"...sold over a million copies in less than 7hours..." is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

" In fact, it wouldn't be a surprise if Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord has already sold over a million copies in less than 7 hours after its launch "
its his opinion
nice clickbait nonetheless

You should probably use the full quote,

"In fact, it wouldn't be a surprise if Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord has already sold over a million copies in less than 7 hours after its launch."

Less a claim that it has sold over a million, and more a statement about the insane sales and how well it is doing so far

Steamspy says it's over 2 million (might be a bit high though), but not that far-fetched given people playing any given time of these last days has been over 200k which would result in roughly 10% of owners playing.

With some napkin math, they must've made some $60M in three days, at the lowest.
I'd note that they "grossed" 60M rather than "made" 60M. This thing had an incredibly long predevelopment cycle, it wouldn't surprise me if they still weren't anywhere near the black.

I have to wonder if the sales have attracted just 'old' players, or if any signiticant portion of buyers are newcomers to the franchise? Warband has around the same number of estimated owners.

I have to wonder if the sales have attracted just 'old' players, or if any signiticant portion of buyers are newcomers to the franchise? Warband has around the same number of estimated owners.

Probably a lot of Warband owners for the first few days, but a colleague was asking me about the game yesterday, and he hasn't played any of the previous titles.

With some napkin math, they must've made some $60M in three days, at the lowest.

More napkin math.. Imagination..:

Lets say $10million development cost(total) till now.. And the profit after publishing(etc)costs from each copy = $10 .. We need a million copies to left most of the costs behind. One more for fixes. One more for visual adjustments, and another one for new content next month. Modding + Servers.. hmm

I wish they sell 5 milloan copies in a month. :party:

I'd note that they "grossed" 60M rather than "made" 60M. This thing had an incredibly long predevelopment cycle, it wouldn't surprise me if they still weren't anywhere near the black.

True that. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they released Bannerlord 'early' to help them keep afloat. Even with Warband's and its dlc's revenue they were probably running low on budget.

More napkin math.. Imagination..:

As someone has stated above this is gross income, it's significantly harder to know how much net benefit they have or will have. My napkin math was just lowest pricepoint * lowest estimate of sales, minus Steam's cut.

True that. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they released Bannerlord 'early' to help them keep afloat. Even with Warband's and its dlc's revenue they were probably running low on budget.
Based on its current state you might easily be right. Hopefully they can get it to a place that even if they have to stop development, the modders can there.

I hope they don't have to stop development. I tried to make my estimate as 'pessimistic' as possible, that is the lowest price achievable with the lowest amount of sales and with Steam's price cut. They have likely earned some more.
Edit: And if I were to bet we'll probably start seeing dlc like Viking Conquest and NW not too far in the future (a couple years), which will be another important revenue stream for them.

Back
Top Bottom