest version of windows (upgrading will not wipe your harddrives - look for relevant guides). You can find the latest updates on microsofts downloads for windows (v1909). If the update fails as it often did with me, then you need to first activate windows with a key. If it still doesn't update then read the following:

For me, upgrading/updating to 1909 wouldn't work because something was preventing it, and I just have so much junk that to go through every relevant program would take up too much time. The update kept failing, and I'm not a fan of working when I am on my weekends. So, I backed up and saved what I could and purged my harddrive clean, reformatted to a GPT disk and prepared it for a fresh install of Windows.

Lastly, after the windows set up, I launched steam and then bannerlord. The steam message game up, and performed all set ups normally.

Now framework is installed and the game works.

(Conclusion) What does this tell us?

That this isn't a game issue that the devs can fix for you. Nor is it a problem with your Anti Virus or Steam. The best they can do is to give you a (much better) guide like this on how to fix it because this is a problem with your personal software on your computer. Unforuntately, this software is most likely your OS. It can't be the framework, because it is much newer than my old version of windows and it is currently installed allowing me to play the game.

Considering this has worked for me, I've found the only fix that is currently known, as well as the cause. Nobody is going to like it but it's either a clean install, upgrade or simply going through your apps and deleting anything that could be causing an issue with windows. I had 3 terabytes of software, so I went for the clean install. Worked a wonders,and I backed up everything I wanted to keep.

I chose to do a clean install because I've waited for this game since I was 15-16, and I'm turning 24 this year so there was no way I was going to let this issue prevent me from playing it. I don't think any gameplay crash is going to ruin my time because at least the game launches now.

Small disclaimer
This maybe the only fix for it that I have found, the issue could be different for you but not so far disimilar to mine. I recommend anyone to first try diagnosing a problem with Windows and exhausted all other options until you are left with a clean install.

Last edited:
That this isn't a game issue that the devs can fix for you. Nor is it a problem with your Anti Virus or Steam. The best they can do is to give you a (much better) guide like this on how to fix it because this is a problem with your personal software on your computer. Unforuntately, this software is most likely your OS. It can't be the framework, because it is much newer than my old version of windows and it is currently installed allowing me to play the game.

Considering this has worked for me, I've found the only fix that is currently known, as well as the cause. Nobody is going to like it but it's either a clean install, upgrade or simply going through your apps and deleting anything that could be causing an issue with windows. I had 3 terabytes of software, so I went for the clean install. Worked a wonders,and I backed up everything I wanted to keep.

I chose to do a clean install because I've waited for this game since I was 15-16, and I'm turning 24 this year so there was no way I was going to let this issue prevent me from playing it. I don't think any gameplay crash is going to ruin my time because at least the game launches now.

Small disclaimer
This maybe the only fix for it that I have found, the issue could be different for you but not so far disimilar to mine. I recommend anyone to first try diagnosing a problem with Windows and exhausted all other options until you are left with a clean install.

Well I'd like to invite you to my start-game-crash THREAD.
I'm running latest windows, latest drivers, all required software, good enough hardware and at this point spent good 30 hours trying different solutions and fixes. I have 6 hours of "played time" on Steam just from launching and crashing over and over again.
Ofc I tried reinstalling my OS and checking if the game works on a fresh, clean setup. I tried that and many other things.

So unless you can tell me what's wrong and how to fix it, please don't spread stuff like "That this isn't a game issue that the devs can fix for you".

Well I'd like to invite you to my start-game-crash THREAD.
I'm running latest windows, latest drivers, all required software, good enough hardware and at this point spent good 30 hours trying different solutions and fixes. I have 6 hours of "played time" on Steam just from launching and crashing over and over again.
Ofc I tried reinstalling my OS and checking if the game works on a fresh, clean setup. I tried that and many other things.

So unless you can tell me what's wrong and how to fix it, please don't spread stuff like "That this isn't a game issue that the devs can fix for you".

Listen, don't take your fustrations at me. Look at the first sentence in my post and read my disclaimer at the bottom.

"I'm no IT, so this is just a basic guide that I can explain in my best ability to help you. "

"Don't threat, that was MY last resort option. "

Next response, don't blast me expecting me to drop everything to help you. If you want me to help you? Cut the **** and tell me everything you've done thus far with a bit of respect. I get it, it's fustrating, the hours I spent every hour after 14 hour shifts trying to fix it this entire last week; deleting, reading and installing **** that didn't work. It sucks, but I didn't take it out on people that tried to help. But I'm not spending my weekend arguing over fustrations, yeah?

So, now in regards to the issue.

Now my problem was that the game wasn't starting. If you are not seeing "Performing first time set up 1 of 1" and then *crash*, this isn't going to fix your issue. If the game is crashing when you are actually in the game, this is still not going to be a fix to your issue because yours is a game problem. My problem was a very specific one relating to everything I said in my guide.

So, if you ARE seeing "Performing first time set up 1 of 1", then the problem is on your side not the games.

When I did a clean install it was only to fix my problem with windows. The problem was that windows was not updating to 1909, the latest version. My version was to old to install the net Framework required which is why steam kept crashing and a million bugs was preventing me from updating to the 1909 update of windows.

The crux of it isn't the game because the game doesn't even launch it's exe. Steam is trying to install a Microsoft program that is not compatible with your version of windows.

In your case is your windows up to date with the current version of windows? Whe you did the "fresh" install, did you do a proper clean? Formatted the harddrive and all? Which means erasing the drive from the original version of windows and all of the files on it? Answer the questions or add any information of what you have done, don't respond to anything else. I want to help, but I'm not going to argue with you.

Listen, don't take your fustrations at me. Look at the first sentence in my post and read my disclaimer at the bottom.

"I'm no IT, so this is just a basic guide that I can explain in my best ability to help you. "

"Don't threat, that was MY last resort option. "

Next response, don't blast me expecting me to drop everything to help you. If you want me to help you? Cut the **** and tell me everything you've done thus far with a bit of respect. I get it, it's fustrating, the hours I spent every hour after 14 hour shifts trying to fix it this entire last week; deleting, reading and installing **** that didn't work. It sucks, but I didn't take it out on people that tried to help. But I'm not spending my weekend arguing over fustrations, yeah?

So, now in regards to the issue.

Now my problem was that the game wasn't starting. If you are not seeing "Performing first time set up 1 of 1" and then *crash*, this isn't going to fix your issue. If the game is crashing when you are actually in the game, this is still not going to be a fix to your issue because yours is a game problem. My problem was a very specific one relating to everything I said in my guide.

So, if you ARE seeing "Performing first time set up 1 of 1", then the problem is on your side not the games.

When I did a clean install it was only to fix my problem with windows. The problem was that windows was not updating to 1909, the latest version. My version was to old to install the net Framework required which is why steam kept crashing and a million bugs was preventing me from updating to the 1909 update of windows.

The crux of it isn't the game because the game doesn't even launch it's exe. Steam is trying to install a Microsoft program that is not compatible with your version of windows.

In your case is your windows up to date with the current version of windows? Whe you did the "fresh" install, did you do a proper clean? Formatted the harddrive and all? Which means erasing the drive from the original version of windows and all of the files on it? Answer the questions or add any information of what you have done, don't respond to anything else. I want to help, but I'm not going to argue with you.

Hey man I also don't wanna argue and I'm sorry if it sounded like that.

I'm just tired of people telling me on those forums that it is my fault that the game isn't working.

Getting the latest Windows update was one of the first things I've tried. Getting all software updates devs suggested was also done on day 1. If you want all the details you can read one of the many crash report threads I made. There are multiple threads as my crash was evolving and changing between all those 4 hotfixes devs made (crash on 1st or 2nd load screen, different error logs). Otherwise you could just simply believe me I tried every single possible fix. And answering your question, yes I formatted my ssd and reinstalled Windows 10, got all the updates, drivers and necessary software and the game still didn't work on a fresh install and the error log was the same as before.

Moreover every single other game, including other early access games always worked and started just fine. I had some crashes in other EA games, but it was during gameplay and those were coding errors that devs fixed later.

That's why I'm thinking it's not a fault of my software or OS or hardware but some issue with the game itself.

I understand there are still people here that didn't update their net frameworks or graphic card drivers or run old version of windows, but I'd argue that any rational person checked that stuff on day 1 of game release.

Hey man I also don't wanna argue and I'm sorry if it sounded like that.

I'm just tired of people telling me on those forums that it is my fault that the game isn't working.

Getting the latest Windows update was one of the first things I've tried. Getting all software updates devs suggested was also done on day 1. If you want all the details you can read one of the many crash report threads I made. There are multiple threads as my crash was evolving and changing between all those 4 hotfixes devs made (crash on 1st or 2nd load screen, different error logs). Otherwise you could just simply believe me I tried every single possible fix. And answering your question, yes I formatted my ssd and reinstalled Windows 10, got all the updates, drivers and necessary software and the game still didn't work on a fresh install and the error log was the same as before.

Moreover every single other game, including other early access games always worked and started just fine. I had some crashes in other EA games, but it was during gameplay and those were coding errors that devs fixed later.

That's why I'm thinking it's not a fault of my software or OS or hardware but some issue with the game itself.

I understand there are still people here that didn't update their net frameworks or graphic card drivers or run old version of windows, but I'd argue that any rational person checked that stuff on day 1 of game release.

It's alright man I know that it gets fustrating, this wasn't my first rodeo.

In my case, I knew it was windows I was just exhausting my options so I didn't have to do a clean install. In fact I spent the majority of my time trying to fix windows than I did fixing Bannerlord- because I never had to fix it. I know that for sure because I never had crash logs.

Like I said, if you are able to actually launch the Bannerlord.exe application and your crash experiences happen afterwards, then it's most likely a game issue and not related to the issue I was having

A lot of people have had the same problem as me and windows is the most likely culprit. In your case I'd say that it is the game, if you are able to launch it.

I don't think I can help you and I don't want to lead you on false hope, but one thing is for sure- keep posting and don't stop until the devs see it. Ya don't want it to get buried.

Hello, sorry for the late reply. We have fixed a considerable amount of the problems we have encountered so far and improved the game performance with the multiple patches we have released. Please make sure that your game, your drivers, and OS are up to date and the game has necessary permissions over your security software. Please let us know if the problem persists after completing these steps and verifying the integrity of the game files through Steam.

Back
Top Bottom