Soldiers on the battlefield

Users who are viewing this thread

How many soldiers will be in a single battle?
We have previously demonstrated battles of around 600 individual units in singleplayer battles – each with their own detailed AI, controlling the swings of their sword and expressions on their face. The number this will reach at release is not yet defined, however we are optimistic that our custom engine, developed in-house, will enable us to exceed that figure and reach even higher, depending on hardware. 

Aight so this is wha the Q&A says, i Would love to see a freaking huge battle but what number are we talking about? 600 is confirmed this far, i can live with tha number as it will mostly get to advanced to keep a track on yer soldiers in The field If its get to be to much men on the battlefield, especially If yer having smaller companies with soldiers and yer The only one commanding Them without a really good AI or a friend or 2 acting as playable officers,

What im trying to say is tha it Would be cool with thousand o soldiers on The field but will it be manageable fer the player to actually be able to manage this amount o soldiers without going full commander a la Total War Game?

What is yer thoughts?

It has already been confirmed that there will be an AI Sergeant system.

Sergeant System – Commanders now designate units to other lords in battle, including the player! Execute the orders issued by your commander throughout the fight, and use your own instincts to do your part and help secure victory on the field of battle. Lead the horse archers as they skirmish and harass the enemy to disrupt their lines before your allies finish them off, or take control of the cavalry and charge into the fray to devastate entire units at once!

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/mount-blade-2-bannerlord-footage-shows-what-happens-when-armies-clash/

I say that big battles are good, but battles that don't crash my computer are even better.

So it will be about how much TW can optimize it so that it won't break the average gaming computer (note that I'm not a computer guy, so maybe I'm just talking bull**** here).

Ra'Jiska said:

Sergeant System – Commanders now designate units to other lords in battle, including the player! Execute the orders issued by your commander throughout the fight, and use your own instincts to do your part and help secure victory on the field of battle. Lead the horse archers as they skirmish and harass the enemy to disrupt their lines before your allies finish them off, or take control of the cavalry and charge into the fray to devastate entire units at once!

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/mount-blade-2-bannerlord-footage-shows-what-happens-when-armies-clash/

Aye i know about the seargent system but i get The feeling its only when yerself are part o another lords army, Will The seargent system work ger yer own army?

SirStart said:
Ra'Jiska said:

Aye i know about the seargent system but i get The feeling its only when yerself are part o another lords army, Will The seargent system work ger yer own army?

To my understandings, it's when you join a marshal, for instance, he leads his troops and yours, but allow you to be sergeant of a detachment. Maybe we'll be able to designate sergeants as well if we are marshal

Kehlian said:
SirStart said:
Ra'Jiska said:

To my understandings, it's when you join a marshal, for instance, he leads his troops and yours, but allow you to be sergeant of a detachment. Maybe we'll be able to designate sergeants as well if we are marshal

Well i hope they create a good system fer this as i think it gets a bit to difficult in WB to handle armies bigger then 200 men fer example and I dont want The game getting to be to much o a Total War game as i could easy just play one o those game instead as it is easier to handle armies there.

SirStart said:

Hmm... there is written that Commanders are assigning sergeants.
I actually did not think much about it but to me the commander is the one leading the battle, whether it's the player or an AI.

I concede that this may need a little clarification on this though.

Ra'Jiska said:
SirStart said:

I actually did not think much about it but to me the commander is the one leading the battle, whether it's the player or an AI.

Aye a clarification on it Would be lovely to see, though If there is a seargent system fer yer own army i hope The AI i powerfull enough to adapt to certain situations otherwise its completely useless and i can manage my own troops through the "backspace" UI (dont remember wha its called)  :roll:

SirStart said:
Ra'Jiska said:
SirStart said:

Aye a clarification on it Would be lovely to see, though If there is a seargent system fer yer own army i hope The AI i powerfull enough to adapt to certain situations otherwise its completely useless and i can manage my own troops through the "backspace" UI (dont remember wha its called)  :roll:
Battlemap ?

SirStart said:
Ra'Jiska said:
SirStart said:

IIRC, the backspace map/battle map will not exist in Bannerlord. I can't recall where I read/heard that though.

What I'd like to see, is that as a commander, i assign sergeants, (a companion, or another lord if I'm king) but I can still give them orders. And when I don't for some time, the AI takes back over this particular detachement. This way, I'm not forced to micromanage too much, but I still can if I think the AI doesn't follow the kind of strategy I want.
Having a way of preventing the AI to take back over would be helpful, like an order «stay no matter what» or something

Kehlian said:
What I'd like to see, is that as a commander, i assign sergeants, (a companion, or another lord if I'm king) but I can still give them orders. And when I don't for some time, the AI takes back over this particular detachement. This way, I'm not forced to micromanage too much, but I still can if I think the AI doesn't follow the kind of strategy I want.
Having a way of preventing the AI to take back over would be helpful, like an order «stay no matter what» or something

Aye i want to get past to much micromanagement as it would just end up yer standing still while commanding yer troops instead o getting into the fight, sure some people might find tha a nice thing to do being a commander, (me to, to some extent) but if the game revolves to much around it, it might get a bit boring after a while as ye need to control everything and dont have time to join the fight if ye dont like need to learn in all the key commands and such like in WB.

And About tha Battlemap in WB, dunno but i dont really have a Battlemap more then a transparent box with flags in it i can move around, its not showing any ground or anything so its a bit hard to exactly know where yer ordering yer soldiers XD

I think with battles larger than 1000, you would have to get back from the battle and pass time give orders, and how you give orders to the soldiers far away ? You would need flags trumpets or drums... a quarter staff and also make a general plan before the battle and hope your "Sergeants" do the job. Go help them if you see the battle getting bad for you, or sending order of retreat with horns trumpets or drums.

It could be an interesting way of play, in bigger battles like that if its your army you could not need any combat skills at all, or you could just command troops nearby and give the rest to companions. It would not be the same gameplay. Could be fun if game let you control some sergeants to be in the heart of battle.

Back
Top Bottom